Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 09-21-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
williemeikle
Are the stars right yet?
williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Carnacki: Heaven and Hell - $2.99

My occult detective collection Carnacki: Heaven and Hell is now out on e-book.

It will be on the Kindle soon, but has gone up today on Smashwords, only $2.99 in a variety of formats for reading on most devices and PCs

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/24806

Contains the stories

The Blooded Iklwa
The Larkhill Barrow
The Sisters of Mercy
The Hellfire Mirror
The Beast of Glamys
The Tomb of Pyrea
The Lusitania
The Haunted Oak

williemeikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
williemeikle
Are the stars right yet?
williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Carnacki: Heaven and Hell - only $1.99

We've had the Ghostbusters and the Scooby Gang, John Constantine and Buffy, and Sam and Dean, the Winchester Brothers. But before all of them one man carried the fight to the forces of evil, armed only with his wits, his science, and his arcane knowledge.

Meet an Edwardian occult detective who goes where no other gentleman will dare, venturing deep into neolithic barrows, into the crypts of ancient cathedrals and fighting the elemental powers of darkness on his own terms.

Meet Carnacki: Ghostfinder, now also on the Kindle

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045UA7E0/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0045UA7E0/

http://www.smashwords.com/b/24806

Last edited by williemeikle; 10-07-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
williemeikle
Are the stars right yet?

Quote from a reader on my new Carnacki collection: "I can't turn the pages fast enough." That's what I like to hear.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:14 AM   #4
williemeikle
Are the stars right yet?

Here's a quick blurb for each of the stories...

The Blooded Iklwa
An old soldier turns up on Carnacki's doorstep with tales of a souvenir that is taking a bloody revenge for old grievances. Soon Carnacki has to contend with a malevolent spirit intent on blood. Can he identify the source of the attacks and stop the Zulu Iklwa? Or will his client be forced to suffer a death of a thousand cuts?

The Larkhill Barrow
The military are testing a new weapon at Larkhill on Salisbury Plain. But in doing so, they have wakened something old, something that brings a creeping fear to every man in the camp. Carnacki must call on all his experience to halt a terror that has been called up out of the Plain, an ancient darkness that will haunt your dreams.

The Sisters of Mercy
Someone, or something, is murdering the residents of the Royal Hospital. Battle hardened old soldiers lie sick abed in fear for their lives... and their souls. Only someone with intimate knowledge of the powers of darkness can help them. Step forward Carnacki: Ghostfinder

The Hellfire Mirror
A strange package left on his doorstep piques Carnacki's interest. Further investigation shows it to an antique mirror, once the property of Lord Dashwood. This same mirror witnessed the rituals of the notorious Hellfire Club... and some of the doings of the club have left their mark, leading Carnacki into a fight to stop his own home from being overrun with the forces of darkness.

The Beast of Glamys
Carnacki is called to the aid of a Scottish Lord whose daughter is being menaced by apparitions in her bedchamber. The investigation leads Carnacki to a remote castle in Scotland, and the uncovering of the secret behind a legend that has persisted for centuries.

The Tomb of Pygea
A new arch is being built in the Mall. But work has stopped, as a chamber is uncovered deep in the foundations. Something whispers down there in the dark, and only Carnacki has the skills, and the nerve, to descend, and to listen.

The Lusitania
Something is screaming on the flagship of the Cunard line. The Lusitania is berthed in Liverpool, deserted by passengers and crew, stuck in port until Carnacki can remove the cause of their terror. But some apparitions are more persistent than others.

The Haunted Oak
Carnacki is called in to investigate a strange old tree in a churchyard. The vicar believes it is haunted and needs Carnacki's expertise. But some things are best left to take their course -- natural, or supernatural.

Last edited by williemeikle; 10-16-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:29 PM   #5
williemeikle
Are the stars right yet?

The first 3 of these stories were published as chapbooks, and picked up a great review at THE BLACK ABYSS

"Fans will be glad to know that William Meikle’s Carnacki is a faithful reproduction (even the rainbow coloured electric pentacle survives intact)."

http://blackabyss.co.uk/2010/01/carn...illiam-meikle/
Old 11-01-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Uh, am I correct that these are all brand-new stories? Since the original ones have been written by William Hope Hodgson early last century.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:27 AM   #7
williemeikle
Are the stars right yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
Uh, am I correct that these are all brand-new stories? Since the original ones have been written by William Hope Hodgson early last century.
Yes, brand new, by me, using the character.

Here's what I say in the foreword:-

I write to escape.

My brain needed something, and writing gave it what was required. That point, back nearly twenty years ago, was like switching on an engine, one that has been running steadily ever since.

And most of the time, the things that engine chooses to give me to write are very pulpy. I'd love to have a chance to write a Tarzan, John Carter, Allan Quartermain, Mike Hammer or Conan novel, whereas a lot of writers I know would sniff and turn their noses up at the very thought of it.

Most of the aforesaid characters are trademarked and off-bounds for writers without paying licensing fees.

Carnacki however is fair game.

Nowadays there is a plethora of detectives in both book and film who may seem to use the trappings of crime solvers, but get involved in the supernatural. William Hjortsberg's Falling Angel (the book that led to the movie Angel Heart) is a fine example, an expert blending of gumshoe and deviltry that is one of my favorite books. Likewise, in the movies, we have cops facing a demon in Denzel Washington's Fallen that plays like a police procedural taken to a very dark place.

My interest goes further back to the "gentleman detective" era where we have seekers of truth in Blackwood's John Silence and... and William Hope Hodgson's Carnacki.

Carnacki resonated with me immediately on my first reading many years ago. Several of the stories have a Lovecraftian viewpoint, with cosmic entities that have no regard for the doings of mankind. The background Hodgson proposes fits with some of my own viewpoint on the ways the Universe might function, and the slightly formal Edwardian language seems to be a "voice" I fall into naturally.

These eight tales see Carnacki pitted against a variety of foes. and sees me working out more aspects of the cosmology.

There will be more to come.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
williemeikle
Are the stars right yet?

CARNACKI: HEAVEN AND HELL is the book in the draw this month at my Facebook page.

Just head over and leave a comment -- you'll be entered in the draw to win a copy at the end of the month.

http://www.facebook.com/williammeikle
Old 12-09-2010, 11:55 AM   #9
williemeikle
Are the stars right yet?

3 reviews on Amazon so far, 15 stars in total :-)

Quote:
...these tales are perfect for curling up on a foggy night with a bottle and a fire.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:05 PM   #10
ChupaLibro
Julio Angel Ortiz
ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Oooh I'm going to have to pick this up. I fell in love with the original Hodgson stories (and his work in general) after reading this character used in the Doctor Who novella Foreign Devils by Andrew Cartmel. After reading where Cartmel discovered the Carnacki, I found them available as free eBooks an the rest is history.
ChupaLibro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carnacki, detective, meikle, occult, short stories