Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-09-2010, 09:54 PM   #1
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
.GPX format to epub?

I'm wondering if any of you know of a way to convert .gpx files (http://www.topografix.com/gpx.asp) to something readable and search-able and semi-formatted.

I currently use a PDA, but it's a pain in the arse, and I'd much rather download a searchable document and keep it on something with a battery life beyond a few days use (while camping) that I always have with me.

I'd like to be able to download them, convert them to ___ format that calibre can handle...epub seems to make the most sense.

Any such beast?

Thanks for any info/ideas you can provide.
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:43 PM   #2
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
I finally stumbled on this... http://www.gpxspinner.com/

Seems to do what I need, and outputs fully linked html files...now to experiment more.
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
Almiel
regrets buying PocketBook
Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CoolReader (Android), Pocketbook 360 Ivory
I looked at gpxspinner, but saw this:
Quote:
Note that GPX Spinner only works on GPX files obtained from Pocket Queries (a membership benefit for Geocaching.com premium members). These files include a plethora of information which is not present in LOC files. Also note that GPX files saved from Easy/ExpertGPS will not contain the information needed by Spinner.
You could also try gpsvisualizer.com. It lets you convert gps data between formats and a lot more. I use all the time (hubby and I are hikers/backpackers). You could convert to plain text (tab or comma delimited) and turn that into epub. You can even make maps and save them as images into the ebook, but depending on your device, they may not display in color.

It's a good idea you have though, a reference book of waypoints.
Almiel is offline   Reply With Quote