Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-02-2009, 02:02 PM   #1
artsci
artsci
artsci has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artsci has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artsci has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artsci has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle and Kindle 2
Idea for a battery-powered Kindle light that mounts in the USB port

I don't like the idea of a clip-on reading light for the Kindle. So being the inventive type, I'm trying my hand at developing a battery-powered LED reading lamp that will mount into the USB slot a the base of the Kindle. No, the USB port on the Kindle will not and cannot provide power, just a mounting point.

To do this, I'm "kit-bashing" (an modeler's term) parts I have lying around the house, including a clip-on LED reading lamp that I've never used. If this works, I'll post pictures and how-to instructions. Given my travel schedule over the next few days, it will take me about a week, I think.
artsci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:09 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Interesting Idea but I really wouldn't want to put any stress on my Kindles USB port. I would be afraid it might break the solder joints and the USB port would become useless.

But, I wish you luck and can't wait to see your results.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2009, 02:39 PM   #3
artsci
artsci
artsci has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artsci has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artsci has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artsci has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle and Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Interesting Idea but I really wouldn't want to put any stress on my Kindles USB port. I would be afraid it might break the solder joints and the USB port would become useless.

BOb
I'll put it through some informal stress tests
artsci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
The location of the USB port on the bottom of the Kindle (either model) wouldn't seem to me to be ideal for mounting a light. But I could be wrong.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #5
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
If I am left handed reading that's smack where my palm is.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
ChaseKR
Connoisseur
ChaseKR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Touch, iPad 1 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
Agreed. I've learned from experience that putting too much pressure on a port will cause it to break over time. The light would have to be very lightweight.
ChaseKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:30 PM   #7
xeijix
xeijix began at the beginning.

Device: none
if anyone is willing to open up the kindle, you can add a slice of matte plexi with led's around the edge like the Sony Reader 700. Power can be siphoned from any of available 3v or 5v terminal
xeijix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:40 AM   #8
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
My Mama always told me not to put alternative power sources around my special port places.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:37 PM   #9
DebraSeattleGrrl
DebraSeattleGrrl doesn't litterDebraSeattleGrrl doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
My Mama always told me not to put alternative power sources around my special port places.
heheheh
DebraSeattleGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote