Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-29-2017, 08:55 AM   #1
Telemachus
Connoisseur
Telemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: none
'Processing / Importing content from an SD card'...My Gripes

I cannot get my Glo N613 running firmware 4.3.8945 to acknowledge my 32 GB SDHC card loaded with 5000+ ebooks. I put the same SD card in my Touch N905c running firmware 4.4.9344 and it's now processing the content....very slowly.... At the time of writing 90 mins has elapsed and it's processed about 30% of the content. Why do Kobo's take so long to add content? my Nook ST only takes about 3 minutes for the same amount of ebooks to appear in it's library. What's going on?
Telemachus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:02 AM   #2
Telemachus
Connoisseur
Telemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Further Gripes

Back to the Glo, I had better luck with another 32 GB SDHC card containing only 47 ebooks. Inserted the card, powered up, got the usual 'processing content / importing content' 'one moment please...' message. (for some reason the processing always begins at 6%) sometimes processing will continue until it's finished and then it goes to the home screen.
But often the processing reaches say 93% and will hang there forever (i'd imagine until the battery dies or the device goes into sleep mode/automatic shutdown, I've never had the patience to wait long enough to find out) but if I touch the screen again, this seems to trigger something and the home screen is displayed with the ebooks showing as loaded. Again...what's going on?
Advert
Old 05-29-2017, 10:02 AM   #3
Telemachus
Connoisseur

Back to the 'Touch' processing the 5000+ ebooks.
When it reached 39% it slowed to an absolute crawl, about 1% per 15 minutes, currently at 42%
If I touch the screen to bring it back to home screen will it terminate the loading content process prematurely?
Old 05-29-2017, 10:15 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The reason touching the screen on the Glo went to the home screen is because the processing had finished. There might have been an error as well and one or more of the books weren't processed properly. But, I have seen this very occasionally and it mainly seems OK.

As to the Touch, processing a lot of books takes time. 30% of 5000 books after 90 minutes sounds about right. Slowing down as it goes also sounds right. The Touch will be slower than the Glo as it has a slower CPU and, from memory, less RAM. I've never tried to load that many books in single batch, so I don't really know how long it will take. About the only thing you can do is plug it into power and wait.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:33 AM   #5
Telemachus
Connoisseur

Hmmm...I'll just let it do it's thing. It's at 48% complete so far. The processing also seems to have drained the battery somewhat, just plugged into charger.
Advert
Old 05-29-2017, 05:44 PM   #6
Telemachus
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As to the Touch, processing a lot of books takes time. 30% of 5000 books after 90 minutes sounds about right. Slowing down as it goes also sounds right. The Touch will be slower than the Glo as it has a slower CPU and, from memory, less RAM.
You weren't kidding! It's been processing for hours, 76% done so far. That's why I can't understand how the same books can appear in my Nook ST library so promptly.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:47 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The nook ST doesn't really do anything. I have one and it's one of the worst UIs ever.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:48 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemachus View Post
You weren't kidding! It's been processing for hours, 76% done so far. That's why I can't understand how the same books can appear in my Nook ST library so promptly.
Your Kobo is adding each book to the database which includes reading each file for TOC information, file sizes, cover images, etc. Not the fastest process.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:21 PM   #9
Telemachus
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The nook ST doesn't really do anything. I have one and it's one of the worst UIs ever.
It's being able to use virtually any file format on my rooted Nook and being able to use the local hyperlinks in the html index of the Gutenberg DVD iso on SD card that makes my Nook useful, but you're spot on about the lame UI.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:27 PM   #10
Telemachus
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Your Kobo is adding each book to the database which includes reading each file for TOC information, file sizes, cover images, etc. Not the fastest process.
Yeah I guess 5000+ ebooks would take ages. If I understand you and JSWolf right, the Nook doesn't build a database like the Kobo. That would explain it.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:50 PM   #11
Telemachus
Connoisseur

After the Kobo Touch has finished processing could I just copy the built Kobo database file over to my Glo then insert the SD card?
Old 05-29-2017, 08:12 PM   #12
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Of course, if you need a graphic "Book Management" interface you are probably going to have to put up with that database processing (and possibly occasional "database corruption" errors/crashes). I have 7000+ ebook/document files in 50+ category folders, hidden from Kobo's processing. I read them using KOReader and find what I want to read, by browsing through the files, just like I do on my PC. My book files are on my external uSD card, but would work at least as well on a larger internal uSD card.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:23 PM   #13
Telemachus
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Of course, if you need a graphic "Book Management" interface you are probably going to have to put up with that database processing (and possibly occasional "database corruption" errors/crashes). I have 7000+ ebook/document files in 50+ category folders, hidden from Kobo's processing. I read them using KOReader and find what I want to read, by browsing through the files, just like I do on my PC. My book files are on my external uSD card, but would work at least as well on a larger internal uSD card.

Luck;
Ken
Of course 'hidden folders!' I totally forgot about that option. My Glo and a second Touch both have the whole koreader, coolreader, ksm08 ensemble installed...perfect!
Old 05-29-2017, 10:45 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemachus View Post
Of course 'hidden folders!' I totally forgot about that option. My Glo and a second Touch both have the whole koreader, coolreader, ksm08 ensemble installed...perfect!
Remembering that a hidden folder's name starts with a ".".
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:11 AM   #15
Telemachus
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Remembering that a hidden folder's name starts with a ".".
Nickel only processed about 3000 books, something went wrong, the interface also became sluggish. Too many books I guess. I tried the hidden folders approach and it worked elegantly with KOReader. No slowdown in performance. If this solution isn't in the tips and tricks thread it should be.