Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-28-2017, 09:40 AM   #1
jape
jape began at the beginning.

Device: none
Overdrive has title kobo store doesn't

I just bought an Aura one, and within an hour I noticed missing/not syncing books. I have 6 titles checked out in overdrive but only 5 show up on the ereader.

I think this is because overdrive has the title, but it is not available in the kobo store for some reason. In this case the novella that is missing is included in a different title that is available on the kobo store, so there is a workaround.

How common is it for an overdrive title to be missing from the kobo store?

If this is a common occurrence, then that really reduces the value of the Aura one for me.

The missing book is busted by karin slaughter.
jape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 10:19 AM   #2
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Not very in my experience. But it likely depends on the book, and your library.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2017, 11:22 AM   #3
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
You can always try sideloading the missing book through ADE.
Sadly, not as fun, but that's what the rest of us have to do with all overdrive books.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:57 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jape View Post
I just bought an Aura one, and within an hour I noticed missing/not syncing books. I have 6 titles checked out in overdrive but only 5 show up on the ereader.

I think this is because overdrive has the title, but it is not available in the kobo store for some reason. In this case the novella that is missing is included in a different title that is available on the kobo store, so there is a workaround.

How common is it for an overdrive title to be missing from the kobo store?

If this is a common occurrence, then that really reduces the value of the Aura one for me.

The missing book is busted by karin slaughter.
In my experience, it's not that common but when it happens, I just use ADE to download the book and sideload it to my Aura One. So primitive but one does what one must.

Basically, the library copy must have the same ISBN as the copy in the Kobo store. I'm not sure about your library but mine do show the ISBN in the book details so I can check if there is a mismatch. In the case of the book you mentioned, my library has Busted as a standalone ebook while the Kobo and Amazon stores have the ebook version of Busted only as a bonus novella in Unseen's ebook version.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:58 PM   #5
lensmann
Zealot
lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Boox Max 2, ThinkBook Plus Gen 2
Quote:
I think this is because overdrive has the title, but it is not available in the kobo store for some reason.
I don't think it's that. I've also had this happen with books that are available in the Kobo Store. I can check them out of my local library via overdrive on the desktop, but they don't sync to my Aura One and I also can't borrow them from my Aura One. That said, there are very few books where this has happened - I've only encountered it thrice, and I've borrowed over a hundred books via Overdrive on my Aura One. I assume it has something to do with licensing terms.

The workaround is, as others have pointed out, is to download and sync the book to your reader via Adobe Digital Editions.
lensmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2017, 08:43 PM   #6
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lensmann View Post
I don't think it's that. I've also had this happen with books that are available in the Kobo Store. I can check them out of my local library via overdrive on the desktop, but they don't sync to my Aura One and I also can't borrow them from my Aura One. ...... I assume it has something to do with licensing terms.
It might be a licensing issue, but it definitely does have to do with whether the book is available in the Kobo store or not. OD books downloaded via device (rather than sideloaded via ADE) are downloaded as KEPUB's. If the book isn't in the store, Kobo has no way to deliver the book. If it's not EXACTLY the same book, then licensing issues would kick in and Kobo can't send a different version of the same book (see the post before yours).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:31 AM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Is this a regional problem? Busted by Karin Slaughter appears in the Kobo store when I do a search for it. I'm in the UK. See screencap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	157114  
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:32 AM   #8
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Is this a regional problem? Busted by Karin Slaughter appears in the Kobo store when I do a search for it. I'm in the UK. See screencap.

Probably, it's only available as part of another novel when I searched. I'm in the US.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:12 PM   #9
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I can see it too, when I select UK as the country.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aura one, missing book, overdrive