Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-24-2014, 11:55 PM   #1
Stolen
Stolen began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
MOBI TOC works on Kindle, Adobe Digital Editions, Calibre but NOT on iPhone Kindle

Would really appreciate some help with this.

I'm producing a massive .mobi for a friend of mine and it's doing my head in.

We're already distributing a PDF and EPUB built in Indesign and exported from there. I edited the EPUB by hand and we're all happy with the result, it validates and works perfectly (some formatting I'd like to clean up but frankly I've moved on).

This EPUB is huge and has a functioning TOC that incorporates at least 40 to 50 items.

I've tried converting this EPUB using a variety of methods to get the best result, including by Kindle Preview / Kindlegen, uploading the EPUB to Amazon KDP and allowing it to process the file which I downloaded and checked, and by converting the EPUB via Calibre.

However, now matter what version I check out I get the same problem. The MOBI has a functioning smart TOC on Kindle devices, in Adobe Digital Editions, and in Calibre BUT when I use the iPhone to checkout the MOBI there's no TOC. I'd be happy to gloss over this fact except that the book is HUGE and broken into quite necessary sections. Without a working TOC, I'm screwed.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I'm at a loss.

In the MOBI7 file there is a well structured .ncx but this isn't linked in the .opf under guide and I'm wondering if that might be an issue. If this is, what code do I need to place to link the two files together and then what can I use to compress the MOBI again. I keep seeing MOBI unpack but I've no idea how to combine the split files into a function MOBI.

I've provided an upload of the .ncx and .opf if anybody cares to take a look and I'm happy to upload the MOBI file if people can help out.

Thanks everyone.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Game+Design+Companion.zip (310.7 KB, 292 views)
Stolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:15 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Most likely your problem is caused by a missing/incorrect TOC guide item, however, you appear to have attached a decompiled mobi .opf file, which makes it very difficult to narrow down the problem.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2014, 01:02 AM   #3
Stolen

Hey Doitsu, is there a way to supply a mobi file that hasn't been "decompiled" without uploading the entire mobi? The format is causing me a heck of a lot of grief compared to epub which I can understand.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:27 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If you PM it to someone, only they will get it. So at least it won't be floating around freely accessible.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:45 AM   #5
Stolen

Doitsu and eschwartz: Thank you for the willingness to help!

The original link solved my issue—I needed to create a link to the internal table of contents via the <guide></guide> section.
Advert
Old 01-27-2014, 01:46 AM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolen View Post
Hey Doitsu, is there a way to supply a mobi file that hasn't been "decompiled" without uploading the entire mobi? The format is causing me a heck of a lot of grief compared to epub which I can understand.
Most likely there's something wrong with your .opf file, which you can attach to a message or wrap in [code] tags and include in your message.
Have you checked out the TOC guide item post that I linked to and does your orginal .opf file contain one?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:55 AM   #7
Stolen

Hey Doitsu, I've solved the issues based on the first link you sent back to me.

I needed to create a <a id="toc"> anchor at the top of the internal contents page I'd coded into the epub, then reference that in the <guide> section.

I've got a better grasp of the <guide> section now and can't thank you enough for pointing me in the right direction

Tags
issue, mobi, ncx, problem, toc