Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
FrozenTrout
FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.

Device: iPad, Kobo Aura 2, Kobo Libra H20
Suggestion - Update ebook metadata?

I access my books from the web. Since calibre doesn't update the metadata inside the ebooks themselves, when I download them it's all out of date. I'm wary of converting from the format to the same format, as there are so many options I'm afraid it might change and mess them up in some way. It would be handy if there was a way to tell it to only update the metadata, while simply passing through the actual content. I don't know the best way to implement this would be, though off the top of my head possibly a standalone 'update metadata' command, a "Metadata only" option in the format popup, a flag on the conversion window, or maybe an output profile? Would this be useful enough/possible at all?
FrozenTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC the content server updates metadata in EPUB files before serving them. The other formats are too slow to update metadata.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
FrozenTrout
FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.

Device: iPad, Kobo Aura 2, Kobo Libra H20
Aye, but I'm not using the content server, I'm using calibre2opds. And I'd like the actual files to reflect the current metadata, if I were ever to transfer them elsewhere or use another program.
FrozenTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:37 AM   #4
TMF
Enthusiast
TMF began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I agree that this would be helpful and have filed a feature request at the bug tracker.
TMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:01 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You can update metadata in ePub using the modify epub plugin (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=154371).
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2012, 06:18 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Calibre2opds also has an option for ePub files to update the metadata as part of its catalog generation process. This was developed before the days of the modify ePub plugin and has never been removed.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote