Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
LisaBri
LisaBri began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Kobo Ereader Battery and Ejecting from Computer

Hello, my name is LisaBri and I have been having problems with the battery not holding a charge on my kobo ereader.

It would charge to blue, then within an hour of reading it would be down a bar. After that it would level out for a couple of days but within a week it would need charging. I am using it a lot but I am not getting 8000 page turns maybe 900.

I read here about letting the battery calibration and let it run out then fully charge up. I did this about 10 times before I gave up and was sent a new kobo.

It had a 3/4 charge in it so I phoned Tech support and they told me to charge it to full.

The same thing has happened. It has lost a bar in the first hour but since then maybe 3 hours it has not moved.

I have done anything tech said and the other issue is that it will not eject out of the computer, the icon for usb port is missing. (PC XP SP3). The usb port is completely gone from my screen. I have 5 usb ports and they all do that. So I just unplugged it. In hindsight, I should have turned the computer off then unplugged it.

Could this be the reason that my KOBO doesn't hold a charge so that I have screwed up yet another ereader?

Also I tried using my Netbook, windows 7,and it wouldn't even acknowledge a new piece of hardware.

Anything would be appreciated

Thanks very much,

LisaBri
LisaBri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Hi Lisa welcome to MobileRead and to the Kobo forum.
It's quite normal for your battery indicator to drop a bar almost immediately after you charge it. Many people have reported that. If you search there was a thread last year where 3d0g tested his Kobo battery by continually pressing the next page button and recorded the battery charge. Although 900 page turns is quite low - you really should be getting more like 2000 or 3000 as a minimum. Are you counting real "pages" in the book or actual presses of the next page button? Also adding, deleting and opening books etc can use up your charge.
When you finish reading are you turning the Kobo off or letting it sleep? Also do you have a wifi Kobo or the original?
I'm sorry I can't help you with your USB problem. I only know that at times I have forgotten to eject it after charging and haven't had any problems. Whenever I add or remove books I use Calibre and sofar I have remembered to eject in Calibre.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
LisaBri
LisaBri began at the beginning.

KOBO EREADER Battery Charge

Hello Harley B

Thanks for the response. I am sorry I have not responded till now. I was sick with a virus for the past week and couldn't get to the computer.

In answer to your questions, so far I have 'used any page turn' and have about 1000 I have recorded and still have a quarter left on the gauge. It is certainly better than my last Kobo I received.

I have also spent maybe 4 hours with the Kobo, downloading and adding books and setting up EPUB.

Do you think that is a lot of time?

I definitely put it powered right off.

Thank you for telling me that it will drop as soon as it is charged and the minimum amounts. I have the original, wired KOBO

As far as the USB is concerned what is Calibre and what is it in respect to KOBO as far as being able to eject it clean?

Thanks for your assistance. I appreciate all that you have said.

Many thanks

LisaBri
LisaBri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:59 AM   #4
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
It's quite normal for your battery indicator to drop a bar almost immediately after you charge it.
It is?
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:29 AM   #5
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corona View Post
It is?
Yep. It is the instance on my reader too.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 09:46 AM   #6
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by corona View Post
It is?
Not on my Kobo Wi-Fi.

It usually takes about two weeks of reading before it drops from full charge.

I usually get about 40 days before I recharge, reading about 2 hours a day.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:27 PM   #7
misticaleclipse
misticaleclipse began at the beginning.

I was having charging issues as well, then determined that the charge indicator might not always be accurate. Since I have left it to charge overnight I had had no further issues.
misticaleclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:29 PM   #8
Shushan
Bibliophile
Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Pandigital Novel, PC
Are you making sure to power off and not just use sleep mode? It uses more power in sleep mode.

Also I have found that if the Kobo is officially 'processing' after the charging/managing it can run the battery right down. After seriously organizing the e-books one day, it 'processed' for HOURS, and when it was finally done, the battery was dead again :P

But after charging it (only, no managing) The battery has lasted properly since then
Shushan is offline   Reply With Quote