Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-16-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
geekgeek
geekgeek doesn't littergeekgeek doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
Ebook formatting - help with removing margins?

Hi guys,

I've recently gotten a copy of a DRM-free epub book, which strangely has no stylesheet, and even using Calibre to convert, I cannot get rid of the left margin. Not sure what I'm missing as I've managed to do the same for my other DRM-free epubs (via the method in another post in this forums).

Would anyone be able or willing to have a look to see if they are able to do so (I can send you the file), and perhaps post the solution, so that I can replicate it for some other epubs I have?

Thanks in advance!
geekgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:48 AM   #2
Kimble
Kimble began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle. Boox Leaf2
Can you convert it to a Word .doc file, then remove the margin, then convert back?
Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 07:52 AM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Perhaps the margin is set in a style in the head section of the xhtml (html, xml, ...) file. It must be set somewhere in the ePub.

You might give the Kindle Previewer a try. Dragging and dropping an ePub on the Kindle Previewer with generate a MOBI file using its embedded KindleGen. I've found that this ignores margins set in the ePub.

Kindle Previewer (and other stuff) is available on this page: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000234621
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
geekgeek

Gave Kindle Previewer a try, unfortunately it still has the margin

Am attaching the file here, anyone want to give it a try?

[Attachment deleted by moderator]

Last edited by HarryT; 12-20-2010 at 02:52 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:51 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
Do not post copyrighted books to MobileRead. If you do so again, you will be banned immediately with no further warnings.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
geekgeek

My bad, I do apologise for that
Old 12-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimble View Post
Can you convert it to a Word .doc file, then remove the margin, then convert back?
That is a really bad idea. When Word gets a hold of the eBook, it will make a real mess out of it. Stay away from Word whenever possible.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:42 PM   #8
kndlewis
Connoisseur
kndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watch

Device: Current Favorite: Boox Leaf
Similar situation. I found if I convert from epub to pmlz format first and then from pmlz to mobi then it looked good on the kindle. It's an extra step but worth it for the time it takes to read an entire book.
kndlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:27 PM   #9
uqbartlon
uqbartlon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
There's a "mobi-ignore-margins" in the output options in calibre when you convert from epub to mobi.

http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...to-mobi-output
uqbartlon is offline   Reply With Quote