Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-24-2007, 03:41 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
I would really like to see their "EXCLUSIVE line break removal feature not available anywhere else in any other software in the market", if it wasn't for the fact, that it can't be done. Just selecting text and copying it to the other application will not give you paragraph information, because even pdf reader doesn't have it.
I'm testing it now in a really bad situation and seeing how it functions. I have no hope for it to get it right or even close.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:14 PM   #17
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
I may be wrong but Lanekko's posts seem to be a promotion of this expensive tool. He has 4 posts, two were removed as spam, two are in this thread.
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:37 PM   #18
lanekko
lanekko doesn't litterlanekko doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500
Naw, I'm just enthusiastic about this software because It has worked very well for me.

I recently signed up to the forums because it was now my turn to share something with you all, but I've been passively following the advice and tips on the forum since I bought my reader, which is 6 months now... but didn't have an account (since I'm pretty much a noob with computers and didn't have really anything to contribute with until now)

I used all the tools provided in the forums with no good results (took me days just to setup book designer) so I kept looking and looking and one day found about that software, before buying it I first came here to mobile read to see if somebody had used it before or recommended it... but nope, nothing, so I bought it and tried it and was really surprised how no one on mobile read knew it or was talking about it, so I decided to contribute and signed up and that was what my first post was about: a recommendation about this software, but then of course the moderators didn't think it was an appropriate comment and considered it spam (fair enough since it was my first post and indeed looked suspicious) so I cleared things up with the moderator, Jon, which is a very nice person that saw that I didn't mean no harm. I absolutely stopped commenting (since talking about this software is possibly my only contribution) until somebody created this thread.. I then made a really quick comment and that's it... then just elaborated more on it since somebody wanted to know more about it and end of story

I don't care if you guys buy it or not It works for me and I'm just sharing my experience in return that you have shared yours, that's all.
lanekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:32 PM   #19
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanekko View Post
Naw, I'm just enthusiastic about this software because It has worked very well for me.
Then I apologize.
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:38 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just tried Michelangelo 2.0 on a file in Word that had really messed up line ends. It didn't even get it right as far as ending at the end of a sentence. To be honest, it doesn't do a good enough job to warrant the fee. All it does is set the page size in Word to one for the Reader, and attempt to join badly formed line endings. As for the line endings, there is no way it knows where to fix things properly. I have hard returns now in the middle of sentences. There are also buttons for increasing and reducing the font size.

All this is is an add-in to Word to try to fix bad line endings, set the page size, and increase or decrease the font size. It does nothing you cannot do by hand and better at that. Maybe it is OK if the lines are not too messed up. But if they are rather messed up, this won't do it. I just clicked the button to increase the font size and either I've just locked up Word or this is really slow. All in all, do it by hand.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:56 PM   #21
Mitchll
Cave Dweller
Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ipad Sony reader prs-505 prs-900
If all this is true, why are you pm'ing me asking for a free copy? What is your true interest here???

Mitchll

Quote::

lanekko

Device: PRS-500 Re: Hey there

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchll
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanekko
Hey man, how did you get the manual for the michelangelo software? can you get the software too?

Comes with the software. You can get it at the site referenced in the thread.

Mitchll

No I mean, can you get it for free as you got the manual?
Quote:

I recently signed up to the forums because it was now my turn to share something with you all, but I've been passively following the advice and tips on the forum since I bought my reader, which is 6 months now... but didn't have an account (since I'm pretty much a noob with computers and didn't have really anything to contribute with until now)

I used all the tools provided in the forums with no good results (took me days just to setup book designer) so I kept looking and looking and one day found about that software, before buying it I first came here to mobile read to see if somebody had used it before or recommended it... but nope, nothing, so I bought it and tried it and was really surprised how no one on mobile read knew it or was talking about it, so I decided to contribute and signed up and that was what my first post was about: a recommendation about this software, but then of course the moderators didn't think it was an appropriate comment and considered it spam (fair enough since it was my first post and indeed looked suspicious) so I cleared things up with the moderator, Jon, which is a very nice person that saw that I didn't mean no harm. I absolutely stopped commenting (since talking about this software is possibly my only contribution) until somebody created this thread.. I then made a really quick comment and that's it... then just elaborated more on it since somebody wanted to know more about it and end of story

I don't care if you guys buy it or not It works for me and I'm just sharing my experience in return that you have shared yours, that's all.

Last edited by Mitchll; 09-24-2007 at 08:58 PM. Reason: addition of quote.
Mitchll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:09 PM   #22
lanekko

To see if you were pirating the software just like you pirated the manual And no, learn to read my fellow reader I wasn't requesting a free copy, I just asked: "No I mean, can you get it for free as you got the manual?"

I never said "would you please provide me with a copy?" or did I?

Last edited by lanekko; 09-24-2007 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:18 PM   #23
lanekko

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just tried Michelangelo 2.0 on a file in Word that had really messed up line ends. It didn't even get it right as far as ending at the end of a sentence. To be honest, it doesn't do a good enough job to warrant the fee. All it does is set the page size in Word to one for the Reader, and attempt to join badly formed line endings. As for the line endings, there is no way it knows where to fix things properly. I have hard returns now in the middle of sentences. There are also buttons for increasing and reducing the font size.

All this is is an add-in to Word to try to fix bad line endings, set the page size, and increase or decrease the font size. It does nothing you cannot do by hand and better at that. Maybe it is OK if the lines are not too messed up. But if they are rather messed up, this won't do it. I just clicked the button to increase the font size and either I've just locked up Word or this is really slow. All in all, do it by hand.

Did you copy/paste text from a .pdf?
Old 09-24-2007, 09:49 PM   #24
Mitchll
Cave Dweller
Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Look at your last pm to me after the one I quoted...you did ask for a free copy! I never pirated anything, but bought it. So what are you doing again?
And by the way, the manual is not copyrighted. You may want to change that if you continue to sell the program.

Quote:
To see if you were pirating the software just like you pirated the manual And no, learn to read my fellow reader I wasn't requesting a free copy, I just asked: "No I mean, can you get it for free as you got the manual?"

I never said "would you please provide me with a copy?" or did I?

Last edited by Mitchll; 09-24-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:15 PM   #25
lanekko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchll View Post
Look at your last pm to me after the one I quoted...you did ask for a free copy! I never pirated anything, but bought it. So what are you doing again?
And by the way, the manual is not copyrighted. You may want to change that if you continue to sell the program.
"Hey man, how did you get the manual for the michelangelo software? can you get the software too?"

How is it that I am asking for a free copy? did I say "can you get me a copy of the software too?" no! I didn't... I said "can YOU get the software too", not I, not for me. and you didn't say you bought it on the first post. "you implied" that you didn't buy it

"Attached is the manual for the program. It gives you a clearer idea of what the program does than the sales pitch.

It appears to work well...nothing new but a different approach. It does not support images at all."

"It appears" doesn't sound like you bought it and tested it, if yes, why would you post such a weak affirmation "it appears". My affirmations are strong because I bought it and tested it. And no, I am not reselling it, maybe you are?. And yes... I've just re-read the end user license agreement and there it says that the manual and the software are copyrighted " You have a copy of that agreement if you bought it, didn't you?, maybe you can share it to prove you bought it? You pirated it, period, if not, prove me wrong and I'll apologize.

This thread is turning nasty... how can a topic about a formatting software turned this bad...
Old 09-24-2007, 10:32 PM   #26
Mitchll
Cave Dweller

Copyright law requires a state of copyright on the document, stating who claims it and the date.

Frankly your right, this has gone on way too long. Just as your four pm's were way too many for such innocence. I think you protest way too much,

QUOTE:Re: Hey there

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey man, how did you get the manual for the michelangelo software? can you get the software too?

Comes with the software. You can get it at the site referenced in the thread.

Mitchll

No I mean, can you get it for free as you got the manual?

no

How did you get the manual then? lol If you need to purchase the software to get the manual?

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. For get about it, go about your business.

Quote:
"Hey man, how did you get the manual for the michelangelo software? can you get the software too?"

How is it that I am asking for a free copy? did I say "can you get me a copy of the software too?" no! I didn't... I said "can YOU get the software too", not I, not for me. and you didn't say you bought it on the first post. "you implied" that you didn't buy it

"Attached is the manual for the program. It gives you a clearer idea of what the program does than the sales pitch.

It appears to work well...nothing new but a different approach. It does not support images at all."

"It appears" doesn't sound like you bought it and tested it, if yes, why would you post such a weak affirmation "it appears". My affirmations are strong because I bought it and tested it. And no, I am not reselling it, maybe you are?. And yes... I've just re-read the end user license agreement and there it says that the manual and the software are copyrighted " You have a copy of that agreement if you bought it, didn't you?, maybe you can share it to prove you bought it? You pirated it, period, if not, prove me wrong and I'll apologize.

This thread is turning nasty... how can a topic about a formatting software turned this bad...
Old 09-25-2007, 07:13 AM   #27
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchll View Post
Copyright law requires a state of copyright on the document, stating who claims it and the date.
Not to extend this thread any longer than necessary, but I have to point out that, at least in the US, this is not true. A work is deemed to be protected by copyright at the moment it is set into some fixed form. A copyright message simply serves as notice to the reader that the creator/owner reserves certain rights to the work and is likely to actively protect said rights. Failing to add a copyright notice does not in any way minimize the protections afforded by copyright law.

Registering the copyright with the Library of Congress makes a difference, but not in the level of protection for the work. The difference is that the courts will consider financial damages if a registered copyright is violated, whereas unregistered copyright issues will be limited to stopping the infringement.

Again, this is US copyright law I'm referring to. Your country may vary.

**And now, back to the show.**
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:30 AM   #28
lanekko

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
Not to extend this thread any longer than necessary, but I have to point out that, at least in the US, this is not true. A work is deemed to be protected by copyright at the moment it is set into some fixed form. A copyright message simply serves as notice to the reader that the creator/owner reserves certain rights to the work and is likely to actively protect said rights. Failing to add a copyright notice does not in any way minimize the protections afforded by copyright law.

Registering the copyright with the Library of Congress makes a difference, but not in the level of protection for the work. The difference is that the courts will consider financial damages if a registered copyright is violated, whereas unregistered copyright issues will be limited to stopping the infringement.

Again, this is US copyright law I'm referring to. Your country may vary.

**And now, back to the show.**
This is correct.

[QUOTE]Notice of Copyright
The use of a copyright notice is no longer required under U.S. law, although it is often beneficial. Because prior law did contain such a requirement, however, the use of notice is still relevant to the copyright status of older works.

Notice was required under the 1976 Copyright Act. This requirement was eliminated when the United States adhered to the Berne Convention, effective March 1, 1989.

extracted directly from the US copyright office (you can read the rest here): http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#noc

And sure Mitchll, let's leave all this behind, but let me remind you that you were the one who started
Old 09-25-2007, 08:12 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I am still impressed how simple yet powerful this application is. I guess you get what you pay for. These free tools you're talking about sure are a nice contribution and gesture from their developers but they aren't that good... as usual...free not always means good.
Please could you format with this tool a couple of the public domain books I've converted with Book Designer, and upload them to the "Book Uploads" forum? I'd very much like to see how much better the results are than with BD.

Thank you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:03 AM   #30
Fitzwaryn
Connoisseur
Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Sorry but just dropping into this thread from outside to me it seems pretty obvious (to me anyway) that this laneko char is a shill for the individual or company selling whatever this software is.

Just my 2 cents worth.

If the developer was really interested in promoting a superior product they'd get with someone in MobileRead and offer it for review to get some honest feedback.

Sorry. To me smells like a scam and I'll pass it by without even a second look.
Fitzwaryn is offline   Reply With Quote