Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-21-2007, 06:57 AM   #151
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugsly View Post
As people have mentioned before, the screen size of the kindle is different which could account for only using their format of ebooks.
Is it? I thought it was the same 120x90mm 800x600 res screen that the Sony and the Gen3 use?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:14 AM   #152
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is it? I thought it was the same 120x90mm 800x600 res screen that the Sony and the Gen3 use?

I thought the same...
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:59 AM   #153
fugsly
living dead girl
fugsly began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
I thought the same...
oops, just read a couple of posts mentioning that the screen was different on the kindle. Should really remember that not everything you read on the interwebs is true

I still don't really understand why you're so annoyed by the Kindle/Amazon astra.

I can understand the DRM thing. Music and books are something that should remain open and I really hope that at some point a universal format is adopted. There's no way I want to have to buy a different reader to read certain books (as you would to play video games). And I hate the idea of one monopoly winning out (as with microsoft). It's just to much of a pain converting everything or settling for a slightly different (and normally worse) version that's compatible.

But I can see where amazon are coming from - this is still a small and uncertain market. Let's just hope they start heading in the right direction.
fugsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:04 AM   #154
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgrimm View Post
For all fans of DRM, here's one person't story of dealings with Mobi:
http://jkontherun.blogs.com/jkonther...cket-remi.html

And here is what Stallman has to say about ereaders:

http://jkontherun.blogs.com/jkonther...cket-remi.html
Why would anyone purchase any ebooks via Mobipocket? Mobipocket charges the most for their ebooks. I would use a site like PaperbackDigital or BooksOnBoard for Mobipocket format ebooks. The prices are a lot cheaper. And you don't have to put up with the one week reset either.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:09 AM   #155
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugsly View Post
As people have mentioned before, the screen size of the kindle is different which could account for only using their format of ebooks. You will be able to convert other formats and soon enough i'm guessing amazon will sell their selection in other formats as well. If not then there's plenty of other places out there.
Here is what some of us are guessing at present...

We are guessing that AZW format is th Mobipocket format with a hidden PID. Also we are guessing that Amazon is not using the direct Mobipocket format because of the issues with images. Images in most Mobi format books are too small for a 6" screen. So my guess is AZW is using larger sized jpeg images formatted for a 6" screen.

Quote:
why only US? I would presume because it is cheaper/more profitable for them to do so - if they could have made more money selling it outside of the US then undoubtedly they would have done so. It will filter out soon enough if it does well.
Could be that Amazon is testing how well the Kindle does in the US before bringing it out in other countries.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:09 AM   #156
bwit
Huh?
bwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The prices are a lot cheaper. And you don't have to put up with the one week reset either.
What is the "one week reset"?
bwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:13 AM   #157
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
It is. But remember, most Mobi format ebooks that have images have small images because of PDA sized screens. I downloaded One of the WInston Churhill WWII books from my local library and I found the images (which are important) to be way too small. They are become fuzzy when I try to enlarge them. That makes Mobi format books with images a no-go on the Kindle. But reason for AZW is so they have Mobi formatted books that will look good on the Kindle screen. That would make a lot of sense in this case. Imaging reading a book that has maps, diagrams, tables, etc.. that are important to be able to see but you cannot see them clearly enough due to the fact that the graphics are too small. That would ruin the reading experience for that book. Also it does look silly to have this tiny block on the screen that is supposed to be the cover image.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:21 AM   #158
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
It is. But remember, most Mobi format ebooks that have images have small images because of PDA sized screens. I downloaded One of the WInston Churhill WWII books from my local library and I found the images (which are important) to be way too small. They are become fuzzy when I try to enlarge them. That makes Mobi format books with images a no-go on the Kindle. But reason for AZW is so they have Mobi formatted books that will look good on the Kindle screen. That would make a lot of sense in this case. Imaging reading a book that has maps, diagrams, tables, etc.. that are important to be able to see but you cannot see them clearly enough due to the fact that the graphics are too small. That would ruin the reading experience for that book. Also it does look silly to have this tiny block on the screen that is supposed to be the cover image.
But that is because the book you downloaded from the local library was badly formatted. As discussed in other thread it is technical possible to get large images in a mobi file. You could get device dependent image size.

How common is it that mobi files are badly produced with respect to image size? The ones in Mobileread hade small images but I suppose that is because BookDesigner does not support bigger images.

But I agree with your point that they did not want to risk complaint about mobi files with small images so they formatted to a new format that they had control over.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:25 AM   #159
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
But that is because the book you downloaded from the local library was badly formatted. As discussed in other thread it is technical possible to get large images in a mobi file. You could get device dependent image size.

How common is it that mobi files are badly produced with respect to image size? The ones in Mobileread hade small images but I suppose that is because BookDesigner does not support bigger images.
It is common. Look at a lof ot Mobi books and you'll see the cover is tiny. Mobi format is a throwback to PDA/Cell phones resolution screens. Yes, you can make Mobi formatted books with larger enough images. But most are not formatted that way. And as far as the book posted here, yes the small images are due to Book Designer's output. Nothing we can do about that if we use Book Designer.

Quote:
But I agree with your point that they did not want to risk complaint about mobi files with small images so they formatted to a new format that they had control over.
I think AZW may be Mobi format with formatting for the Kindle screen. It does make sense given all the information we have on the Kindle books.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:27 AM   #160
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Why would anyone purchase any ebooks via Mobipocket? Mobipocket charges the most for their ebooks. I would use a site like PaperbackDigital or BooksOnBoard for Mobipocket format ebooks. The prices are a lot cheaper. And you don't have to put up with the one week reset either.
I don't buy fiction at MP - as you say, their prices are often higher than elsewhere - but I've not found any other retailer who stocks all the dictionaries that MP sell. Have you?
Old 11-21-2007, 09:30 AM   #161
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Does Mobi support SVG or some other resizable graphic type? I know that wouldn't be so appropriate for photos or book covers, but it might work well for maps, diagrams, etc.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:54 AM   #162
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwit View Post
What is the "one week reset"?
It is FUD - the art of casting fear and uncertainty and doubt. There was a security breach of the MobiPocket DRM site once and they shutdown to fix it. It is unlikely to ever be repeated but it gets brought up from time to time with various explanations to cast FUD in the minds of folks thinking about MobiPocket.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:55 AM   #163
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I thought it was a reference to the time it can take Mobipocket to reset one of your devices to a new device?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:07 AM   #164
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I thought it was a reference to the time it can take Mobipocket to reset one of your devices to a new device?
It is - if you fill up your device list. I only have two out of the four "slots" filled so far - my iLiad and my Gen3.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:09 AM   #165
jgrnt1
jgrnt1 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Could be that Amazon is testing how well the Kindle does in the US before bringing it out in other countries.
We need to remember that the Kindle is not just a device. It is also, and perhaps most importantly to Amazon, an integrated delivery system. To bring the Kindle to other parts of the world will require a GSM version, which shouldn't be difficult, but also a contract with a phone/data carrier in each country. My guess is ebook pricing is dependent on the cost of the contract, so pricing might be different everywhere.
jgrnt1 is offline   Reply With Quote