Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
dc52
dc52 began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
Kobo Screen

O.K..I asked this questiona as a newbie.. I bought a KOBO for my wife..she loves the thing ..but now after a few days she / we can't figure out how to toggle the screen from white background to black background. This should be a simple push of a button. Why would it not be included under Display... where you change the font size.. Just this simple frustration for me could turn the thing into a rectangular flat frisbee.. Anyway if someone knows the simple answer I would really like to know.

Cheers,

D.
dc52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Although there are white and black Kobos, I have never heard of a feature that changed the colour of the font or the colour of the background. Given how e-ink display works, it doesn't seem all that likely that this is an option.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc52 View Post
O.K..I asked this questiona as a newbie.. I bought a KOBO for my wife..she loves the thing ..but now after a few days she / we can't figure out how to toggle the screen from white background to black background. This should be a simple push of a button. Why would it not be included under Display... where you change the font size.. Just this simple frustration for me could turn the thing into a rectangular flat frisbee.. Anyway if someone knows the simple answer I would really like to know.
D.
I don't assume black background to be intentional. Maybe as a part
of broken device. So, do not make a wish of black background!
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:49 AM   #4
dc52

Kobo Screen

O.K.. Thanks.. I will try to simplify.. When you read in lower light conditions it would seem to me that it would be better to have the type in white on a black / dark background. ( at least have the choice ) The Kobo can obviously produce white or black as a background.. you must be able to change it.. There is a picture on this forum site somewhere where a user is having trouble with his display on his Kobo. He has two pictures showing his Kobo. In one shot he is holding the device with the type in black over a white background. this is the standard way that the Kobo comes out of the box .. .. in the next shot he is holding the device with white type over a black background. We want to be able to change to either one...

Thanks again

D.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:56 AM   #5
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
O.K.. Thanks.. I will try to simplify.. When you read in lower light conditions it would seem to me that it would be better to have the type in white on a black / dark background. ( at least have the choice ) The Kobo can obviously produce white or black as a background.. you must be able to change it.. There is a picture on this forum site somewhere where a user is having trouble with his display on his Kobo. He has two pictures showing his Kobo. In one shot he is holding the device with the type in black over a white background. this is the standard way that the Kobo comes out of the box .. .. in the next shot he is holding the device with white type over a black background. We want to be able to change to either one...

Thanks again

D.
I'm pretty sure you can't change it. Maybe he took a picture as the page was being turned (the flash)? Can you post a link to the thread, so we can see?
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:07 PM   #6
dc52

Kobo screen

Thanks..

The user is Nebcanuck.. The post title is Lines Discolored On Kobo reply #5.. Clearly shows what I'm asking about. I will also ask the question in his thread.

Thanks

D.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:11 PM   #7
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Thanks..

The user is Nebcanuck.. The post title is Lines Discolored On Kobo reply #5.. Clearly shows what I'm asking about. I will also ask the question in his thread.

Thanks

D.
Looks like he was turning the page while taking the pic (his thumb is on the d-pad) to show the line. I could be wrong...
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
dc52

You could be right....it may just be while turning the page but just the fact that you can see the white over black means that it should be possible..but then again..Maybe no one designing the KOBO thought that this would be an option someone would want, need or care about...It still seems that the white over black would show up better in low light..yeah I know ..get one of those little book lights and be done with it...

D
Old 09-01-2010, 03:10 PM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I think it is an issue of figure and ground, with e-ink technology being able to create letters that are black. I do not believe the current generation can create letters that are white without some major programming. How E-ink works: http://portables.about.com/od/newsan.../E-Ink-FAQ.htm

Last edited by taming; 09-01-2010 at 07:38 PM. Reason: looked for more info
taming is offline   Reply With Quote