Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you a better than average driver?
I am a very good driver. Among the very best there is. 12 19.67%
I am without doubt a better than average driver. 22 36.07%
I am just a little better than average driver. Most of the time. 11 18.03%
I am just a slightly worse than average driver. Usually. 4 6.56%
I am without doubt a worse than average driver. 2 3.28%
I am so bad at driving that I am surprised they let me. 2 3.28%
I don't drive. 8 13.11%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2010, 03:04 PM   #31
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Not just rural areas. I'm afraid KK's post seems a little ill-informed.
I lived in Germany for 8 years. MANY of my German friends never had cars. I spent the first 6 months without a car (it had gotten lost in transit), and other than shopping at the military commissary, I did just fine without a car. and I had 2 small children at the time. so at least for many parts of Europe, not having a car is not an issue.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:11 PM   #32
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I lived in Germany for 8 years. MANY of my German friends never had cars. I spent the first 6 months without a car (it had gotten lost in transit), and other than shopping at the military commissary, I did just fine without a car. and I had 2 small children at the time. so at least for many parts of Europe, not having a car is not an issue.
My apologies, I hadn't realised you'd lived in one small part of one country in Europe for a whole 8 years. Obviously people like me who have merely lived here all our lives couldn't possibly have the in depth knowledge you possess.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:29 PM   #33
Stanford
New e-author
Stanford began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Living in NYC, I don't own a car, but I keep my license up to date. I'm always amazed when I rent a car on vacation that they even let me behind the wheel - for all they know, it could have been years since I last drove.
Stanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:39 PM   #34
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
My apologies, I hadn't realised you'd lived in one small part of one country in Europe for a whole 8 years. Obviously people like me who have merely lived here all our lives couldn't possibly have the in depth knowledge you possess.
actually I lived in Bavaria for 4 years and Hess for 4 years. I traveled extensively through Germany, France, Italy and Switzerland during both tours. All except Italy had top notch public transportation and it was obvious that one could exist without a vehicle.

You can be as snarky as you like, but that's the experience I had
Old 08-30-2010, 03:46 PM   #35
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
actually I lived in Bavaria for 4 years and Hess for 4 years. I traveled extensively through Germany, France, Italy and Switzerland during both tours. All except Italy had top notch public transportation and it was obvious that one could exist without a vehicle.

You can be as snarky as you like, but that's the experience I had
Well good for you. Nothing like confidence; but do you not think that it might be even a teensy bit possible that somebody who has actually lived and travelled extensively in Europe for all of their life (I'm considerably older than 8 as well) might actually know a tad more than you about that specific subject?

I drive around 30,000 miles a year currently. I do not do that for fun, I do it because there is no reliable public transport infrastructure.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:57 PM   #36
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I thought you guys had trolleys everywhere. I was going to visit the UK one day, but I dont think I will if they got rid of the trolleys.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:05 PM   #37
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Well good for you. Nothing like confidence; but do you not think that it might be even a teensy bit possible that somebody who has actually lived and travelled extensively in Europe for all of their life (I'm considerably older than 8 as well) might actually know a tad more than you about that specific subject?

I drive around 30,000 miles a year currently. I do not do that for fun, I do it because there is no reliable public transport infrastructure.
whatever.... obviously I was halucinating the whole time. you really can be quite hostile you know
Old 08-30-2010, 04:08 PM   #38
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

IT's because they took his FN trolleys.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:10 PM   #39
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
whatever.... obviously I was halucinating the whole time. you really can be quite hostile you know
I'd rather be openly hostile than go in for that passive-aggressive bullshit.

I note you are still insistent that your view is right. In which case, I'd like to warn all European members that absolutely all of America is boiling hot all the time and that there is nothing but desert there. Of course, I've only ever been to Las Vegas for a brief period of time, but I see no reason for that to stop me making sweeping, fallacious statements.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:15 PM   #40
happy_terd
Banned

WOOO WOOO!

Old 08-30-2010, 04:21 PM   #41
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Well, I am definitely older than 8 years myself, and I have been living in *my* little, backward corner of Europe for my entire life.
My car is 10 years old and I have 30,000 miles on the odometer by now. Most of that was accumulated during holidays, when we go to mountains, kayaking or camping. On most of those occasions I could have used alternative transport, but car is more convenient with a couple of small kids. Your mileage obviously does vary ;-), there are people here that do more than 30,000 miles per year, but that does not mean that the public transport system here is not extensive, reliable and affordable.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:25 PM   #42
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Well, I am definitely older than 8 years myself, and I have been living in *my* little, backward corner of Europe for my entire life.
My car is 10 years old and I have 30,000 miles on the odometer by now. Most of that was accumulated during holidays, when we go to mountains, kayaking or camping. On most of those occasions I could have used alternative transport, but car is more convenient with a couple of small kids. Your mileage obviously does vary ;-), there are people here that do more than 30,000 miles per year, but that does not mean that the public transport system here is not extensive, reliable and affordable.
I'm glad you feel that the public transport system where you live is good. I can assure you that it isn't where I live.

It is clearly nonsense to make sweeping statements about the state of anything across the whole of Europe. Things differ from country to country and people have differing needs and expectations wherever they may be.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:27 PM   #43
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Relax. It is the same one from previous topics. Don't mind him.

Public transport in the UK is absolute rubbish. Probably some of the worst in Europe. The OH wants to go to gym but she needs a bus to get home from there (we live in a town). The last bus leaves the central bus station at ...ready? 20.05!
However, public transport in Austria and The Netherlands is fantastic. Don't know about other countries. Well, I do know a bit more. Boats in Venice are very good too. I guess the public transport in Germany is no worse than Austria or The Netherlands.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:49 PM   #44
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Relax. It is the same one from previous topics. Don't mind him.
I assume this is aimed at me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Public transport in the UK is absolute rubbish. Probably some of the worst in Europe. The OH wants to go to gym but she needs a bus to get home from there (we live in a town). The last bus leaves the central bus station at ...ready? 20.05!
However, public transport in Austria and The Netherlands is fantastic. Don't know about other countries. Well, I do know a bit more. Boats in Venice are very good too. I guess the public transport in Germany is no worse than Austria or The Netherlands.
And then you go on to agree with me. Are you schizophrenic by any chance?
Old 08-31-2010, 02:54 PM   #45
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Define your parameters a little more. I don't play golf anyway .......
Wait! Wait! Isn't being above par a bad thing?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote