Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-03-2019, 07:45 PM   #16
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't have ANY linking yet. I have text with superscript references in the main section, then a Notes section with numbered paragraphs.

I propose initially to link all the [1] references forward to paragraph 1, link back to just the first one. Same for [2] etc. Should be able to cobble together a bit of regex to do this easily enough. Then I'll submit to the client, without comment.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:53 PM   #17
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Another choice would be to have no links whatsoever. Instead, the first time 1 is reached place the note in the next paragraph indented as a block. Then add a statement to the end of the note stating that all item 1's in this book reference this note.

And then similarly for the 2's etc.

Then if the reader wants to reread a reference he can mark it with a tab.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 06-03-2019 at 07:55 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2019, 09:45 PM   #18
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
I don't have ANY linking yet. I have text with superscript references in the main section, then a Notes section with numbered paragraphs.
That's seems to be sane, but I suspect that your client, like most of mine, will go bonkers when they can't get BACK in the 2nd->nth references to paragraph 1.

I suppose you've tried to convince her to nuke the n instances of 1, after the fist one, right?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:32 PM   #19
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
There are 72 instances of <sup>1</sup>, 92 instances of <sup>2</sup> etc. etc. in the main body of text. What would you suggest? :-)
Since I make my living by writing, not formatting, I would suggest telling him/her/it to take his/her/its business elsewhere. Ninety-two instances? That's madness.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 01:11 PM   #20
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Since I make my living by writing, not formatting, I would suggest telling him/her/it to take his/her/its business elsewhere. Ninety-two instances? That's madness.
Constructive advice as always!
Advert
Old 06-08-2019, 11:25 AM   #21
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Constructive advice as always!
The usual purpose of a footnote is to explain (cite) or expand on something

If they didn't get it the first time (the note appeared), are they going to 'get it' any of the 91 other times?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:53 PM   #22
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The usual purpose of a footnote is to explain (cite) or expand on something

If they didn't get it the first time (the note appeared), are they going to 'get it' any of the 91 other times?
Yeah. It seems to me that anything important enough to be cited 92 times should probably have been in the main flow of the book instead of a footnote.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:19 PM   #23
exaltedwombat
Guru

I think we all accepted from the outset that this book is perversely constructed. And that there is little point in reiterating this fact!
Old 06-08-2019, 07:23 PM   #24
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Well, any ereader software that doesn't have a back function is broken. Just how many broken (in this regard) ereaders are out there?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:32 AM   #25
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Well, any ereader software that doesn't have a back function is broken. Just how many broken (in this regard) ereaders are out there?
Are you serious? You must have come to eReaders later, because early Kindles certainly didn't have it and I've had others and tried others that didn't. To you it may seem broken, but they simply weren't designed that way. Trust me, most of us would cheerfully NOT design for that issue if it didn't exist.

Hitch
Old 06-09-2019, 04:35 AM   #26
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Listen to Hitch. She deals with the real world limitations every day.

My first reader did not have a 'back'. I am not sure about either the K4nt or my Kobo. Most of what I read does not have (or need), footnotes.
My problem is touchscreens. I have large hands, and now issues with my eyes are making the touch of a precise place, near impossible.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:32 AM   #27
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Are you serious? You must have come to eReaders later, because early Kindles certainly didn't have it and I've had others and tried others that didn't. To you it may seem broken, but they simply weren't designed that way. Trust me, most of us would cheerfully NOT design for that issue if it didn't exist.

Hitch
OK, I'm busted as an ereading newbie, since I got my first reader, a K2, a little over 10 years ago. I had a Palm V, but never even considered using it to read books.

Not only does the K4NT have a back button, the K2 does as well. Although the K2 is not a K1, I'm pretty sure that in 2019 it qualifies as an early Kindle.

FWIW, I think it is fine to provide a backlink for footnotes, but demanding that the book itself know how to get back to one of many references is a bit absurd.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:48 PM   #28
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
OK, I'm busted as an ereading newbie, since I got my first reader, a K2, a little over 10 years ago. I had a Palm V, but never even considered using it to read books.

Not only does the K4NT have a back button, the K2 does as well. Although the K2 is not a K1, I'm pretty sure that in 2019 it qualifies as an early Kindle.

FWIW, I think it is fine to provide a backlink for footnotes, but demanding that the book itself know how to get back to one of many references is a bit absurd.
There were LOTS of early eReaders besides the Kindles (K and K2). If you're going to ask for a list of all the eReaders that don't have back functionality, hell, I can't remember. I do recall issues with at LEAST two Kobos, for sure. And there's something noodling around inside my head about the K2's back functionality, too. I still have one but I'll have to power it up to see if I can jostle those brain cells into what it was that didn't work so great with the "back" button on the k2. I fully agree that by the K4, they certainly all had them.

I wish that they all had back functionality, because, brother, it would make my life dramatically easier. The many-to-one issue with eBooks is real and it's a major pita to explain to clients as to why it can't be done, or has to be done this way or that. I end up wasting at LEAST an hour of time with every client that INSISTS that they gotta have fully-linked, two-way indices with multiple outbound (from the index) links going to the same pages, articles/sections/whatever. It's a damn nightmare.

Hitch
Old 06-15-2019, 11:02 AM   #29
exaltedwombat
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I end up wasting at LEAST an hour of time with every client that INSISTS that they gotta have fully-linked, two-way indices with multiple outbound (from the index) links going to the same pages, articles/sections/whatever. It's a damn nightmare.

Hitch
Goodness! What can be explained in an hour that can't be in a few minutes?

Anyway, the job's been delivered. Either the author's happy, or he's spent the last week preparing an exhaustive list of errata. Fingers crossed...
Old 06-15-2019, 11:28 AM   #30
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Goodness! What can be explained in an hour that can't be in a few minutes?

Anyway, the job's been delivered. Either the author's happy, or he's spent the last week preparing an exhaustive list of errata. Fingers crossed...
First I send them a detailed email (most of that is canned, thank GOD), explaining the issues with many-to-one. When you're largely dealing with right-brainers...well.

THEN, of course, they send back a crapload of questions, because they mostly don't get the explanation.

THEN, I send back more answers and finally, after about 4 emails, they decide one way or the other.

If your comms with your clients are easier, I envy you, I really do.

Hitch