Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 08-19-2019, 11:57 AM   #1
Jane Eyre
Zealot
Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle P.white3/Kobo Clara 2E
Converting odt to ePub

Hi!
I've been trying to convert to epub an odt document (LibreOffice 6.1.3.2), but it gives me the following error.

How could I fix? Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	error.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	173037  
Jane Eyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:29 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
moved this thread to a more appropriate place.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:36 PM   #3
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
FWIW I gave up odt -> epub after I tried the docx-plugin for Sigil.

So, I just save from LibreOffice in docx, and open it with the plugin in Sigil. Works very nicely.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:40 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I did try the ODT to ePub and I find the programmer made a lot of assumptions and does not follow the actual source well. I consistently get better results using Atlantis Word Processor to convert to ePub.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:56 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Jane Eyre - if you save it as DOCX you can either use Sigil's DOCXImport plugin which offers the possibility of mapping the Writer Styles to ePub CSS styles, or you can use calibre conversion (or editor) to convert DOCX to ePub, which will preserve your Writer styles the ePub's CSS, but it won't retain the style names, and it will flatten any hierarchical structure.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:24 PM   #6
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Eyre View Post
I've been trying to convert to epub an odt document (LibreOffice 6.1.3.2), but it gives me the following error.
Since LibreOffice 6.0, you're able to convert directly to EPUB:

File > Export As > Export As EPUB

I would also recommend downloading the latest LibreOffice for feature/bug fixes (latest as of today is v6.3.0 or v6.2.6).

It still has quite a lot of kinks though, so you may want to try other methods as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
if you save it as DOCX you can either use Sigil's DOCXImport plugin which offers the possibility of mapping the Writer Styles to ePub CSS styles, or you can use calibre conversion (or editor) to convert DOCX to ePub, which will preserve your Writer styles the ePub's CSS, but it won't retain the style names, and it will flatten any hierarchical structure.
Yes, this works as well.

Calibre also takes ODT directly.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:01 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Calibre also takes ODT directly.
Calibre's DOCX conversion is usually yields better results. The DOCX Input module is actively maintained by Kovid - afaik the ODT input module is on life support. IMO the only reasons for using calibre's ODT conversions is because you're using an ancient version of Writer or political/religious/cultural bias.

BR
Old 08-21-2019, 08:11 AM   #8
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
It still has quite a lot of kinks though, so you may want to try other methods as well.
IMHO, the LibreOffice epub filter isn't production-ready. I've re-tested the epub export filter with LibreOffice 6.3.0.4 and Kovid Goyal's demo.docx test file.

The filter still doesn't support lists in epub2/epub3 files and generates invalid epub2/epub3 books.

HTML files in Epub2 books still contain duplicate <title/> tags and stand-alone <br/> tags.

HTML files in Epub3 books still contain no <title></title> tags and style sheets contain direction: ltr; declarations, which are not allowed in epub3 books.

Also, the LibreOffice epub export filter generates CSS declarations with in and pt values.
Attached Files
File Type: epub demo_epub2.epub (186.3 KB, 265 views)
File Type: epub demo_epub3.epub (186.7 KB, 265 views)

Last edited by Doitsu; 08-21-2019 at 08:50 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:48 PM   #9
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
What's wrong with saving the .odt as an .html in LibreOffice and then opening the .html in Sigil, where it can be saved as an .epub?
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:43 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
What's wrong with saving the .odt as an .html in LibreOffice and then opening the .html in Sigil, where it can be saved as an .epub?
For me, the docx export and then import to Sigil or calibre produces cleaner code (i.e. I have less cleanup and tweaking to do). LibreOffice's html export leaves too much cruft.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:59 PM   #11
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For me, the docx export and then import to Sigil or calibre produces cleaner code (i.e. I have less cleanup and tweaking to do). LibreOffice's html export leaves too much cruft.
Thanks David. I feel like I don't have a lot of cruft because they're my files and I used the LO styles making them, but anyway, I'd need a Sigil plugin to try your way (which I will). What's the name of the plugin I would need or have a link?
Old 10-29-2019, 01:13 AM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Thanks David. I feel like I don't have a lot of cruft because they're my files and I used the LO styles making them, but anyway, I'd need a Sigil plugin to try your way (which I will). What's the name of the plugin I would need or have a link?
From the Sigil plugin index, check [Plugin] DOCXImport for the plugin. Read diapdealer's first message in the thread. The only issue I've found the couple of times I've used it is it does import the docx as a single file so I'm forced to the manual effort of splitting it. Quel horreur!

As for the cruft, most of the odt files I've dealt with were created by would-be authors who have no idea of how to use styles. The type of user who says "You mean I don't have to hit enter at the end of each line of text?".
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:53 AM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Yes, I've used MSWord, LibreOffice (up to 6.2x), HTML etc and the best results are edit / save in ODT in LibreOffice Writer with Save As DOCX for Sigil or Calibre.
I find Calibre very simple as I don't need to edit the eBook. Sigil is a more flexible approach when you need something the Wordprocessor can't do. I'm just converting wordprocessor novels, or webpages pasted & edited in WP, some novels with the odd illustration. Calibre is producing epub, then dual mobi & AZW from the epub, that look the same as the WP WYSIWG view changed to a 6" x 8.5" page with small margins with no headers or footers.

So docx -> epub2
Then epub2 -> Dual Mobi & AZW/KF8
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 02:08 PM   #14
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
From the Sigil plugin index, check [Plugin] DOCXImport for the plugin. Read diapdealer's first message in the thread. The only issue I've found the couple of times I've used it is it does import the docx as a single file so I'm forced to the manual effort of splitting it. Quel horreur!

As for the cruft, most of the odt files I've dealt with were created by would-be authors who have no idea of how to use styles. The type of user who says "You mean I don't have to hit enter at the end of each line of text?".
Well, it's thanks to you guys that I'm using Styles. And thanks for the link. I bookmarked it. I'll give it a shot.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:55 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

If you have MS Word 2007 or later you can use Toxaris's eBook add-in for Word to create ePub 2 files with nothing in between.

Calibre always flattens the CSS, including those from WP styles in DOCXes.

The Mammoth tool (the Sigil plugin is a Mammoth wrapper) requires mapping of DOCX styles to CSS entries, which means inheritance (cascade), and style names can be preserved. If you don't provide the mapping you'll lose most of the styling - which can be useful at times.

BR