Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-10-2016, 04:44 AM   #271
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
v 2.3 works OK on PW1.
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:04 AM   #272
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK on PW3, Kt3 too.
Advert
Old 10-12-2016, 03:39 PM   #273
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kt
Thanks @nasser!
We now know that kterm works at least on following devices: KT, KT3, PW1, PW2, PW3. I didn't even know there are so many of them .
baf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:12 AM   #274
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Works here on my KT2 (90C6 06) so you can add that as well.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:24 AM   #275
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Dave!

I will update first post with supported devices list.
Advert
Old 10-14-2016, 11:07 AM   #276
nasser
Evangelist

Should work on KV and KOA too. Need somebody having those to confirm.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:54 AM   #277
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Would somebody with the most recent kTerm installed on a KT-3 please check something for us?

You will also need Bluetooth speakers recognized by the KT-3 for VV (VV is pre-installed on the KT-3).

Make sure (while viewing something other than kTerm) that the two finger touch enables VV over Bluetooth (it is suppose to).

Now bring up kTerm and try that test again -
Does the two finger touch still control VV?
Does the two finger touch bring up the kTerm menu?
Both?
Neither? ( )
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:56 PM   #278
MegaBluejay
MegaBluejay began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura 2
I've been trying to figure out how to install software packages in kterm. configure files need a c compiler installed, and to install the compiler I need to run configure for that... How can I do this?
MegaBluejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:04 PM   #279
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBluejay View Post
I've been trying to figure out how to install software packages in kterm. configure files need a c compiler installed, and to install the compiler I need to run configure for that... How can I do this?
What software packages? Our packages all install with MrPI.
Define your goal.

You can't (should not) install anything to the root filesystem.
Lack of room, waste of time - they will be all overwritten at the next update.

Compiling on the Kindle itself takes a lot expert set-up, you had better tell us just what you are trying to do.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:12 PM   #280
MegaBluejay

I guess I misunderstood how kterm works. My goal was really just to show off before friends and have fun, so I was thinking apt first, so that I could install other stuff easily later, and then things like nmap, sudo, maybe a torrent client, and just generally any linux app that comes to mind. So it doesn't work like that. Oh well.

Last edited by MegaBluejay; 10-31-2016 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:40 PM   #281
MegaBluejay

Also, I have looked into it a bit more and I think I know how to do it, but it's kind of not my level. I believe if one was to cross-compile a linux app for armv71 and then move it to the kindle and run it with kterm, that would work. Right? However, I don't think I'm up to figuring out how exactly to do this ). Thanks a lot for your help

Last edited by MegaBluejay; 10-31-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:37 PM   #282
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Take a look at this
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 02:51 AM   #283
MegaBluejay

That hadn't even occured to me. Looks super cool. I might try.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:42 PM   #284
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
@baf, the SHIFT+right and SHIFT+left keys used to move to the beginning/end of the line. They don't anymore (but they do shift the console text to start at the line before the first line in the buffer -- unintuitive as that may be).

Also, I keep feeling like there is not enough visual notice that a key has been pressed, or in the case of SHIFT/CTRL/ALT is currently "held down".
I actually liked the 0.7 way of graying the key.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:17 AM   #285
baf
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
@baf, the SHIFT+right and SHIFT+left keys used to move to the beginning/end of the line. They don't anymore (but they do shift the console text to start at the line before the first line in the buffer -- unintuitive as that may be).
Thanks for feedback! You are right. The problem is that those keys shouldn't be used together with shift modifier, because the action should not be SHIFT+right but only right key. I fixed it by moving the keys to different layout layer. You will have to press "ã/F" instead of shift. You may adjust you keyboard layout yourself before I prepare new package. See the changes here.

BTW you may move the cursor to the beginning of line by pressing KT physical home button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Also, I keep feeling like there is not enough visual notice that a key has been pressed, or in the case of SHIFT/CTRL/ALT is currently "held down".
I actually liked the 0.7 way of graying the key.
This one is tricky. I tested different options, but changing key color causes ugly effects on slow e-ink screen. Some users also observed similar problems with matchbox-keyboard kterm. For now I chose a compromise, so that the effect is visible but not disturbing. At the same time I realize that the visual effects may look different on various e-ink devices or even on the same kindle model under different conditions.

I will put on my todo list a feature, that the key visual effect could be user configurable.

Last edited by baf; 11-07-2016 at 03:22 AM.

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, terminal emulator