Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-22-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
tekman
tekman began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Finally....

Got to the store and picked up a NC. Brought it home and promptly lost it to the wife. Not sure if I am ever going to see it again :-)

Oh well, maybe in a few days the novelty will wear off, but it doesn't look like it, she seems pretty enthralled with the device.

-Tekman
tekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:03 AM   #2
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
Do'h ..........

Luckily..... my wife isn't a reader.......and not tech savvy..... she's only played a few games....and surfed a bit.........so I bought her a panditigal novel (during the big clearance sale at Kohl's/BBB)......which she seems happy enough with....
No where near the same class though.......

Congrats.......to the wife

Last edited by The Joker; 01-23-2011 at 12:06 AM.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2011, 12:15 AM   #3
Red Alert
Zealot
Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor & Nook Tablet. Sony PRS-505 loaned to brother.
I hustled off to B&N today, they had a class on the NC and I wanted a closer look into it. I ended up buying one; I'm single so there is no danger of the S.O. taking it off my hands. I got it charged and registered with only minor problems. I got hung up when it came time to type the password in for my WiFi in the house. It was a classic "Chicken or Egg" situation. It wanted me to type in the password, but no keyboard was on screen. Finally I discovered I had to touch the blinking cursor in the password box to get the keyboard to come on screen. After that, a little tap-dancing to get the right passwords in the right boxes and all is well. Downloaded several free books and bought some classic SciFi to fill up some of those empty memory cells.
So far I really like the NC. I've upgraded from the Sony PRS-505. The Sony site has always been clunky and unresponsive in my opinion. The NC and the B&N site is much more polished and easy to navigate.
Now to pick out a cover....
Red
Red Alert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:28 AM   #4
tekman

It gets worse... She bought a book and started reading....
She finally went to bed so I can get a chance to play now for a few hours anyway :-)

Looks like another NC may be in our future if this keeps up. So far I LOVE the device (What little time I have had with it)....
Old 01-23-2011, 02:05 AM   #5
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
Root it, and you wii love it 10x more.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2011, 04:16 AM   #6
Latebloomer
Latebloomer began at the beginning.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastblade View Post
Root it, and you wii love it 10x more.
I'm sure this has been mentioned many times, but the connotations of that statement down here (Aus) just make me giggle
Latebloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:27 PM   #7
tekman

Rooting is on the horizon, if I can ever get it out of my wife's hands :-)

I have read (and re-read) all of the threads concerning rooting, and I am confident that I will be able to handle the chore, but I have one concern...

I know that I will be thrilled with the updated functionality, but does rooting significantly alter the "user experience" (Can I keep the basic functionality the same for my wife, but open up the goodies for me)

She seems to like it the way it is, and I am actually excited that she is enjoying it so much (despite me complaining that she took it away from me)

She actually took it to work today, I was planning on rooting it today (and recovering back to stock if necessary) before I realized it was MIA

Oh well, next paycheck..... :-)

I just hope the kids don't get too interested or I will be out some serious change in the next few months :-)

-tekman

-edit (grammer)
Old 01-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #8
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekman View Post
Rooting is on the horizon, if I can ever get it out of my wife's hands :-)

I have read (and re-read) all of the threads concerning rooting, and I am confident that I will be able to handle the chore, but I have one concern...

I know that I will be thrilled with the updated functionality, but does rooting significantly alter the "user experience" (Can I keep the basic functionality the same for my wife, but open up the goodies for me)

She seems to like it the way it is, and I am actually excited that she is enjoying it so much (despite me complaining that she took it away from me)

She actually took it to work today, I was planning on rooting it today (and recovering back to stock if necessary) before I realized it was MIA

Oh well, next paycheck..... :-)

I just hope the kids don't get too interested or I will be out some serious change in the next few months :-)

-tekman

-edit (grammer)
...just give her the bill...
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #9
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekman View Post
I have one concern...

The only user experience that will change for sure is the "Read in Store" and coupon feature. Otherwise, your rooted Nook can appear just the same.

However, most people (and I believe the autonooter) will install a different home screen. This changes the experience a little. You can alway change the home screen back to the B&N default using "Home switcher" (either installed by autonooter or download from the Market).

If you choose to go back to the B&N home screen, the apps you add will appear in "Extras". One downside to the B&N home screen: when you add apps, you must restart the Nook to have them appear; other homescreens don't have this limitation. Once you have most apps on the Nook, this won't be a big issue.

One more tip: I have 5 kids, and although my wife doesn't show much interest in my NC, I think I need to remove Angry Birds if I want to be able to use the NC when my kids are around ....
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote