Notices

Old 10-01-2009, 07:42 AM   #1
esecallum
Banned
esecallum began at the beginning.

Device: none
Challenge and Urgent Appeal--Ereaders Required

Challenge and Urgent Appeal --- EReaders Required

I wish someone would turn or hack a cheap $20 or $30 5 inch or 4 inch lcd digital photo frame into a ebook reader for text and rtf files.

I don't want wi-fi, bluetooth, internet access and fancy writing screens,pushing up the price.People who want that can pay extra.

A 4gb flash memory can store 10000 books easily.

Ideally it should have 4gb storage from a internal flash or memory sdd card with a long battery life or the option to turn the backlight off.

By the way why is the amount of memory on the present over priced devices so niggardly?
I mean you can easily get a flash memory of 4 gig for
$3. Most devices have 64 megs or 256 megs.What a joke.

A lcd displays don't consume much power this could extend the battery life.

Eink is unfortunately over priced and SLOW.

Ebook readers like the amazon kindle and sony ereader cost as much as a laptop at present! Rip off pricing.

ebook readers cost from $300 to $800.

They are a rip off.

Manufacturers by keeping prices high are shooting themselves in the foot with poor sales.Very stupid people at the top.

What a rip off.

I mean $300 to $800 for a ebookreader.

You can buy a complex mini netbook for less then a ebook reader now.Only reason I don't use a netbook is due to the poor battery life of only a few hours.

I don't want to pay that much on principle.

Even a mini netbook is unsuitable for ebook reading due to the short battery life.

A low power low cost photoframe would be ideal.

I am surprised that no one has done this hack.

The focus in various forums unfortunately seems to be turning photo frame into video displays for moving pictures which they are not really designed due to their poor frame rates of 8/second! A pointless exercise.

They would are more suited to be ebook readers.

Anyone up for this challenge?

I also appeal to Chinese folk here if you could start producing a simple dedicated paperback sized 4 .5 or 5.00 inch sized screen size thin ebook reader with a lcd screen with optional back light.

Should be able to read text,rtf,pdf,html,word.

no blue tooth.no wi-fi,no hi-fi,no screen annotations,no screen writing,no hand writing,no editing,no coffee making.People who want these gizmos can pay extra for it in mark 2/3 versions.

should run of 2 aa batteries for a month.

should be under $50.

Last edited by esecallum; 10-01-2009 at 07:45 AM.
esecallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:13 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
If these are your requirements I am sorry to say you will never get an eBook Reader anytime soon. Your requirements are currently unrealistic based on the technology available.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2009, 06:33 AM   #3
esecallum
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
If these are your requirements I am sorry to say you will never get an eBook Reader anytime soon. Your requirements are currently unrealistic based on the technology available.

Dale
You are completely wrong again.

My requirements are minimal.

I mean you can get a 4 gig TFT screen device which can display complex color moving images at 25 to 30 frames a second ,plays mp3,mp4,avi,etc,files all for under $25 and you are saying to me that a cheaper lcd creen device cannot display a simple blacl and white static text image at a very slow frame rate of 1 every 30 seconds or so?
Old 10-02-2009, 07:33 AM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Sorry, but I agree with Dale. The market/business is (as always) doing it's best to adjust and optimize formats, prices, technology. Sony in particular is quite adept at this and have done an excellent job with the PRS 300 and in tracking and building the market as it currently exists.

Eink is used instead of lcd for many reasons which I won't go into. There's tons of information out there if you want to know - google is your friend.

Same with most of your other requirements/wishes.

If you think you can do something like this, get financial backing and have a market, then I say go for it! See what happens.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:54 AM   #5
esecallum
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Sorry, but I agree with Dale. The market/business is (as always) doing it's best to adjust and optimize formats, prices, technology. Sony in particular is quite adept at this and have done an excellent job with the PRS 300 and in tracking and building the market as it currently exists.

Eink is used instead of lcd for many reasons which I won't go into. There's tons of information out there if you want to know - google is your friend.

Same with most of your other requirements/wishes.

If you think you can do something like this, get financial backing and have a market, then I say go for it! See what happens.
You agree with Dale as he is your buddy.Not because there are any merits to his lame reasons.
Advert
Old 10-02-2009, 08:08 AM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by esecallum View Post
You agree with Dale as he is your buddy.Not because there are any merits to his lame reasons.
No. and

I don't know Dale any more than I know you or you know either of us.

We are both responding to your initial posting.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:23 AM   #7
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
MobileRead is a forum dedicated to the discussion of reading on electronic devices. We strive to keep things here polite. Please refrain from being confrontational in your posts.

pshrynk (moderator)
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:44 AM   #8
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
I wish someone would turn or hack a cheap $20 or $30 5 inch or 4 inch lcd digital photo frame into a ebook reader for text and rtf files.

... A low power low cost photoframe would be ideal.
This has already been done.
If you turn your text into images then you can read on a digital photograph frame now.
See the wiki page on the Zune Ebook Creator:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Zune_ebook_creator

Other members have reviewed digital photograph frames:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26295

The miBook is an version of the photo frame idea:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25478

Incidentally, might I suggest that you ask a question in just one place on the forum? Your recent posts seem to duplicate this question.

Last edited by Patricia; 10-02-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:43 AM   #9
esecallum
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
This has already been done.
If you turn your text into images then you can read on a digital photograph frame now.
See the wiki page on the Zune Ebook Creator:

Other members have reviewed digital photograph frames:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26295

The miBook is an version of the photo frame idea:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25478

Incidentally, might I suggest that you ask a question in just one place on the forum? Your recent posts seem to duplicate this question.
I am afraid text to jpgs is too much hard work and is for people who have free time.

The frames u mentioned seemed to have limited functionality with very poor battery life of a few hours.Hardly advanced.Over priced also.

The forum needs to be tightened up as is too unwieldy and cluttered with too many separate forums making it highly cluttered and looks disorganized.It need to be streamlined and look tidy.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:56 PM   #10
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
I am afraid text to jpgs is too much hard work and is for people who have free time.
1. paste text into OpenOffice.org Writer
2. Format Text - set page size, margins, font, ...
3. Print into pdf file
4. load pdf into GSview program, and export it onto series of bitmap files. I suggest that you use some greyscale loseless format (NOT jpeg)

Once you have all programs installed and you know what to do it takes less than 3 minutes of your work per book.

Quote:
The forum needs to be tightened up as is too unwieldy and cluttered with too many separate forums making it highly cluttered and looks disorganized.It need to be streamlined and look tidy.
Hold your horses!
How long have you been here?
You have 17 posts under your belt.
I have been here for years and I am happy with the organization of the forum. The organization of the forum has been developed over many years.

I strongly suggest, take your time in learning how to use the forum. I also strongly suggest you learn basic netiquette. Like not posting exactly same question in two different places on the same forum ...

If you look for dirt-cheap solution, try to purchase cheapest second hand notebook. This is how I started with e-books. I salvaged an old notebook from trash. Later on I managed to buy very cheap and hopelessly obsolete Cassiopeia A-11, and later Cassiopeia A-20. They have transreflective grey LCD display and last up to 20 reading hours on a pair of AA batteries
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #11
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
You are completely wrong again.

My requirements are minimal.
No, he's not wrong.

I don't care how minimal your requirements are. Before this will happen, someone with the ability to do it will have to see an opportunity to make money doing it.

The first question is how much you can make on a device like what you desire.

Semiconductor electronics are pure economies of scale. A good chunk of the cost of a device is the debt service on the financing needed to build the factory to make the device. The more widgets you can make, the smaller a share of the overhead each will carry, and the cheaper you can make the price.

The problem is, to get really low pricing, you have to make and sell lots of widgets. Is the market for what you want large enough to let a manufacturer make them at your preferred price point and make enough money to justify doing it? I very much doubt it.

We aren't talking about something like an iPod for whom everyone is a potential customer. Devices to read ebooks are a niche market. It's a growing market, with more competitors tossing their hats into the ring, but it's nowhere near supporting what you want to see.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:09 PM   #12
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Zune ebook creator is actually very quick:
once you have tweaked the basic settings to your requirements.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:41 AM   #13
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post

Dale
Are they really? All it would take is a firmware hack on a photo frame! But then there is the issue of battery life.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:23 AM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Are they really? All it would take is a firmware hack on a photo frame! But then there is the issue of battery life.
exactly, the requirements say it must run a month on two AA cells. I have tried using a photoframe to read ebooks. the screen resolution was 480x234 pixels which was not very clear to read text on. There are programs that can turn ebooks into images for displaying on the device. In addition it would eat batteries like they were going out of style due to the backlight.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:49 AM   #15
esecallum
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
1. paste text into OpenOffice.org Writer
2. Format Text - set page size, margins, font, ...
3. Print into pdf file
4. load pdf into GSview program, and export it onto series of bitmap files. I suggest that you use some greyscale loseless format (NOT jpeg)

Once you have all programs installed and you know what to do it takes less than 3 minutes of your work per book.

Hold your horses!
How long have you been here?
You have 17 posts under your belt.
I have been here for years and I am happy with the organization of the forum. The organization of the forum has been developed over many years.

I strongly suggest, take your time in learning how to use the forum. I also strongly suggest you learn basic netiquette. Like not posting exactly same question in two different places on the same forum ...

If you look for dirt-cheap solution, try to purchase cheapest second hand notebook. This is how I started with e-books. I salvaged an old notebook from trash. Later on I managed to buy very cheap and hopelessly obsolete Cassiopeia A-11, and later Cassiopeia A-20. They have transreflective grey LCD display and last up to 20 reading hours on a pair of AA batteries
Thanks for your input.I still disagree.The text to jpeg is cumbersome.I don't want to spend 3 minutes (really 30 minutes since you have to switch on computer..do conversion.get the reader..get the usb wires...connect to the computer usb..copy/loadfiles....unplug usb...put away wires..files delete surplus files..switch computer off).

So are really misleading with the 3 minutes.it is more like 30 minutes.

Regarding this mess of the site you are wrong again.

Spending 17 years on a unwieldy site has accustomed you to its untidyness in the same way a teenager gets used to the mess in his bedroom.

I am new and fresh,young and perceptive, and can see how it is such a mess. It lt also looks very plain old fashioned and dowdy, and thus you are giving reading a bad image. A bad ambassador for your cause.

The owner needs to get up ,do some work and rise above his complacency and make the site more funky and modern.

This will increase traffic which means he can start putting adverts and make some more money,perhaps enough for him to buy a new car and toys for the kids and a nice dress for his wife.