Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-01-2011, 11:59 PM   #1
SunLight
Connoisseur
SunLight began at the beginning.

Device: none
MobiPocket Creator -> PDF to MOBI -> Gray Font on Kindle 3

It seems when I convert some of my PDFs to MOBI on MobiPocket Creator 4.2 (the latest version), and put it onto my Kindle by way of USB Cable, when I open it on my Kindle, the font looks grayer than other MOBI files I have created in the past.

I do not understand why this is the case since MobiPocket seems to convert it to MOBI from PDF by way of the "searchable text".

Can anyone explain to me why this is the case, why some MOBIs that I have created have the correct shade of black, and other MOBIs that I have created with the same app are grayer and lighter in color.

It's not a glitch with the Kindle since I have tried these files on two separate Kindles.

Thanks
SunLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #2
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunLight View Post
I do not understand why this is the case since MobiPocket seems to convert it to MOBI from PDF by way of the "searchable text".

Can anyone explain to me why this is the case, why some MOBIs that I have created have the correct shade of black, and other MOBIs that I have created with the same app are grayer and lighter in color.
What do the original PDFs look like? Mobi Creator tries to preserve color attributes for correct display on a device that supports color. What you may be seeing is an artifact of grayscale conversion on the Kindle from something that wasn't originally black.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
SunLight
Connoisseur
SunLight began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
What do the original PDFs look like? Mobi Creator tries to preserve color attributes for correct display on a device that supports color. What you may be seeing is an artifact of grayscale conversion on the Kindle from something that wasn't originally black.
______
Dennis
Interesting thought, is there a way to fix this, either by somehow converting all fonts used in the pdf to pure-black or some other way?
SunLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunLight View Post
Interesting thought, is there a way to fix this, either by somehow converting all fonts used in the pdf to pure-black or some other way?
Savvy HTML? MobiCreator rips source files to HTML, and builds the Mobi book from it. You can stop after the rip to HTML stage and edit the generated HTML, then build the book from it. Editing the HTML will allow you to adjust the color attributes assigned to text.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote