Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-10-2013, 05:12 AM   #3166
rryk
rryk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Which firewall are you using?
The Amazon default or ours?
The default.
rryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #3167
rlowe
Enthusiast
rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3; Kindle DX
Hi guys,

I've just received my new Kindle DX Graphite few hours ago. The annoying things is that I cannot use the device's wireless feature since Amazon does not provide its network in my country. So, I did search in the forum and find this topic.

However after jailbreaking the device (using dxg.bin), I failed to install the usbnetworking, and also the fonts hack. Could you show me some advice?
rlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #3168
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlowe View Post
However after jailbreaking the device (using dxg.bin), I failed to install the usbnetworking, and also the fonts hack. Could you show me some advice?
Could you give us more details than "failed to work" please?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #3169
rlowe
Enthusiast
rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Could you give us more details than "failed to work" please?
I installed just like the instruction: after copy "update_usbnetwork_0.49.N_dxg_install.bin" to the root directory, I ejected the Kindle and go to Settings -> Press menu, than "Update your kindle", than nothing happened.

I also tried to install the font hacks with the same steps, but after rebooting the device and test with the User Guide mobi file from Amazon, I didn't find the option to change to other fonts when pressing Aa key.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #3170
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I installed just like the instruction: after copy "update_usbnetwork_0.49.N_dxg_install.bin" to the root directory, I ejected the Kindle and go to Settings -> Press menu, than "Update your kindle", than nothing happened.
Was the "update your Kindle" grayed out?

Did you get the "confirm install update" pop-up?

Was the update_*_install.bin file removed from user storage afterward?

Did you try to enable (turn on) usbnetworking after you installed it?
Advert
Old 08-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #3171
rlowe
Enthusiast

Quote:
Was the "update your Kindle" grayed out?

Did you get the "confirm install update" pop-up?

Was the update_*_install.bin file removed from user storage afterward?

Did you try to enable (turn on) usbnetworking after you installed it?
Hmm, it turns out that my KDX was freezed after I press "Update your Kindle". It was not grayed out though. I tried to install the .bin file again and get the "confirm install update", after that the device rebooted. I also plugged in to check and see that the install.bin file was removed from storage.

I did not find any tutorial to turn on usbnetworking in this thread, so I googled for a while and try these steps: type ";debugon" to the search box and press Enter; then do the same with "`usbnetwork". However, after connecting the device to PC, I didn't see any menu pop up on both my laptop or KDX. The Kindle icon was not appeared in My Computer too. I used Windows 7 32bit by the way.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #3172
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@rlowe: There's a shiny readme in the USBNet package. Read it.

That's kinda the point of usbnet, the Kindle not being used as an USB Mass Storage device, so, nothing out of the ordinary so far as the Windows behavior you're describing .

As for the fonts hack, read the docs again, it will *never* allow you to see extra stuff in the Aa menu (unlike what's possible with FW 5.3).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:59 AM   #3173
rlowe
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@rlowe: There's a shiny readme in the USBNet package. Read it.

That's kinda the point of usbnet, the Kindle not being used as an USB Mass Storage device, so, nothing out of the ordinary so far as the Windows behavior you're describing .

As for the fonts hack, read the docs again, it will *never* allow you to see extra stuff in the Aa menu (unlike what's possible with FW 5.3).
Thanks NiLuJe! I was able to connect to my DXG through my laptop after following the readme file (actually READ_ME_FIRST). A little irony thing is that I had to switch to Ubuntu to simplify the process, since the guide in readme file is made for Linux only.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #3174
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Thanks NiLuJe! I was able to connect to my DXG through my laptop after following the readme file (actually READ_ME_FIRST). A little irony thing is that I had to switch to Ubuntu to simplify the process, since the guide in readme file is made for Linux only.
Standard industry practice.
Support of MS operating systems is "by purchase".

The first step for the owner of a MS operating system is **always** "open your wallet".
Old 08-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #3175
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And another round of updates! As usual, mostly updated binaries.

* Fonts 5.10.N, SS 0.39.N:
* Updated binaries

* Python 0.6.N:
* Updated binaries, fix ssl & pyexpat modules on the K4. Installs a python symlink, no need to tweak the env.

* USBNetwork 0.50.N:
* Implemented the unique MAC address stuff, which'll be explained in more details in the K5 thread.
* Switched the default IPs on a K4 to match diags (fresh installs only).

Last edited by twobob; 08-17-2013 at 02:54 PM. Reason: twypos ;)
Old 08-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #3176
Jedidiyah
Enthusiast
Jedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle DX graphite
Which of the fonts (other than Droid Sans family) support cyrillic characters and where can one get them? I just need ttf files, not font hacks. Thank you.
Jedidiyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #3177
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Jedidiyah: The full Droid/Noto family (not specifically Sans) should support Cyrillic. Apart from that, it's not my native script, so I can't tell you more than that .
Old 08-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #3178
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedidiyah View Post
Which of the fonts (other than Droid Sans family) support cyrillic characters and where can one get them? I just need ttf files, not font hacks. Thank you.
Here is 629 of them to choose from:
http://www.google.com/fonts/
51 of them Cyrillic, 32 of them Cyrillic Extended,

Last edited by knc1; 08-19-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #3179
Jedidiyah
Enthusiast
Jedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle DX graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1
Here is 629 of them to choose from:
Sorry, I can not figure out how to download files for them. After selecting fornts it takes you to a page that says something about adding code to your website, and integrating them into your CSS ???
Jedidiyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:18 PM   #3180
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Jedidiyah: Might be easier (or not, depending on how much you like mercurial) to get them from here: https://code.google.com/p/googlefontdirectory/

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet