Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 05:51 AM   #46
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Even the person who invented the word quickly worked out it should be spelled aluminium. Most Americans spelled it correctly too for the first hundred years it was around.

And then you decided to always spell it incorrectly in 1925. Just contrariness if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You agree to take that extra "i" out of aluminum and we can talk.

BOb
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:08 AM   #47
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Anything to be different ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 06:36 AM   #48
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
Have we abandoned "liseuse?"
I don't like the word. It sounds foreign to me, goldurn it.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:38 AM   #49
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Two words for a device will never take root in the public's voice. Too awkward. Most don't even use "television" any more. TV suffices.
"Mabel, call the repair person to fix the.....air conditioner!

"Mabel, call the repairwoman to fix this crappy AC!"

Hahahahahah.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:30 AM   #50
fglaysher
Connoisseur
fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader & Aluratek Libre Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejay View Post
Your blogs are well written. Many of us have drawn some of those same conclusions, and wonder about the implications of digital vs. paper issues.
Thanks for commenting.

I do think that you're right that many people ereading (generic term) these days have come to some similar conclusions and are wondering about the various issues and dynamics involved. I don't claim to have all the answers, if there are any. My blog eReading has allowed me to reflect on and begin to record my own views on the broad *experience* of reading on electronic hardware, versus, I hope, a particular device, and the technicalities of a specific one at that, which it seems to me mobileread.com tends toward, as its organization by manufacturer demonstrates. I like and use mobileread.com a lot, an invaluable resource and service to the ereading community! Just a different goal on my blog which I think can be best served in that form. A blog, too, is aimed at the wider Net, and I hope might be a way for others interested to share their views specifically more on the reading *experience* itself, especially along the lines and perspective I'm really interested in focusing on.

Thanks to all those who have commented.

Frederick Glaysher
eReading. The experience of eReading
http://www.fglaysher.com/eReading
fglaysher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 12:18 AM   #51
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I never adopted it. But YES!

I am going with PADD from now on.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:13 AM   #52
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
i did a cursory search on MR and it didn't seem to come up (and it seems interesting in any case, although the perspective is perhaps a somewhat more academic rather than casual), but have people seen or read this Rand.org Article?
It seems pertinent.

Innovation and the Future of Ebooks
Quote:
John W.Warren is Director of Marketing, Publications, at the RAND Corporation, a nonprofit research institute that helps improve policy and decisionmaking through research and analysis. John has nearly two decades of experience in the publishing industry, with special focus on marketing and digital publishing. Previously, John managed marketing efforts for Mexican publisher Fondo de Cultura Económica, Sage Publications, and Sylvan Learning, Inc., and has provided consulting services to firms seeking to expand business in Mexico and South America. He has presented at major publishing conferences in the United States and internationally. He has a Masters in International Management from the Graduate School of International Relations and Pacific Studies (IR/PS) at the University of California, San Diego.
Quote:
Abstract: The technological development and cultural acceptance of e-books today parallels the state of the printed book in the 15th century. E-books are increasingly available from a variety of distributors and retailers, and work on a myriad of devices, but the majority remain simply digitized versions of print books. Some devices or platforms include such tools as word definitions, highlighting, and note taking, but many of these tools simply mimic what students and researchers have traditionally done with printed texts. This paper examines three examples of innovative e-books in order to illustrate the potential and pitfalls of electronic publications. The first is a history e-text that includes 1,700 primary-source documents—such as Presidential memos, reports, and even audio and video clips—linked from footnotes, providing a treasure trove of research material to readers. The second is a novella in hypertext form. The third example examines digital textbooks that include multimedia, assessment, and other digital tools. Each of these cases demonstrates creative approaches, business models, and methods of review that point to the enhanced, interactive, interlinked future of the e-book.

Last edited by zerospinboson; 03-02-2009 at 05:52 PM. Reason: made a few additions
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:33 AM   #53
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
To help Harry T. out, here is a two word common appliance usage - "dish washer". It isn't called just washer because you get confused with clothes washer, nor is it call dish, for obvious reasons, as well. And I have never heard it referred to as DW either....

I will still use liseuse....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:00 AM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
To help Harry T. out, here is a two word common appliance usage - "dish washer". It isn't called just washer because you get confused with clothes washer, nor is it call dish, for obvious reasons, as well. And I have never heard it referred to as DW either....
In this country, "dishwasher" is most commonly written as one word, rather than two .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:52 PM   #55
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In this country, "dishwasher" is most commonly written as one word, rather than two .
I was thinking the same thing!
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:57 PM   #56
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It is in all the US except for Texas I guess. Also, isn't it a

dish warsher there?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:59 AM   #57
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Dude... we should so become an OEM and rebrand one of the devices as a PADD! All the Trek geeks will so buy it!

BOb
I use their themes on my Nokia N800..the sounds are just like the "real" ones.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:06 AM   #58
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Is that not someting one finds in the typical Yeropian "bathroom"?
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:43 AM   #59
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
Is that not someting one finds in the typical Yeropian "bathroom"?
you may be thinking of the kindle. but they're not officially available in Yerope.

my liseuse never gets close to the bathroom ; i'd be afraid to drop it on the tile floor, or splash water on it, or something else...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:00 AM   #60
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech_Master View Post
I wish people would quit using "eReader" and derivatives so confusingly. eReader is one specific company (well, two, counting Fictionwise) and one specific reader format put out by that company.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
I think it's too late. Most people say "kleenex" rather than "tissue" - even though, if they think about it, they know that Kleenex is a brand name. It doesn't really matter as the concept is still conveyed properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Calling it an eReader will just confuse the issue and have some people thinking that eReader format is the format to purchase. Please refrain from invorrect use of the term eReader.

What we have is anot an eReader. It's an Electronic eBook Display Device or if you prefer, eBook Viewer and some will even call it an eBook Reader. But it is definitely not an eReader. eReader is a the name of an eBook format and the program used to display eReader format. Even using the term spelled ereader (without the capitol R) can be confusing for sum. Especially since Fictionwise says eReader is the recommended format all over their site.
eReader can become both a brandname and a category name. How many of you remember the walkman? Only Sony was allowed to brandish that word, but everybody had a walkman. And what about the ipod? You can hardly find a text anymore that talks of an "MP3 player", but it rather talks about an "ipod or other music player".

Quote:
I am going with PADD from now on.

BOb
I agree with this! I would so buy a device with that name, even if only to say I have a PADD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
my liseuse never gets close to the bathroom ; i'd be afraid to drop it on the tile floor, or splash water on it, or something else...
I often read in the bathtub, it is, after all, one of the better places to read!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote