Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 12-22-2008, 01:38 PM   #1
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What format to use for huge HTML directory -> iPhone?

I need to know what format to use to change the Complete Confluence Documentation into something I can put on my iPod Touch for ready reference.

I have the 66-megabyte HTML version, downloaded from the above link.

I have Calibre, but it won't start on my Windows box. (Have asked over in the Calibre forum about that.)

What's the best way for me to put this on my non-jailbroken 32 gig G1 iPod Touch? I have Stanza, Bookshelf, eReader, iSilo, and of course Mobile Safari.

I could do it with iSilo, and likely will if some better solution can't be found. But I was hoping to make it into something I could read with a slightly more user-friendly app.

If it can be easily done with Calibre, can someone else do it for me?
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:03 PM   #2
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Plucker is suitable for html files if there is a reader for it.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2008, 02:50 PM   #3
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's not just a file, it's an entire directorial hierarchy. Will Plucker still work for that?
Old 12-22-2008, 03:07 PM   #4
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech_Master View Post
It's not just a file, it's an entire directorial hierarchy. Will Plucker still work for that?
Yes, that is what plucker is good at. You can give a web address to plucker and specify the maximum level of links to follow and then get one file suitable for offline browsing. Here is an example:
Code:
plucker-build --doc-file=interaction2005 --home-url="http://www.interaction.worldcon.org.uk/" --maxdepth=10 --bpp=8 --compression=zlib --stayonhost
Old 12-22-2008, 03:09 PM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

It occurred to me that maybe the Touch supports browsing from files. In that case you can just use wget with suitable flags to get the whole structure.
Advert
Old 12-22-2008, 04:52 PM   #6
Robotech_Master
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Yes, that is what plucker is good at. You can give a web address to plucker and specify the maximum level of links to follow and then get one file suitable for offline browsing.
OK, I tried it. And Plucker crashed out, I guess on an example link within the document:

Processing http://my-conf-server:my-conf-port/testdatabase.jsp...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\Plucker/parser/python/PyPlucker/Spider.py", line 1734, in ?
sys.exit(realmain(None))
File "C:\Program Files\Plucker/parser/python/PyPlucker/Spider.py", line 1719, in realmain
retval = main (config, exclusion_lists)
File "C:\Program Files\Plucker/parser/python/PyPlucker/Spider.py", line 1124, in main
spider.process_all(verbose=verbosity)
File "C:\Program Files\Plucker/parser/python/PyPlucker/Spider.py", line 623, in process_all
self.process (verbose, estimate, statusfile)
File "C:\Program Files\Plucker/parser/python/PyPlucker/Spider.py", line 732, in process
post_data=post_data)
File "C:\Program Files\Plucker/parser/python\PyPlucker\Retriever.py", line 313, in retrieve
result = self._retrieve (url, alias_list, post_data)
File "C:\Program Files\Plucker/parser/python\PyPlucker\Retriever.py", line 212, in _retrieve
webdoc = self._urlopener.open (real_url, post_data)
File "C:\Program Files\Plucker\parser\python\vm\lib\urllib.py", line 176, in open
return getattr(self, name)(url)
File "C:\Program Files\Plucker\parser\python\vm\lib\urllib.py", line 277, in open_http
h = httplib.HTTP(host)
File "C:\Program Files\Plucker\parser\python\vm\lib\httplib.py", line 666, in __init__
self._conn = self._connection_class(host, port)
File "C:\Program Files\Plucker\parser\python\vm\lib\httplib.py", line 342, in __init__
self._set_hostport(host, port)
File "C:\Program Files\Plucker\parser\python\vm\lib\httplib.py", line 348, in _set_hostport
port = int(host[i+1:])
ValueError: invalid literal for int(): my-conf-port
Installing channel output to destinations...
Setting new due date...
Tasks completed for all channels.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:59 PM   #7
Robotech_Master
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
It occurred to me that maybe the Touch supports browsing from files. In that case you can just use wget with suitable flags to get the whole structure.
Um what?

I already have the whole structure. They offer it in a zip file.

I downloaded it. I unzipped it onto my computer. Now I need to put it in a suitable form for syncing to my iPhone.

You can't "wget" stuff to an iPhone, alas. At least not an unjailbroken one.

I need to convert it to a form that an e-reader on my iPod can use, but need to figure out how to do that first.