Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-18-2014, 02:51 AM   #16
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
This is a greedy update. Requires at least 6.9 GB of storage. People with 16GB devices like me will struggle to free up space. On my iPad Air it says 11.2GB used and 1.5GB available. They need to stop selling 16GB devices, given that several gigs are already consumed when you buy the thing.
It needs space for the current operating system, the downloaded new operating system, and unpacking the new operating system, so you'll regain most of the space after installation.

That is also why it takes up less space when going through iTunes, as mentioned above, as download and unpacking is done on the computer instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harriska2 View Post
Can you roll back to 7?
No.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:37 AM   #17
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Important warning about iCloud drive: PSA: Do not upgrade to iCloud Drive during iOS 8 installation.

ETA: according to the comments on the article, there is a compatibility problem only if you use iCloud to sync documents with your Mac, or with other iOS devices that can't upgrade to iOS8. Syncing of contacts, calendars, notes are not affected by that. So it's a bit hard to say whether I am affected or not. It's a bit confusing.

Anyway, I'll wait a few days at least before upgrading, as usual.

Last edited by FlorenceArt; 09-18-2014 at 04:59 AM.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2014, 05:33 AM   #18
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Well I've had to reset as lots of stuff had been deleted including my entire kindle library. Lets hope the restore goes well.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:55 AM   #19
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Downloading!
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:03 AM   #20
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
Well I've had to reset as lots of stuff had been deleted including my entire kindle library. Lets hope the restore goes well.

I've just updated the mini so far. That's my "guinea pig" device for any iOS update.

It looks like I'll have to re download my entire Kobo library, as I'm getting a "content error" message when I try to open any book.

My most up to date Scribd app was misbehaving before the upgrade to 8 (I had to remove and then redownload any book on my device before it would open), but now the books open. It looks different, however, doesn't function properly in landscape mode.

Kindle had an update for iOS 8. Kobo did not. Aha, it's the books purchased from Kobo that won't open. The books transferred from my Sony account are all fine. Edited to add, looks like some kobo books open, some do not. The kobo books that do open are very slow to open, but that was happening before the upgrade, too.

Btw, I see Audible is advising people to not download their latest update.

Last edited by 49Kat; 09-18-2014 at 10:08 AM.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2014, 10:06 AM   #21
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
It looks like I'll have to re download my entire Kobo library, as I'm getting a "content error" message when I try to open any book.
It may be that the app is not ready for iOS8, so an update to the app may fix it. (Or a re-download as you mention yourself)
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:31 AM   #22
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
I've just updated the mini so far. That's my "guinea pig" device for any iOS update.

My most up to date Scribd app was misbehaving before the upgrade to 8 (I had to remove and then redownload any book on my device before it would open), but now the books open. It looks different, however, doesn't function properly in landscape mode.

Kindle had an update for iOS 8. Kobo did not. Aha, it's the books purchased from Kobo that won't open. The books transferred from my Sony account are all fine. Edited to add, looks like some kobo books open, some do not. The kobo books that do open are very slow to open, but that was happening before the upgrade, too.

Btw, I see Audible is advising people to not download their latest update.
My iPod touch is the tester lol
Well I reset and then restored and my app data including all my kindle library seem to be intact. I will do some more investigations before I update my ipad.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:53 AM   #23
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
It may be that the app is not ready for iOS8, so an update to the app may fix it. (Or a re-download as you mention yourself)
I've re done the download on one of the books. It won't open at all. Another book simply wouldn't open, no error message. I removed it and downloaded and it still won't open. A third book that did have the error message works just fine when I redo the download.

The mini is my on-the-go reader, so this is a major nuisance. I might end up downloading the whole works to Bluefire, although I was finding it laggy. (It freezes when it tries to sync).

In any case, it's going to take a long time to get my kobo library functional again. I'm really surprised kobo wouldn't make an effort to get on board with iOS 8. Kindle had an update for me as soon as the iOS was on my mini.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:24 AM   #24
jswinden
Nameless Being

Another good set of reasons to wait before installing iOS8--apps not yet updated for it. Last time updates to apps trickled in for weeks, if not months. It was a bit frustrating early on, but eventually it improved.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:10 PM   #25
49Kat
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
Do you mean that you were able to roll back to 7? Can you describe what you did to reset?
Old 09-18-2014, 09:03 PM   #26
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I haven't had any trouble, except that a bunch (or all?) apps seem to have had notifications turned on, when they were all off. I pretty much hate notifications for everything except maybe messages.

My daughter, however, had her iPad totally wiped and had to start from scratch.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:35 PM   #27
49Kat
Fanatic

I heard from Kobo support after I told them iOS 8 broke their app. They said they had an update that would fix that. I downloaded it and did a quick check. It does look OK, although I haven't had much time to get into it. Looks like I won't have to do a reset.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:30 AM   #28
49Kat
Fanatic

Spoke too soon re the Kobo app. Some books are OK, some won't open at all, content error. Some re downloaded and still not opening...<sigh>
Old 09-19-2014, 06:38 AM   #29
NickyWithNook
Guru

I use an outside calendar app that isn't working right. Ugh.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:53 AM   #30
jswinden
Nameless Being

As typical whenever a new iOS is released, we are getting dozens of app updates. I didn't update to iOS 8, but I get the app updates anyway. I've noticed this morning that several of these app updates will not install, at least on the first try or three. Some eventually install after several attempts, but some don't. Maybe the server is overloaded.