Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #31
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Thumbs down

You're drinking the Apple Kool Aid, Jack, and it seems you're not following the news. Android has now overtaken iOS in the tablet space, too, and with the ridiculous price-point of $399 for the iPad mini, that trend is only going to intensify now. Hell, even the $229 for Nexus 7 isn't exactly a low price, but $399 is another stratosphere.

Apple are now pricing an 8-inch tablet as if it was a 10-inch tablet. That's a fact. They've now firmly lodged themselves into the luxury niche. Retaining the position of the market leader while operating from the luxury niche, is impossible.

Android will do to iOS what Windows did to Mac OS. It "works" for Apple, you're saying? I don't think so. Apple nearly went bankrupt, employing that strategy. If it hadn't been for a string of new Jobs inventions (iPod, iPhone, iPad), they'd be gone by now.

Btw, stop thrashing Android, please. Based on my impressions of Android 4.3 from the new Nexus 7, it's an outstanding, flexible OS. I definitely prefer it over iOS -- not to mention that it now looks much better, too, compared to the hideous iOS 7!
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #32
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Most recent Apple Os.
What happened to the kitty cats?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #33
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Is it 8 inches? If not, I pass.
I thought that the 7 in "Nexus 7" was indication enough of what the size was.

FWIW, 8" is still too small for PDFs, in my opinion.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #34
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Wow, the new Air is only 1 pound versus 1.4 for last years iPad. I might have to try one.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #35
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I thought that the 7 in "Nexus 7" was indication enough of what the size was.

Not in landscape, not with iPad's mini form factor.

The Nexus 7 is not only small but the Os still takes important space from sides. It is not only the hardware but the way the applications are being designed for Android.

Trust me! I've being there, done that. I had a Nexus 7 and sold it. I honestly do not care if the mini is an Apple product or not. It's just that it works better for my particular case.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #36
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm waiting for the iPad Vapor; the smallest and lightest iPad ever -- 0.00 GHz, 0 GB RAM, 0 GB storage, 0 MP front and rear cams, 0.00" thick and 0.00 oz light. All for a paltry $999
Old 10-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #37
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I agree. That said, I much prefer the iPad's 3:4 ratio over the Nexus 7's 10:16.

By the way, "PDF book" is an oxymoron. Anything published in the PDF format is not a book. It's an office file masquerading as a book, at best.

The reason why PDFs look better on iPad than Nexus 7? It's because the aspect ratio of a typical office sheet of paper is closer to 3:4 than 10:16. Any PDF file will look slightly "squeezed" onto a screen with the 10:16 (let alone 9:16) aspect ratio.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #38
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I don't regret buying my Nook HD and read on it while out and about I would never be with out an iPad, either main size or mini, everything just flows easier and smoother on an iPad. My Nook is okay within the apps but its choppy going between apps. I just much prefer the iOS software.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #39
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Wow, the new Air is only 1 pound versus 1.4 for last years iPad. I might have to try one.

I think iPad Air still gives you the best value for money in the 10-inch tablet space. It's the best tablet, period.

iPad mini Retina compared to Nexus 7? Not a chance. Nexus 7 wins hands down in the "value for money" department there. You could even make a case for some of the even cheaper Android tablets to give you better "value for money" than iPad mini Retina. There are quite a few decent $149 Android tablets around.

iPad mini Retina is a luxury product. Good luck to Apple in bringing it to the "masses" (?). "Luxury for the masses"? There goes another oxymoron.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #40
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
What happened to the kitty cats?
They didn't want to complicate it with exotic cats. Now they're naming it after places in California.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #41
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

It's still very much an "animal" name (in two senses, no less).
Old 10-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #42
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
You're drinking the Apple Kool Aid, Jack, and it seems you're not following the news. Android has now overtaken iOS in the tablet space, too, and with the ridiculous price-point of $399 for the iPad mini, that trend is only going to intensify now. Hell, even the $229 for Nexus 7 isn't exactly a low price, but $399 is another stratosphere.

Apple are now pricing an 8-inch tablet as if it was a 10-inch tablet. That's a fact. They've now firmly lodged themselves into the luxury niche. Retaining the position of the market leader while operating from the luxury niche, is impossible.

Android will do to iOS what Windows did to Mac OS. It "works" for Apple, you're saying? I don't think so. Apple nearly went bankrupt, employing that strategy. If it hadn't been for a string of new Jobs inventions (iPod, iPhone, iPad), they'd be gone by now.

Btw, stop thrashing Android, please. Based on my impressions of Android 4.3 from the new Nexus 7, it's an outstanding, flexible OS. I definitely prefer it over iOS -- not to mention that it now looks much better, too, compared to the hideous iOS 7!
I think that is total crap. No single Android tablet even comes close to iPad sales numbers. There are gillions of Androids craplets, but none can compete head to head with iPad.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #43
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
They didn't want to complicate it with exotic cats. Now they're naming it after places in California.
Say Mavericks and the first thing I say is Dallas

...as in Dallas, CA
Old 10-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #44
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
No single Android tablet even comes close to iPad sales numbers.
That's a bogus argument, Jack. Of course if Apple is the only manufacturer to produce iPads, the competition will spread over several brands.

That's irrelevant. The overall trend is important: iPads were dominating in the tablet space a couple of years ago, but now they're in the minority already in terms of tablets sold. I don't think Tim Cook will be able to drink that Kool Aid for much longer, in terms of (allegedly!) 85% of iPad share in tablet use. Not when they price iPad mini Retina like a luxury product, while selling a by now completely outdated 2011 tablet (iPad 2) into year 2014 with the full 2012 price. That's mind-boggling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
There are gillions of Androids craplets, but none can compete head to head with iPad.
You gotta be kidding. I'd recommend the new Nexus 7 over iPad mini Retina without hesitation, especially to anyone for whom the price is relevant.

Last edited by Faterson; 10-22-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #45
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Pads were dominating in the tablet space a couple of years ago, but now they're in the minority already in terms of tablets sold.
Android is fragmented among several hardware companies, the fact is that for a single company, Apple is still selling more tablets than any other competitors.

iPad minis sold: around 10 million. Nexus 7 sold: 4.8 million. Clearly, Apple has sold twice minis. So I see no dominance there.

Yeah, the slices of the pie are smaller now. But how many companies are taking a slice? Because Google does not build most of those devices, while Apple does, hence is also making money with the hardware as well, without having to pay licenses and royalties, as Android tablets manufacturers have to, like Asus.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote