Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-06-2007, 07:49 AM   #1
PsychoticSid
PsychoticSid began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Exclamation Opening azw files in mobipocket reader!

When I click a download link for an azw file and choose "open with: mobipocket.reader" instead of "save as", I am able to read it in mobipocket reader. But if I save it to the computer and then try to open it, it won't work.
strange!

http://manybooks.net/titles/tzusun132132.html
make sure you choose kindle in the drop down box for the azw file and after you click download, choose open with instead of save
PsychoticSid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:53 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Change the file extension to ".mobi" or ".prc". It'll open then.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2007, 10:28 AM   #3
JerryEF
JerryEF is on a distinguished road

Device: DellX51v / Amazon Kindle
I tried this with MobiReader 6.1 and it will not open the Kindle book ... something about the book not being from a registered vendor. What version of MobiReader are you using.
JerryEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:30 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Or right click on the file, choose "open with", and select MobiPocket Reader. You may as well make this the default, so that double clicking works from now on. MobiPocket Reader won't read encrypted AZW files, but neither will anything else on your PC.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:30 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryEF View Post
I tried this with MobiReader 6.1 and it will not open the Kindle book ... something about the book not being from a registered vendor. What version of MobiReader are you using.
The ebook you tried has DRM. He got his ebook from www.manybook.com. It had no DRM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2007, 10:32 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryEF View Post
This must have been an encrypted AZW file (from Amazon), which are only readable on your Kindle. AZW files without encryption (e.g. from manybooks.net) are identical to DRM-free MOBI (PRC) files.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:33 AM   #7
PsychoticSid

That's what the strange part is: I can only read the native azw file when I choose to open mobipocket from the "download/open file" box while downloading but I can't when the azw file is already on my computer. If I do an "open with" once the file is on my computer I get the error "This file format is not supported". It only works when firefox asks me what to do with the file and I choose open with mobipocket.
I'm using Mobipocket reader Version : 6.0 Build 580
Old 12-06-2007, 11:45 AM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoticSid View Post
That's what the strange part is: I can only read the native azw file when I choose to open mobipocket from the "download/open file" box while downloading but I can't when the azw file is already on my computer. If I do an "open with" once the file is on my computer I get the error "This file format is not supported". It only works when firefox asks me what to do with the file and I choose open with mobipocket.
I'm using Mobipocket reader Version : 6.0 Build 580
You may want to update your reader. However, it may not fix this problem. What is happening is that command line processing is being done differently from loading a file which is not unusual, by the way. When firefox passes the file it uses a form of [pathname]/mobipocket reader.exe filename.azw to launch the executable and pass in the argument. You could try the same technique from a command windows. The program doesn't check the file extension but just trys to parse the data.

However, when Mobi itself opens the file it inspects the extension to determine the type of file and then shows an error based on internal checking for user mistakes. If the extension is renamed then the open will work fine.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:50 PM   #9
PsychoticSid

Thanks for the good info.
I updated mobipocket but the problem still arose. Guess I'll have to change the extension because the command line technique gave me the same error about the file format not being supported.
Hopefully mobipocket will one day accept the azw extension.
Thanks for clearing this up!