Notices

Old 11-06-2007, 02:40 PM   #1
zephyr
zephyr began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
MP3 random option on PRS-505

hi all,

great place you got here!
because of your reviews i decided to buy the PRS-505 and i'm more then happy.

i do have a question about the ability to randomize the song list on the device.

right now, each time i start the player it just plays the files according to the name.

can i randomize its selection?

thank you in advance!
zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:00 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, zephyr! We're glad you decided to join us.

So far as I know, there isn't any way to change the play order on the Sony Readers aside from changing the file names, as you noted. Unless somebody hacks the thing to the point of figuring out how to build such a feature in, I wouldn't expect it to show up.

I would also share that most of us have found the Reader to be a much better reading device than it is a music player, particularly since using it to play audio cuts into the battery life pretty deeply.

Up to you to decide whether it works for you, of course, but I do my portable audio listening on a dedicated MP3 player. If the Reader played Audible books, I might see it differently, though.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2007, 03:08 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Actually you probably don't need to rename the files, only change the track titles in the media.xml file since I think the reader will use that information to decide playing order.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:15 PM   #4
zephyr
zephyr began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
thanks guys!

i hoped all i'll need is flag some XML field...
but it isn't the case.

i sure noticed about the short battery life when playing music!
and for some reason i hear an annoying hissing in the background - that doesn't happen on other mp3 players.

thanks again for the prompt response.
zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:40 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
for some reason i hear an annoying hissing in the background - that doesn't happen on other mp3 players.
A lot of folks think they'd have done better to leave the audio player out.
Advert
Old 11-06-2007, 04:00 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
and for some reason i hear an annoying hissing in the background - that doesn't happen on other mp3 players.
That's odd. I found the audio on the 500 to be exceptionally clear for both live and studio recordings.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 04:16 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist

It does seem to vary some, several have reported hissings and buzzings, mine is clean, as near as I can tell, but there you go.