Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #1
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
ebook reader for "Secure Palm eReader" books?

Hi, I'm new here.

I have a couple dozen ebooks in the secure Palm eReader format. I read them on a Palm Treo. The files have .pbd extension and you need to enter a credit card number to open them the first time on a device.

I also have a 2nd gen ipod touch which runs Kindle and Nook apps, but I can't seem to find an IOS eReader app for my old books.

A friend lent me a Kindle to use for a while and now I'm interested in a Kindle or Nook (or similar) that can load my old "secure" ebooks. I also want to be able to read ebooks from our public library, they support Kindle format and ePub format. I also have a number of non-DRM'd .prc and .pdb format books, it looks like I can convert these as needed using Calibre.

Will a Nook work for this? Is there an app I can run on the iTouch that I'm missing? Other suggestions? (think low budget please)
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I think the first nook read pdb files, but I'm not certain about the latest ones.

My advice is to wander over to Apprentice Alf's blog and get the DeDRM tools. Then get calibre. And now you can remove the DRM and convert your books to whatever format you want.

Both the tools and calibre and free.

(Removing the DRM may or may not be legal where you live.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert