Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-09-2010, 01:03 AM   #1
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Confused about @free.kindle.com

When I go into my account and manage my Kindle, the only email address I see is @Kindle.com. Is the @free.Kindle.com address outomagically generated from the @Kindle.com address?

I don't see @free.Kindle.com listed anywhere on Amazon.com except under Your Personal Document Charge Limit.

What address should I plug into Calibre?
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:15 AM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Your @free.Kindle.com address is exactly the same as your @kindle.com address except for the addition of free.

For example: if your kindle address is: kin1@kindle.com then your free kindle address would be: kin1@free.Kindle.com

It is a bit confusing I know and I think Amazon could have done this better somehow.

I can't remember if I use my free address or the standard with Calibre. But the essential thing to know is that unless you are receiving documents via 3G - there should be no charge. That said I do limit my Personal Document Limit on the Manage your Kindle page to zero. That way I won't get charged unless I choose to change it.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 01:16 AM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
You have a K3 wi-fi only, right? There is only the @kindle.com email. The @free.kindle.com is for the 3G + Wi-fi model. They pay money to transfer data over 3G wireless by default and the free email address gives them an alternative for Wi-fi transfers. Hope that Helps!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:18 AM   #4
GoversAU
Enthusiast
GoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DXG, Kindle Oasis
I recently plugged the @kindle.com address into Calibre and got charged 99c for each item I sent via 3G. I now use the @free.kindle.com address and download the item to my Kindle via my PC.
GoversAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:19 AM   #5
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Yes, wifi K3 only. I was just trying to understand the free.Kindle.com business. I didn't know if you could set that as a different name than the @kindle.com address. Looks like they're linked.
Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 01:26 AM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I have the K3 wi-fi only model too. I use @kindle.com for my email address with calibre.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:38 AM   #7
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
Yes, wifi K3 only. I was just trying to understand the free.Kindle.com business. I didn't know if you could set that as a different name than the @kindle.com address. Looks like they're linked.
No you can't set them (free email and standard kindle email) with a different name - they are most definitely linked. The name at the start is Amazon's way of identifying which Kindle the data is being sent to. Bearing in mind that some people have more than 1 Kindle.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:13 AM   #8
speedlever
Fanatic

I went to manage my kindle account and have my "name@kindle.com" set.

I added that into Calibre and used my regular email address as the send from address, but get an error message when I run a test. Perhaps I set it up wrong?

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\wizard\send_email.py", line 111, in test_email_settings
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 91, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 83, in sendmail_direct
IOError: Failed to send mail: SMTPServerDisconnected('Connection unexpectedly closed',)

Log:
Find mail exchanger for kindle.com
connect: ('smtp-fw-4101.amazon.com.', 25)
connect: (25, 'smtp-fw-4101.amazon.com.')
reply: '554-smtp-fw-4101.amazon.com\r\n'
reply: '554 SBRS score too low: http://www.senderbase.org/\r\n'
reply: retcode (554); Msg: smtp-fw-4101.amazon.com
SBRS score too low: http://www.senderbase.org/
connect: smtp-fw-4101.amazon.com
send: 'ehlo [192.168.1.108]\r\n'
connect: ('smtp-fw-9101.amazon.com.', 25)
connect: (25, 'smtp-fw-9101.amazon.com.')
reply: '554-smtp-fw-9101.amazon.com\r\n'
reply: '554 SBRS score too low: http://www.senderbase.org/\r\n'
reply: retcode (554); Msg: smtp-fw-9101.amazon.com
connect: smtp-fw-9101.amazon.com
send: 'ehlo [192.168.1.108]\r\n'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 77, in sendmail_direct
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 704, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 528, in ehlo_or_helo_if_needed
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 401, in ehlo
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 358, in getreply
SMTPServerDisconnected: Connection unexpectedly closed
Old 12-09-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
Baldrake
Connoisseur
Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Mozart
You probably already know this, but under the "Manage my Kindle" page at amazon.com, there is a section headed "Your Kindle Approved E-mail List" where you need to add your email address(es). This is a whitelist; everything else is rejected as spam.
Baldrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:27 AM   #10
speedlever
Fanatic

Hmm. I already had my send from address there. Do I need to put my @kindle.com address there too? That strikes me as rather obvious.. but what do I know?
Old 12-09-2010, 12:54 PM   #11
speedlever
Fanatic

I listed my send from email address and my kindle.com email address in the white list and still get those errors.

It has to be something simple.

Edit: If my K3 is not operational yet, those messages will just queue, right?
Old 12-09-2010, 01:06 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I listed my send from email address and my kindle.com email address in the white list and still get those errors.

It has to be something simple.
You might try the Calibre Forum, there was a recent thread where people were having trouble with Calibre communicationg with their smtp server.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=105784

EDIT: Actually, this thread seems to cover your specific issue.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-09-2010 at 01:08 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:17 PM   #13
speedlever
Fanatic

Thanks DD. I do have a gmail account. But I prefer to use my rr.com email. I'm surprised that Amazon thinks this is spam. They certainly don't have any trouble taking my online orders and sending me confirmation of orders, etc. on it.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:47 PM   #14
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
You have a K3 wi-fi only, right? There is only the @kindle.com email. The @free.kindle.com is for the 3G + Wi-fi model. They pay money to transfer data over 3G wireless by default and the free email address gives them an alternative for Wi-fi transfers. Hope that Helps!
Just for info, the @free.kindle.com address does work even if you only have the WiFi K3 (though I know now that it isn't necessary to use it). Before I realised that you only got charged if 3G was used, I was using the @free.kindle.com address to send stuff to my K3 (WiFi only), and it works fine.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote