Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-24-2009, 09:25 PM   #1
Cactusgod
Enthusiast
Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Overwhelmed- Format Question

Hey guys,

Some of you may have seen me over on the "Which One Should I Buy" forum. I've spent the majority of today trying to figure out exactly how all of these ereaders and ebooks work, and didn't realize that it was all so complex.

I think I might go with the PRS-600. My question is: Is there a way to be able to use barnes and noble, and perhaps even amazon, books on the sony reader? Like, are the programs like calibre the stuff everyone uses? I cant seem to find like a straightforward "THIS WILL WORK" type of thread.

Thanks
Cactusgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
You will not be able to use Barnes & Noble or Amazon to purchase books.

Amazon uses a DRM scheme for Mobipocket format books than cannot be read on Sony Readers, unless you wish to remove the DRM then convert the book to a format readable by Sony.

Barnes & Noble will soon be using a epub but their DRM is not readable by Sony Readers.

The Sony will read formats LRF, LRX (sold by Sony), PDF (with and without DRM), Epub (with and without DRM), TXT and RTF. Ebooks for the Sony Reader can be purchased from Sony, Books on Board, Ebooks.com, Powells.com and many others. If you are in the U.S., check to see if your local library supports ebook borrowing.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:00 PM   #3
Cactusgod
Enthusiast
Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

So it is possible to remove the DRM and convert the book...what programs are used for that, with the Sony 600? I want to start learning how to do it, if you wouldn't mind..or it against the rules to say so?
Old 11-24-2009, 10:06 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you own a Kindle 1/2/DX or an iPhone/iPod Touch, then mobidedrm.py can strip the DRM from Kindle AZW ebooks. The Kindle also has a a small percentage of its ebooks in TOPAZ format, which is locked to Kindles. There is now Kindle for PC, so anyone (in the US) can buy Kindle ebooks but currently mobidedrm does not work on K4PC ebooks.

We don't know how easy (or not) it will be to strip the DRM from B&N ePubs. It is possible today to buy eReader ebooks from B&N, and strip their DRM with ereader2html.py.

Once an ebook, of almost any kind, is DRM-free, Calibre can format shift it to LRF or ePub for the PRS-600.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:39 PM   #5
Cactusgod
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
If you own a Kindle 1/2/DX or an iPhone/iPod Touch, then mobidedrm.py can strip the DRM from Kindle AZW ebooks. The Kindle also has a a small percentage of its ebooks in TOPAZ format, which is locked to Kindles. There is now Kindle for PC, so anyone (in the US) can buy Kindle ebooks but currently mobidedrm does not work on K4PC ebooks.

We don't know how easy (or not) it will be to strip the DRM from B&N ePubs. It is possible today to buy eReader ebooks from B&N, and strip their DRM with ereader2html.py.

Once an ebook, of almost any kind, is DRM-free, Calibre can format shift it to LRF or ePub for the PRS-600.
So, ok...here's a question then

Suppose I have no other device besides a computer and a PRS-600. What would be my solution then, to stripping DRM? Let's just use Kindle books for example, since we're unsure exactly how B&N ePubs will work.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:30 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactusgod View Post
Suppose I have no other device besides a computer and a PRS-600. What would be my solution then, to stripping DRM? Let's just use Kindle books for example, since we're unsure exactly how B&N ePubs will work.
Currently you can't buy Kindle ebooks for a PC and read them on the PRS-600. This might change at any time, if someone discovers how to find the PC's AZW PID (decryption key).

You can buy ebooks in MOBI or LIT or eReader format at any ebook store that sells them, strip their DRM (if any), format shift them to ePub or LRF using Calibre, and read them on the PRS-600. You can also buy DRMed ePub and PDF and read them directly on the PRS-600.

Amazon generally has the lowest price and the largest selection, but they are not in the business of selling ebooks to Sony Reader owners. The easiest way to take advantage of the Kindle store is to own a Kindle.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:00 AM   #7
Cactusgod
Enthusiast

Ok awesome, so, one more question, you say strip the DRM. Is there anywhere I could read how this is done?
Old 11-25-2009, 03:13 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactusgod View Post
Ok awesome, so, one more question, you say strip the DRM. Is there anywhere I could read how this is done?
It is against MR policy to provide assistance with DRM removal. A previous poster has given you the name of the tool involved; perhaps a Google search with that name might prove productive.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote