Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 02-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #16
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I think that if I do some opposing viewpoints then no one can accuse me of bias.

There are some books that i wouldn't care to do at all, though. E. g. One of the most heavily downloaded books at the Internet Archive this week is an anti-semitic rant, with the usual conspiracy theory about world domination. It's badly-written, poorly-argued and incoherent. I can't work out why anyone with anything approaching a critical faculty would want to read it.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:32 PM   #17
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
As someone who has only downloaded books from this website, I just appreciate the effort and commitment of those who create the ebooks. I do not attach any particular association between the person who worked and ultimately uploaded the ebook and the book content, unless the person explicitly mentions how they feel about the book. The only impression I have about the folks who generously provide these books is that they (you) must foster a tremendous love of literature and the written word.

I don't think it is necessary to include any kind of statement about the book's content. Anyone who reads much should know that books that were originally written 20, 30, 50, 100+ years ago use different language, styles and orientations than more recently written and published works.

Thanks for all you do.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:36 PM   #18
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
And surely no one will ever publish Agatha Christie's "Ten Little N******"" again. It's been appearing lately as "And Then There Were None."
Isn't this a spolier for the book?

I really do not like that old books are not published under the original title. For me reading an old book is much more then just reading the text. I want to place it in its historical context. And it the title is wrong that becomes impossible.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:43 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Isn't this a spolier for the book?

I really do not like that old books are not published under the original title. For me reading an old book is much more then just reading the text. I want to place it in its historical context. And it the title is wrong that becomes impossible.
It's only a spoiler if you consider that titles like "Murder on the Orient Express" are also a spoiler .

"Ten Little Niggers" (and yes, I am going to use the original title because that's what it was called) has had a slightly unfortunate title history. After that title became "unacceptable" in, I think, the 1960s or 70s, it was republished as "Ten Little Indians". Then that name became "politically incorrect" too, so it was renamed yet again to "And Then There Were None". Let's hope it has more luck with that title, because it's one of Christie's best.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:49 AM   #20
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's only a spoiler if you consider that titles like "Murder on the Orient Express" are also a spoiler .

"Ten Little Niggers" (and yes, I am going to use the original title because that's what it was called) has had a slightly unfortunate title history. After that title became "unacceptable" in, I think, the 1960s or 70s, it was republished as "Ten Little Indians". Then that name became "politically incorrect" too, so it was renamed yet again to "And Then There Were None". Let's hope it has more luck with that title, because it's one of Christie's best.
Oh geez. Sometimes I think that political correctness has its drawbacks, too.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:53 AM   #21
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I think that if I do some opposing viewpoints then no one can accuse me of bias.

There are some books that i wouldn't care to do at all, though. E. g. One of the most heavily downloaded books at the Internet Archive this week is an anti-semitic rant, with the usual conspiracy theory about world domination. It's badly-written, poorly-argued and incoherent. I can't work out why anyone with anything approaching a critical faculty would want to read it.
Well, the books that I do upload are not superficially political, but sometimes there is some stratus of the public mind popping up or open emitting a really bad smell. But I think I will just put a little caution label on if I notice and let people decide for themselves.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:58 AM   #22
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I meant that it refer to what happens in the end and who is the killer.

If a specific version of the text is distributed electronically I think it is wrong to change the title.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:08 AM   #23
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
I meant that it refer to what happens in the end and who is the killer.

If a specific version of the text is distributed electronically I think it is wrong to change the title.
wrong? As long as the title has been used sometime along the way, I see nothing wrong at all in this.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:18 AM   #24
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
wrong? As long as the title has been used sometime along the way, I see nothing wrong at all in this.
I wrote that if you publish a specific edition were the text exactly corresponds to that edition then you should keep the title. I know that people here seems to mix versions when they do an ebook version but I think that is a not optimal thing since that new version cannot be referred to. And if a new version is made by combining several versions of the book then it should have a publishing date or contain information that reflects that.

Unfortunately it seems that Gutenberg does not contain information about what version the text is based on but if a book is proofed against a specific version then I think it should be stated what version it is based on.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:24 AM   #25
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
I wrote that if you publish a specific edition were the text exactly corresponds to that edition then you should keep the title. I know that people here seems to mix versions when they do an ebook version but I think that is a not optimal thing since that new version cannot be referred to. And if a new version is made by combining several versions of the book then it should have a publishing date or contain information that reflects that.

Unfortunately it seems that Gutenberg does not contain information about what version the text is based on but if a book is proofed against a specific version then I think it should be stated what version it is based on.
We use mixed versions because that is the way PG is working. Most of the texts here on MR are taken from PG because it is the biggest and, as far as the proofing is concerned, most reliable online source.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:03 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
When I proof a book against a specific printed version, I do generally say what it is. For my Dickens books, for example, I use my complete set of "Oxford Illustrated Dickens".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:35 AM   #27
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
The whole idea of words being offensive, I find somewhat ironic. The "N" word, as some like to refer to it, was not originally an offensive or derogatory word and, in fact, derived from the same Spanish word for "black". It's just that the people of the time were lazy in their enounciation and mispronounced the word and later it did become a derogatory word, not because of the word itself but because of the attitude of the users of the word.

In a similar way the perfectly good word "Queer", meaning odd or unusual, became derogatory because of the attitude of the people using the word and how they applied it. I regret that so many good words are no longer available for use in their original meanings because of "political correctness".

Another example of "political correctness" vs. "attitude" is the book entitled, "Little Black Sambo". This book was not even about a person of the Negroid race but was about an East Indian boy. But the use became so politically charged that a local restaurant founded by two men named Sam & Bo had to change the name from SamBo's to something less offensive.

As for what our grandchildren may find offensive in todays literature, just think how offended our grandparents would be offended by, what to us is rated PH-13, but to them would be considered too sexually explicit.

Bottom line, IMO is that it is the attitudes of people, not the particular word used that should be critized. I really became aware of how any word should be considered Ok when used in proper context back when I was 30. In a public park, where a dog show was taking place (I was there just enjoy the park), they announced over the loudspeaker, "The showing of the bitches will be at two o'clock." I actually physically cringed because they had used the "B" word on the loudspeakers. Later that day, after careful consideration, I realized that it was a proper usage of the word and made me begin to examine my own attitude and how I used words. I now try to use words properly, whether they are PC or not.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote