Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-12-2016, 06:14 PM   #1
San Zamoyski
Enthusiast
San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kindle 3G
Kindle K3G with mobile capabilities

Hi!

I've been wondering if someone has been working on such thing.

I mean... put local mobile sim card into Kindle Keyboard instead of Amazon's card and use it as basic mobile phone.

I know that there would be many disadvantages of this idea (no vibration - oh, well , less lasting battery), but, as far as i know, there is all hardware in K3 to use it as mobile phone - microphone, speakers, 3g modem.

Even receiving and sending SMS would be cool enught.

If there was no such idea - how do You think, is it possible?

Just wondering... but it would be extremely cool

Best regards!
San Zamoyski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:22 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
No, there is not all the hardware.
The 3G modem/radio in the Kindles are "data channel only" devices, no voice channel support.
Ref: http://m2msupport.net/m2msupport/any...dpa-3g-module/

On the other hand, search and you will find a demonstration of VoIP for the Kindle's.
One of the last things twobob did before he left.
I am pretty sure it was for a K5 (KT) and I don't know if a DX has the horsepower for that application.

Last edited by knc1; 04-12-2016 at 10:35 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:54 AM   #3
San Zamoyski
Enthusiast
San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Quote:
No, there is not all the hardware.
The 3G modem/radio in the Kindles are "data channel only" devices, no voice channel support.
Hypothetically, there is easy way to change this modem (i do even have one somewhere around), but how about the kernel - is there anywhere compilable source? (to add support for specific modem).

Nothing i can see here about SMS. There is a way to test modem if it supports AT commands to send and receive SMS (http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/...m-using-AT-Com, http://www.smssolutions.net/tutorials/gsm/sendsmsat/, http://www.developershome.com/sms/ch...dSupport.asp): AT+CMGF=1

I can not check this at the moment.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:43 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Zamoyski View Post
- - - -
Nothing i can see here about SMS.
- - - -
Written as if you either did not view the link I gave you, or the scroll down button is broken on your browser.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:28 AM   #5
San Zamoyski
Enthusiast

I rechecked it, but still nothing i can see...

edit.
...or understand.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:34 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I rechecked it, but still nothing i can see...

edit.
...or understand.
Yes, it is SMS capable - see the screen shot of the test program.

But note that the carrier may be blocking such use.
They can block by device, by account, query account holders auth-server for a pass/fail indication, ...

The 3G abilities of the Kindles where among the first few dozen posts I made here . . . .
I even, at that time, had an AT&T, m2m, development account for the purpose.

Note: that the search here is limited to the most recent 500 posts.
My other 9,400 posts **might** be found on one of the 'net archiving sites.
Drag spring & summer 2012.

Other notes:
The same communication's protocol that carries VoIP can carry SMSoIP - provided there is a central 'clearing house' or 'switching center' (whichever you prefer to call it).

Which is why: K Net Connect . com exists.
(Which has been 'masked' several years ago for lack of interest.)

Last edited by knc1; 04-13-2016 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:37 AM   #7
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Written as if you either did not view the link I gave you, or the scroll down button is broken on your browser.
The link you posted is about the 3G module that is currently in the device. What if the module were swapped out for a different one that DID allow for voice channel support?
Quote:
Hypothetically, there is easy way to change this modem (i do even have one somewhere around), but how about the kernel - is there anywhere compilable source? (to add support for specific modem).
Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:47 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
The link you posted is about the 3G module that is currently in the device. What if the module were swapped out for a different one that DID allow for voice channel support?

Shari
It is a possibility - I even have some such modem/radio boards for that type of experimentation.

But all the 3G hacking for the Kindles died here due to lack-of-interest 4 years ago.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:21 AM   #9
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Advanced searches can go back farther, but you need to know the keywords. Alternatively, you can search for posts older than a certain amount of time (starting a max of one year back). Rather limited. Here are the four results I found for posts by knc1 older than one year containing "m2m":
Quote:
Dazed and confused. Posted By knc1
That was "modem/radio" because both are on the...

That was "modem/radio" because both are on the same card - in fact, within the same SoC on the card.
It is the only mini-PCIe shaped card in the device.
The Subscriber Information Card (SIM) also...
Quote:
Allowing Kindle Paperwhite to browse internet over 3G Posted By knc1

Ah, but the Kindle isn't a "cell phone" - it is a...

Ah, but the Kindle isn't a "cell phone" - it is a M2M device (radio/modem does not have voice capability) - different rules and 911 does not do IM or e-mail
Quote:
Kindle 3G M2M Posted By knc1

And if your thinking that you will not get caught...

And if your thinking that you will not get caught - sign on here:
https://simcontrolcenter.wireless.att.com/
It is very impressive, the amount of record keeping being done on __every__ SIM in the...
Quote:
Kindle 3G M2M Posted By knc1

Kindle 3G M2M

The Kindle 3G models are not limited to using Amazon's 3G M2M plan (M2M == Machine to Machine).

Paraphrasing from the AT&T FAQ "How do I buy a DataConnect Pass" ::
You will need :
* A device...
If you know better keywords, you may find more results. I have many thousands of posts and PMs here as well, so I know the problem of finding my own posts, and I wish the search function was better.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:54 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

that link to AT&T is still a good one.
once in, you will have access to examples of their (real time) screening controls.

and that thread is about as old as any that I have here.
either that one, or one about the same time has screenshot attachments of the control panel for account controls.

hmm...
my browser seems to have forgotten my user/pass combination for my account there.
but since I haven't used it for over three years. . . . .

99 88

Last edited by knc1; 04-13-2016 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:02 AM   #11
San Zamoyski
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Yes, it is SMS capable - see the screen shot of the test program.

But note that the carrier may be blocking such use.
They can block by device, by account, query account holders auth-server for a pass/fail indication, ...
Ok, so the first thing to check is to change sim card, connect to kindle via ssh and try this (http://www.smssolutions.net/tutorials/gsm/sendsmsat/):

Code:
Sending the message
To send the SMS message, type the following command:
AT+CMGS="+31638740161" <ENTER>
Replace the above phone number with your own cell phone number. The modem will respond with:
>
You can now type the message text and send the message using the <CTRL>-<Z> key combination:
Hello World ! <CTRL-Z>
After some seconds the modem will respond with the message ID of the message, indicating that the message was sent correctly:
+CMGS: 62
The message will arrive on the mobile phone shortly.
And check what happens.

If there is something blocking sending sms, check what can be done with that.

If sms goes out (luckily), try to swich modem to something voice-capable and check (how?) if we can dial some number - well that propably wont work with AT-only commands (further research needed).
Or try to send back message and read it with (http://www.developershome.com/sms/ch...dSupport.asp):
Code:
Receiving SMS Messages and Reading SMS Messages from Message Storage

To find out whether a GSM/GPRS modem or mobile phone supports the receiving and reading of SMS messages through AT commands, you have to:

Use the AT command +CSMS (command name in text: Select Message Service) to check whether mobile-terminated SMS messages are supported.

Perform test operations to check whether +CNMI (command name in text: New Message Indications to TE), +CMGL (command name in text: List Messages) and/or +CMGR (command name in text: Read Message) are supported.

If the GSM/GPRS modem or mobile phone supports the +CNMI AT command, it can send a notification or directly forward the message to the PC whenever a new SMS message arrives.

If the GSM/GPRS modem or mobile phone does not support +CNMI but supports +CMGL and/or +CMGR, the PC has to poll the GSM/GPRS modem or mobile phone repeatedly in order to know if any new SMS messages have arrived.
Correct?
Old 04-13-2016, 10:05 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

The 3G modem appears as a serial device with PPP running on it when it 'on'.
Turn the radio on/off does not have any effect on the Qualcomm SoC or its embedded modem.

It does not have to be 'on' to send/receive AT modem commands.

Keep in mind that the DX (like the K2) does not have any 'rescue' features if you brick it.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:45 AM   #13
San Zamoyski
Enthusiast

Well, i do not get it.
What kind of effect do You expect?
How could it be bricked tht way?

anyway: debricking tool won't work if bricked?

edit.
You scared me.
Really.

I do work on linux since many years, i do work on servers via ssh and generally i know what i can touch and what should i not... but. YOU SCARED ME!
Anyway this instruction is quite clear for me... (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...85&postcount=8)

Last edited by San Zamoyski; 04-13-2016 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:23 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Changing files in the system image to get easy access to the PPP port the software is using can be harmful to your system.

That is the major thing to avoid.

I was writing about modifying / accessing the modem not writing about using ssh.

= = = =

Get one of those AT&T 'developer accounts' as mentioned in the thread of mine that Geekmaster posted a link to above -
and with the account you get a little 'test box' that you can connect to your PC and plug the Kindle's modem into - play to your heart's content without any chance of harm to the DX.

Last edited by knc1; 04-13-2016 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:45 PM   #15
San Zamoyski
Enthusiast

OK, that's fair enough.

I preferably put this gsm modem into my old laptop and try this way, but i'm not getting the point - even if i can send sms or anything from 'other' device, there is still risk that when i put it back, bad things may happen.

I think it is better idea to buy some half-broken motherboard and work on it.

BTW. is it possible to put on reader (e.g. motherboar-only device) working, jailbroken system? i mean - i can buy on allegro (polish eBay) motherboard which hangs from time to time for few bucks and mess around with that, but don't like idea to move delicate screen from one device to another just for reinstalling.

Last edited by San Zamoyski; 04-13-2016 at 12:50 PM.