Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 12-14-2008, 08:13 AM   #1
rleguillow
Always Reading
rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FW 1192, PRS-700, kobo, Rocket, PRS-650, Nook Glow, Kobo Glo, others
Question Title and Author in .doc?

I have a bunch of books in html that I want on my Sony reader. Had a problem with Calibre and Kovid is working on that, but...

in the meantime, I figured there was no reason I couldn't save them as Word documents and load them that way, going through the reader software conversion to .rtf. So I tried with one - the .doc created nicely, easily readable in Word, and imported into the reader software easily.

However, the author is listed as me, rather than the real author.

Does anyone know what to do to a Word document so that when it gets imported into the Sony reader software, the software can find the title and the author? I tried messing with the document properties, but don't find anything there. It seems to be getting the title from the document name.

rleguillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:32 AM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I made a test file in Word. I named the file "Calibre Test.rtf".

In the document properties, I entered "Test of title and author" in "Title" line and "Last name First name" in the "Author" line. Those are what displayed when I imported the RTF document into Calibre.

When you first install Office (or Word, if alone), it asks you to enter your name. And it feeds that to the Author line of every document's properties unless you change it. Perhaps, if that's all that's entered, Calibre uses the filename for the Title, but your name for the Author?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre test - properties.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	19198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre Test - calibre.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	19199  
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:35 AM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Find the Word doc.

Right-click on the file icon. Select "properties", then "summary".

Edit the metadata, so that it appears the way that you want.

Then load it onto the reader.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:45 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Find the Word doc.

Right-click on the file icon. Select "properties", then "summary".

Edit the metadata, so that it appears the way that you want.

Then load it onto the reader.
Or just select "File/Properties" from Word - that does the same thing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:58 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Or use BookCreator Tool v2.0, which is an MS Word template with VBScript code that is designed to optimize and simplify the book creation process.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 03:19 PM   #6
rleguillow
Always Reading
rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Title and Author in Doc?

Well, thanks, everyone but... Maybe I'm using a different version of Windows and/or Word? I'm on Windows Vista, and Word 2007. I did try to edit the properties before putting up the original post, but couldn't do it. And the .doc properties don't even have a "summary" section that I can see.

BUT I'm persistent (read stubborn). You guys all pointed me to the same thing I had been thinking it was, so I kept poking in there, and I finally figured it out. On the DETAILS tab, where the Title and Author (me) are displayed, you don't click on the word Title or the word Author to edit that information. You click to the right of it, and this little box suddenly shows up, and things can be edited. No visible fields, mind you, and the whole thing is greyed out, so it is NOT intuitive. And then when I import it to my library software it comes in with the correct author.

When is Microsoft going to figure out that all their "improvements" aren't improvements at all? Nevermind, if I start that rant we'll still be here tomorrow!

Thanks! Helps to know that I was at least in the right area so I kept trying there instead of looking elsewhere.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:31 PM   #7
rleguillow
Always Reading

And now I've loaded it onto the reader, and it opens just fine (more slowly than the other books in .lrf format that I have, but not ridiculously so) and is perfectly readable.

Works for me!

I'm really new to this reader (PRS-700) having just upgraded from an eBookwise device on 12/11. My gift to me. And this morning, it crashed, big time - I'd plugged it in to charge, and when I unplugged it this morning I could not turn it on no matter what I did. Back to the store I went and swapped it for another. I like it. I didn't like [I]that[I], certainly, but I sure like the device.

And for those who are reading the comments about the screen compared to the 505 - I agree that compared to the 505 it falls short, but compared to the eBookwise device, it way exceeds expectations. Keep in mind what you are coming from before you decide it isn't for you.