Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 05-09-2014, 05:19 PM   #1
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Doesn't save changes

If all the changes are are insertions of a space between run-together words, it does not save them unless some other change is made.

My book has been full of sentencesthatcontinueontogetherwithnospaces in between. I have been spending a lot of time breaking the words up, but it does not save them all the time.

I suspect this is why Sigil inserted non-breaking spaces whether you wanted them or not.

ACK. Dragging words causes a crash. I wrapped words which had no paragraph tags in paragraph tags. I went just below and selected the footnote which had been left out and dragged up then crash!

split 9 line 271

Tried the same thing by deleting space between end of paragraph and footnote, dragged <p> tag to beginning and </p> to after footnote and it did not lock up.

Attaching the document in question.
Attached Files
File Type: epub asi_nwa1.epub (2.70 MB, 194 views)

Last edited by mrmikel; 05-09-2014 at 06:09 PM.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:14 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I cannot replicate either of those things. Inserting only spaces and clicking save saves the changes. And dragging like 271 up down and around causes no crashes for me.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:08 AM   #3
eMole
Zealot
eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch HD, PocketBook Era
This not saving changes happens to me a lot since ages, I thought my system was the culprit (W7 32 bit). But I just got a new machine (W8 64 bit) and the issue remains, just like it is described above. So I edit just a single file, save, exit, reopen and check.
eMole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:48 PM   #4
timberbeast
stumblebum
timberbeast began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2
I hate to jump on the bandwagon, but I am having a 'save' not sticking when I delete an extra image. 'Run check' shows that I have an unreferenced image. OK.

So, I select the extra image in the File Browser, and then right-click and delete it. And immediately save. Then, after quite a few more saves, (major editing), I do the re-check again and the extra image shows back up. And it shows back up in the File Browser.

It seems though, that after a full shut down of editor, the 'save' for the delete of the extra image does stick.

Otherwise, Editor runs beautifully as well as it can be expected on an old Dell P4 machine.

Linux Mint 16 32-bit

larry
timberbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:58 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I need a set of steps and an ebook file that can reliably reproduce the issue. From your descriptions, I'd guess that what is happening is you are reverting to an earlier checkopint, before the operations that are not being saved. And then saving again, which will result in it appearing as though the earlier save did not happen.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:21 PM   #6
eMole
Zealot
eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch HD, PocketBook Era
Bump.

One way to lose edited changes is through spellchecking:

choose 2 misspelled words in a html file, preferably in the same paragraph, run spellcheck, correct one word by hand, don't save, correct the second word through spellchecker's change button, and the first corrected word will revert to the original misspelled one.
eMole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMole View Post
Bump.

One way to lose edited changes is through spellchecking:

choose 2 misspelled words in a html file, preferably in the same paragraph, run spellcheck, correct one word by hand, don't save, correct the second word through spellchecker's change button, and the first corrected word will revert to the original misspelled one.
so that is what is doing that. I had never used a checkpoint revert. I was thinking it was some unwanted side effect of Undo
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:36 PM   #8
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

emole's description is correct. I often use the spellcheck to locate misspelled words by hand, then correct the word and everything around it.

A lot of corrected words get reverted unless I remember to save very often.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:11 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I thought it was just me, so I went back to Sigil's spell checker

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:24 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

That is pretty much by design. If you edit the files in between using the spell checker, hit refresh on the spellchecker. Otherwise, every time you do something with the spell checker it will have to reload all the files, on the chance that something changed, which would make it very slow. Remember that calibre's spell checker, unlike say Sigil's, has to parse the HTML files in order to understand which languages apply to which tags with the lang attribute. It does not do a simple search and replace.

That said, I will look into adding a check that will popup a message telling you to hit refresh when you click change word if some files have been edited since the last time you hit refresh. It never occurred to me that people would want to both keep the spell check dialog open and manually edit files at the same time.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:25 AM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It never occurred to me that people would want to both keep the spell check dialog open and manually edit files at the same time.
Example 'goin gout' should be 'going out', one has to correct 'gout' in CV.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:48 AM   #12
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Example 'goin gout' should be 'going out', one has to correct 'gout' in CV.
The way I work I would see that as being two misspelled words not one and would regard my correcting "gout" in CV as being opportunistic and as being done outside of the spellchecker, so not the spellchecker's responsibility to automatically track the status of. Similarly with other opportunistic corrections, therefore I have not run into the lost spelling corrections issue (well, not as far as I have noticed ).

If nothing else, I have probably just demonstrated that cats are really good at mental gymnastics and that homophones and similar tricky words are just like rats and mice to them, something to be left for hunting fun .

But I do like Kovid's proposal to remind one to do a refresh should one go mousing and ratting into the CV, skirting outside of the running spellchecker, as I often do.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:07 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I have committed code that automatically refreshes when it detects changes outside the spell checker, when you click on change word. Note that the change detection is not 100% robust. It will work if you edit the text manually, but if you run some automated tool like beautify or whatever, all bets are off.

@BR: As AnotherCat says, when I come across word groups that need manual editing I either leave them for the end or hit refresh after editing so that the spell checker is updated before proceeding. I suppose for me that's natural, since I know how the spell checker works internally
Old 07-08-2014, 06:46 AM   #14
mrmikel
Color me gone

This is the exact problem I had in a book with thousands of w ords wi th spaces in them and not predictable, Spell check could catch them, but it couldn't fix them.

Hitting refresh originally or maybe even now in some cases, made it just to the bottom of the list, so I didn't want to refresh. I couldn't quickly tell which words I wanted to leave alone or fix without having to do it all over again. I could put the good words all in the dictionary, but that adds even more work. Maybe a keyboard shortcut for add word to dictionary would be helpful. Go through the list and hit a key and then only the bad stuff would be left.

What you are working on is probably pretty decent text, but what some of us work on is OCRed junk, with hundreds of problems, so putting it off just means you lose your place.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:52 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@mrmikel: That is why you have the option of editing outside the spell check dialog at all. But if you do that, you simply have to remember to hit refresh before using the change word button. Now of course, you dont even need to remember that as the editor will keep track of it for you.