Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #16
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner-reader View Post
LED= macular degenerescence, or something like that. Once they make a non-LED Kindle PW, I'll buy it. I spend enough time at the computer already. This is also why I'll never buy a tablet.
Are you sure you aren't confusing LED with LCD? The Kindle PW is nothing like reading on a computer screen. It is front lit, not backlit.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #17
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Are you sure you aren't confusing LED with LCD? The Kindle PW is nothing like reading on a computer screen. It is front lit, not backlit.
You beat me to it. I agree. Never had a problem using a book light for reading. They are LED lights as well.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
You beat me to it. I agree. Never had a problem using a book light for reading. They are LED lights as well.
As is most of the lighting in my house.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #19
Beginner-reader
Enthusiast
Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
The amount of harm from an LED, like any other lamp, is determined by the built-in protection of the product, in combination with reasonable precautions taken by the viewer. Specific to LEDs, the wider the field of light (i.e. size of the illumination source) and the brighter (higher luminance) of that source, the more potential risk it carries for the retina. Proximity to the light source is also a consideration. One should not, for example, gaze up close into a light box of blue (or even white) LEDs for longer than 100 seconds (the maximum recommendation from the International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection).
I found similar comments on other websites. Anyway, I'm not ready to buy a PW but to each their own, and PW is still much better than LCD.
Beginner-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I found similar comments on other websites. Anyway, I'm not ready to buy a PW but to each their own, and PW is still much better than LCD.
I have to wonder whether you've ever actually seem a front-lit eInk reader? You can't see the light source - the lighting is indirect.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #21
Beginner-reader
Enthusiast
Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have, but I think it also bothers me because I'm very sensitive to light. I taped black paper over the LEDs on my computer and my loudspeakers and I turned off the LED indicator on my external HD. I did this *before* I heard LEDs could be harmful, and even with the smallest of lights. I'm pretty sure even the lowest setting of a PW would be too bright for me.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #22
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't have a front-lit e-reader, but I would probably get one in the future. Only when this one gives up the ghost though.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:54 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I have, but I think it also bothers me because I'm very sensitive to light. I taped black paper over the LEDs on my computer and my loudspeakers and I turned off the LED indicator on my external HD. I did this *before* I heard LEDs could be harmful, and even with the smallest of lights. I'm pretty sure even the lowest setting of a PW would be too bright for me.
How do you manage in daylight, which is tens of thousands of times brighter than the feeble little LEDs you're talking about?
Old 01-30-2013, 11:58 AM   #24
Skillganon
Connoisseur
Skillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony prs 600 and T2
I would not buy one, I usually read in a lighted room or daylight, on the few occasions the room has been too dim (usually on holliday in India) I use a small torch, this was useful with my old PRS600 but less nessesary with my T2. It is just another thing to go wrong
Skillganon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #25
Beginner-reader
Enthusiast

Artificial light isn't the same to me. I couldn't care less if you think that's weird.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #26
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
consumism never stops, does it?

I have now an e-ink reader for outside reading. when in bed, I read on my smartphone
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm waiting for a good front lit reader that is readily available in the US. The i62HD would have been a good one, but it's not available in the US and it's expensive (due to the exchange rate).

Kindle, too many issues to list
Kobo, buggy
nook, ram is divided and thus not all accessible
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #28
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Like JSWolf, I'm also waiting until I find a reader where I'm not giving up other features I love for the light, I don't see any sense to that. I suspect once I find one though, I'll be like others here and never want to go back, even though the Sony lighted cover works perfectly fine for me. But to not have to deal with battery worries or the extra bulk for the light would be nice, but still not at the expense of not being able to change to any font I want or how the Sony easily handles collections and other little features I'm spoiled by.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #29
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I'm delighted with my Paperwhite. I compared it to my K3, and the k3 display just looks dirty compared to the PW, even with the cover light on.

Would I ever buy a non-lighted eink reader? depends on my finances and the purpose to which I would need to buy one. Seems to me the cost of my son's K4NT and its lighted cover just about equal the price of the paperwhite, though.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #30
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I love my Paperwhite, and won't go back to a non-lit eink reader. I've given away my K3 and Touch.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote