Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #16
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
What, Naptown?
Metamucilville.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #17
Anabana
Zealot
Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire 7" & 10"; 11"(?)-12" Lenovo laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Well I think it's because .......arrrrgggguuuuuhhh.
R.I.P. Kenny!
Anabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:29 AM   #18
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I'm going to put this out there. Just try to imagine it.

There is no death of e-readers.

Too radical for all you grimm reapers?

Last edited by Geralt; 01-28-2013 at 05:25 AM.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #19
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucarda View Post
I'm going to put this out there. Just try to imagine it.

There is no death of e-readers.

Too radical for all you grimm reapers?
Spoilsport.
It's mid-winter, sports season is still weeks away, and if we don't have those clueless reports to roast we'd be stuck trying to figure out who'd be stupid enough to give US$75 million to Michael Bourn.

Or worse, agreeing that DRM is evil, yet again.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #20
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
By my part, I wouldn't buy another 6" ereader like the ones currently sold, because

1) what an eco-savvy choice would it be, if we buy a new one before my old one stops working?

2) currently sold ereaders are a too weak improvement over my 2011 device

3) the big amoled display of my smartphone works very fine for reading, with its low light emission with black background (much better than any LCD, Retinas included). So it almost completely replaced my e-ink, for evening and bus/underground readings

Edit: the following picture shows my setting for reading in complete darkness and

Last edited by lorenzoens; 01-28-2013 at 03:08 PM.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #21
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
oh, man. Is the text really that green? I couldn't read on that...
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #22
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Leaving the fact aside that I prefer eink over any led, sometimes I have to look things up when the device currently available is my phone. Since the days I started to use IRC was always looking for the most comfortable long term legibility setup
In regard of your screenshot: have experimented with subtle green tones too, but found them too darkish.

You might be interested in trying color B89000 (R: 185; G: 128; B:00)
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #23
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #24
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
It's not easy reading green.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #25
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
It's not easy reading green.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #26
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My Gosh. You guys are judging on a snapshot that you're visualizing thru your lcd monitor. The setting you see is intended to read in complete dark.

With apps like FBReader or CoolReader you change color in three seconds and the brightness with a simple slide up/down. When I'm on a bus or in the underground I use white fonts.

For those who don't know: in amoled diplays the 'black' = diodes turned off, this means that you have (almost) no light emitted from the background.

Last edited by lorenzoens; 01-28-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #27
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All we have to go on is the picture you posted. You could have simply said it looked better in actual use.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #28
lorenzoens
ex se ens

No QI, I don't mean this.

I'm talking about how comfortable is reading with that display, but I can only invite you to try it by yourself as soon as you can have a good amoled display like that in your hands. How else can you experience that low backlighting from your laptop/pc/tablet lcd? No way.

Unfortunately there's only a couple of tablets (Toshibas and Samsung 7.7") with amoleds out there, since they cost too much.

But before summer, Youm displays (foldable amoleds) will be out. They may give another cut to e-ink readers sellings. If you'll already have a 5" smartphone with an amoled display in your pockets, you will be less likely to buy a 6" e-ink, especially a new one, if you already have one from 2011 or 2010 = market stagnation

Last edited by lorenzoens; 01-28-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #29
QuantumIguana
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
No QI, I don't mean this.

I'm talking about how comfortable is reading with that display, but I can only invite you to try it by yourself as soon as you can have a good amoled display like that in your hands. How else can you experience that low backlighting from your laptop/pc/tablet lcd? No way.
In other words, "it looked better in actual use."

Quote:
If you'll already have a 5" smartphone with an amoled display in your pockets, you will be less likely to buy a 6" e-ink, especially a new one, if you already have one from 2011 or 2010 = market stagnation
Perhaps. But I'll wait and see for myself.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #30
lorenzoens
ex se ens

'Better' means nothing, i tried to give a focused contribution to the topic of this thread.

While you 'see by yourself', allow me to remember you, that there are several millions of people who bought a Galaxy S3 / Note / Note 2 with a big amoled display capable of doing what I just showed. And the new fooldable (shockproof) amoleds...

Long story short: lots of people who are likely to find redundant to buy a new 6" e-ink, even if they already are used to e-inks. Me included.