Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #16
jswinden
Nameless Being

I basically agree with @HistoryWes in that I prefer my iPad3 over the iPad4 due to the change in port connector. As far as being upset because they updated the iPad3 to iPad4 way before the year was up, I'm not upset too much but I've got two concerns if they were to go to a 6 month release cycle rather than sticking with the 12 month cycle.
  • Earlier Resale Value Drop: Whenever a product is updated the older version(s) drop in resale value. If they double the number of new updates over the same period in which you normally upgrade, then I think your resale value will take a huge hit. For example, if I would normally think about upgrading my iPad3 after two years to an iPad5 but found instead that in that two year time the newest was actually an iPad7, my resale value would be severally degraded. People are less likely to buy a version that is four upgrades behind the latest version as opposed to one that is only two upgrades behind.
  • Earlier Obsolescence: Apple periodically stops supporting older models with new iOS updates, effectively putting them on the fast track to obsolescence. If Apple doubled the number of model upgrades over time it seems reasonable to assume your model will become obsolete twice as fast because it would soon be left without iOS updates.

Last edited by jswinden; 01-02-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #17
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I can't believe no one's posted this yet. I've been hearing this for several days now.

RUMOR: A lighter, thinner iPad and an iPad Mini with a Retina display to be released in March 2013.
A rumor that startet with Digitimes in mid november.. I would trust that as much as what my mail man told me..

It made sense for Apple to introduce the iPad 4 early. Future iOS releases are a good sales argument since they always come out in the fall, holiday sales are important, and introducing the lightning connector on all units at the same time made excellent sense. No need to stray from the successfull annual update scheme otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
According to the aforementioned blog, Apple's reasoning appears to be that they needed a quicker cycle to compete with the Nexus 7 and Microsoft's Surface. The Nexus may be a threat, but from what I've seen, the Surface seems to be underwhelming users and reviewers alike.
Apple owns the market, they don't have much to be scared of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
If they go to 6 month refresh cycles, I am out.
Why? Does your iPad stop functioning after 6 months?

Last edited by David Munch; 01-02-2013 at 03:07 PM.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #18
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Heard about an iPhone6 today along with the watch gadget.

And possibly iOS7 ??
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #19
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Heard about an iPhone6 today along with the watch gadget.

And possibly iOS7 ??
AAAARRRRRgggggghhhhhh!

I'm still running 5.1.

Wired.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I'm waiting for a larger iPhone. The current ones are too small.

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #21
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
I think the only reason the iPad 4 was released this past fall was because of the new connector. For people who buy iPhone 5 and iPad--they aren't going to be happy about having 2 different connectors. So they had to put an update out so that everything has the same connector.

I'm hoping for a March release of iPad mini with retina display. I'll buy one even if the price stays the same, but I'd probably still keep my iPad 3. No compelling reason to upgrade it, and I'm stuck with the old connector on my iPhone 4s anyway.

Once Marvin App gets auto-scroll I am going to want to kick my Nexus 7 to the curb, but I REALLY would prefer a better screen on the iPad mini before I do that.

And if Apple does go to a 6 month release cycle... it doesn't bother me a bit. The stuff holds its value very well, and it gives you more opportunities to upgrade, if you choose to. I don't mind trading up if I can get back 70% of my investment on the older model. How many tech items can you say that about?
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:43 PM   #22
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
There was quite a backslash when the ipad 4 was announced, as folks found themselves with an obsolete (in their minds) device after only a few months. Might change people's buying patterns if they change to a 6 month cycle; people might actually hold out buying, delaying until the next one comes along as 6 months is not that long of a cycle.
obsolete? maybe yes on paper, but not much is different between these iPads!

I think they are wise to keep ahead like this, good on them
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:24 AM   #23
Daniel Jones
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeky1 View Post
They need to slow it down.
Hey Cheeky1
Sure the products of Apple are much better than others in the market but now they need to gain pace and offer more devices in the market, as now the number of available options matter to users while picking up devices.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:52 AM   #24
Mystweaver
Nameless Being

I adore Apple and have an iPhone 5 and a MacBook Pro w. retina display (and have recently gifted an iPad 3 and an iPad Mini to others), but I'm rolling my eyes at the potential release of an iPad 5 and iPad Mini 2 so soon. Apple seem to be over-saturating their own market...
Old 01-10-2013, 05:54 AM   #25
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
iPad Mini 2 can't arrive soon enough because many people are not buying iPad Mini now due to its mediocre screen.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:54 AM   #26
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
It annoys me, the faster release cycle, because I see it as an attempt to make me buy more stuff. I can resist the pressure but it is there, even if my current iPad (is it a 3? I'm losing track but I think it's a 3) is working perfectly.

Plus the planned obsolescence, as jswinden says, is bound to accelerate.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #27
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
iPad Mini 2 can't arrive soon enough because many people are not buying iPad Mini now due to its mediocre screen.
There are a good deal of people on forums I frequent dumping retina display and not missing it for mini form factor.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #28
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
There are a good deal of people on forums I frequent dumping retina display and not missing it for mini form factor.
And those will probably be the first in line when the mini the retina is announced...
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
If they go to 6 month refresh cycles, I am out.
Why? Nobody forcing you to buy every new Apple product - if you're happy with what you've got, stick with it. I'm still use my two and a half year-old iPhone, because it does exactly what I want.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #30
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'm still using my 1st generation iPad, which I was happy with until about a month ago when the developers of several of my apps decided they weren't going to update their apps to run on anything less than iOS 6. iOS 6 doesn't work on the first generation iPad.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote