Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Which eBook Reader App?

In the coming days I'll be getting a new Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus. I've done some research into ebook reading apps and there are hordes of them out there.

I'd like to get some recommendations to narrow them down to a couple I should try. My requirements would be :
- Ability to take notes/make highlights
- Integrated dictionary
- Support ePub and the occasional PDF file

Any suggestions?
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
In the coming days I'll be getting a new Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus. I've done some research into ebook reading apps and there are hordes of them out there.

I'd like to get some recommendations to narrow them down to a couple I should try. My requirements would be :
- Ability to take notes/make highlights
- Integrated dictionary
- Support ePub and the occasional PDF file

Any suggestions?
Mantano is the only one I can think of that has a check on all your requirements.

I like Mantano it's a pretty good reader, but my reader of choice is Moon+ it has a better TTS engine and has the ability to enlarge images/charts. Also it's exporting of notes is easier than Mantano. Moon does not support PDF but does support other formats

Both of these eReaders integrate with a third party dictionary called ColorDict.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Mantano is the only one I can think of that has a check on all your requirements.

I like Mantano it's a pretty good reader, but my reader of choice is Moon+ it has a better TTS engine and has the ability to enlarge images/charts. Also it's exporting of notes is easier than Mantano. Moon does not support PDF but does support other formats

Both of these eReaders integrate with a third party dictionary called ColorDict.
Thanks. The PDF support is a minor issue since they would be the exception rather than the rule.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
Crusader
Space Cadet

I got my tablet today and spent most of the afternoon playing around and installing different reading apps. I must admit that I like the look and feel of Mantano more than the others I've tried.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:09 AM   #5
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
I like Mantano also, but I have a question. Is there a setting to NOT right justify text? I much prefer a slightly ragged right margin to numerous hyphenated words at the end of lines. I've even seen where the last word on a screen is hyphenated, with the end of the word on the next screen. I find that very distracting, and would much prefer a ragged right margin. But I haven't found a setting for this. Am I overlooking it somehow?

Thanks.
SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:38 AM   #6
Crusader
Space Cadet

Can't say that I've noticed a setting like that. The ebooks I've read so far weren't justified. One thing I did notice is that Mantano doesn't seem to remember the last page read, which is a bit disappointing.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
Crusader
Space Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
I like Mantano also, but I have a question. Is there a setting to NOT right justify text? I much prefer a slightly ragged right margin to numerous hyphenated words at the end of lines. I've even seen where the last word on a screen is hyphenated, with the end of the word on the next screen. I find that very distracting, and would much prefer a ragged right margin. But I haven't found a setting for this. Am I overlooking it somehow?

Thanks.
SteveK
After a second look I think you might be able to change it if you go to Themes > Edit default and then play around with the settings.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:46 AM   #8
Nick Johnson
Nick Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: googgle ads
Top 5 eBook Reader Apps for Android Phones/Tablets:-

1. Kindle
2. Google Books
3. NOOK for Android by B&N
4. Aldiko Book Reader
5. Kobo eBooks

U can choose from these options...
Nick Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:47 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
One thing I did notice is that Mantano doesn't seem to remember the last page read, which is a bit disappointing.
That's a catastrophic shortcoming. I couldn't use a reader that didn't remember where I was in the book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:57 AM   #10
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's a catastrophic shortcoming. I couldn't use a reader that didn't remember where I was in the book.
?? It certainly does. Also over several books.
BTW, even better, in android you can tap a free place on the desktop and make a shortcut to a book in Mantano; very easy to give your current book(s) their own temporary icon and jump to where you were reading straight away.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:13 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dura View Post
?? It certainly does. Also over several books.
BTW, even better, in android you can tap a free place on the desktop and make a shortcut to a book in Mantano; very easy to give your current book(s) their own temporary icon and jump to where you were reading straight away.
Glad to hear it. Thanks for putting that right. I'll take a look at Mantano.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:07 AM   #12
wgrimm
Addict
wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
[QUOTE=Crusader;2073885]In the coming days I'll be getting a new Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus. I've done some research into ebook reading apps and there are hordes of them out there. /QUOTE

I have done extensive searching and testing, and the two readers I like best are Mantano and ezpdf pro. Both display pdf well, mantano does epub too. There are some crappy pdf readers out there. Ones I found that made pdf a hassle- adobe, repligo (too bad because I purchased their windows software and like it), bluefire, aldiko. They made reading pdf a chore because the pages in most of these products will not remain still as you read. One touch of the finger and they jump all over the place.

Also, mantano will read large pdf's well.

My take on all of this- reading was easier on my ipad than on android, and I am buying another ipad.
wgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Reading PDFs is much easier on the iPad, I agree. Hard to beat iPad + Goodreader for reading and annotating PDFs. But I find the Tab to be very good for reading fiction.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #14
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgrimm View Post
I have done extensive searching and testing, and the two readers I like best are Mantano and ezpdf pro. Both display pdf well, mantano does epub too.

Also, mantano will read large pdf's well.

My take on all of this- reading was easier on my ipad than on android, and I am buying another ipad.
What size tablet are you reading on? My experience with reading on both the iPad and Transformer was similar. Well actually the transformer was better but that was because I was using ezPDF vs iPads stock PDF reader(I'm assuming a good PDF reader would give the same experience).
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #15
Crusader
Space Cadet

I'm very happy with Montano. There was a bug where it didn't remember the last page read, but that was sorted. My 7" tab is a bit small for reading PDFs though since the text tends to be small (and the specific file doesn't seem to allow for reflow).