Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
drimpossible
drimpossible began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
KF8 Metadata

Hi,
I have a project whereby I'd like to look at the metadata of a KF8 book, to uniquely identify a unique identifier for the Name and edition of the book, such as the ISBN number, and the last position read.

Something like:
ISBN-10: 0140449264

To be clear, I don't want to edit the metadata. I just want to look at it. I would also like to be able to get this information, even if the DRM,

My questions are
1) Is there a unique edition identifier in the metadata, I can use to look up the book?
2) Is it simple to identify the name and location within the metadata, e.g.; with XML-like tags?
3) Is the metadata encrypted?
4) Does Amazon tend to change formats of metadata frequently or seem to care about making metadata formats consistent & transparent?

Any help appreciated,
Thanks
drimpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
First off... the "Last Position/Location Read" isn't maintained in the the ebook's metadata (or in the ebook file at all) so you might as well forget about that part. That's a function of the eReader (Kindle).

1) If it's a KF8 ebook purchased from Amazon, it should have an ISBN and/or an ASIN number.
2) It's just as simple as getting that exact same metadata from a MOBI file (in other words, no, probably not simple - depending on your level of expertise).
3) No.
4) No (not the pieces you're looking for anyway) — and — No... they don't care about that at all.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-07-2012 at 07:23 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
drimpossible

OK, thanks.
The reason I was confused was that I had a look at the existing azw files and their accompanying mpb files and in some cases, but not all, there was a location marker in the mbp file.
So if the location is stored somehow in the eReader, presumably there must be a way that this is communicated to amazon when I sync?
So, I wonder if there is another way to get the location & ASIN directly from the eReader through an API?
Old 03-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by drimpossible View Post
OK, thanks.
The reason I was confused was that I had a look at the existing azw files and their accompanying mpb files and in some cases, but not all, there was a location marker in the mbp file.
So if the location is stored somehow in the eReader, presumably there must be a way that this is communicated to amazon when I sync?
So, I wonder if there is another way to get the location & ASIN directly from the eReader through an API?
Yes, the location/furthest read location is still stored in the companion mbp file.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
drimpossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Yes, the location/furthest read location is still stored in the companion mbp file.
Even in kf8?
OK, thanks.
I saw a mbp reader app in Perl on the web. I'll use that as my starting point.
Thanks again