Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 08-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
smallhagrid
Hillbilly
smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: EZReader
Thumbs down Mentor arrived today, and...

Nice looking, bigger than the JB was, but very light in the hand - seeing a battery door is also very encouraging after the non-replaceable battery JB.

So I pressed the power button.
(I admit I was spoiled by getting a 100% FULLY CHARGED Augen TheBook...)
Nifty grayscale display....nice enough title page...and sloooowly it arrived at the menu page....and....and....and....nothing works.

Battery indicator says 1/2 full, so I try to power it off...won't do it.
It's too early to be needing the reset button, but there it went - reset - tried one more time - same exact deal.

OK, looked at the book - website - they say to charge it 12 hours out of the box, so on the charger it goes.

Funky charge LED.
Started out alternating red/green rapidly - then to solid yellowish.
I'm guessing it'll go green when charged, but I'll see what it is doing after I sleep....hoping very much I did not get one of the defective-out-of-the-box ones I saw in the reviews !!!

Speaking of which it is very interesting how the reviews seem to be mostly glowing - or horrible, with very little middle ground.

There were 3 kinds of readers for $99 at Newegg - and I considered this one vs. the Foxit eSlick until I saw it is discontinued and the company is getting out of readers (and it has the WORST warranty I've seen).

So I took a chance on this one and I sure hope I will not be sorry I bought it and have to return it after all.

BTW:
I see the FW for the Cooler Reader is suggested for it and that their instructions are the ones which actually work too - so they must be the same unit from the same source being sold with different firmware and paint jobs.
(That makes me wonder if a person could just get this reader from the actual Asian maker of it for much less money somehow with the correct info in hand ?)

Well, that's all for now - I'll likely post more after it has had it's required 12 hour charging session.

I sure dislike feeling let-down right from the start though.

mark

Last edited by smallhagrid; 08-12-2010 at 06:49 PM.
smallhagrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
don't feel bad - i had to charge my cybook when i got it, and it's been great for me ever since
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
A Initial charge is pretty much standard for any device with rechargable batteries.
Smart charge devices take a few charge cycles to "calibrate"
Failurre to follow the initial charge routine can result in a confused charg level indicator
12Hours is an "over charge" time. The trickle tops off the battery after the initial "full" indicator pop up.

It may take 3 or 4 of these long charges to settle down. Do not confuse your device, follow the directions.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
smallhagrid
Hillbilly
smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

OK, better now somewhat - after one verrrrry loooong charge time - and it still says 1/2 charged even after a 14 hour charge...?
But it does work, and now I shall endeavor to enjoy it.
That must have been one seriously dead battery I guess.
The LED never did go green, and if I plug it in again it now goes solid red - and this all makes me think the LED color/state is really sort of meaningless...?

mark
Old 08-13-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
I have also noted that the color depends on whether you look straight into the little hole, or from an off angle.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It generally takes a couple of charge/discharge cycles to properly calibrate the power gauge on any eBook reader. I'd suggest using it now until you get a "flat battery" warning, then fully charging it, and using that again until it's flat.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
I have also noted that the color depends on whether you look straight into the little hole, or from an off angle.
She has a Mentor, not a PEz.
Common as fleas, R-G,R+G, Tri-state LED in the charge /power circuit is probably one of the few in-common features they have.

Initial battery charges take WAY longer than they will after the initial conditioning.Thes is a Battery thing, not a reader thing.
Break the battery in properly, and it will give outstanding service. Short charge, and
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:44 PM   #8
smallhagrid
Hillbilly

Thanks for all the helpful info !
Noted, will do, and hope to become quite addicted to this reader...

mark
Old 08-15-2010, 09:11 AM   #9
smallhagrid
Hillbilly

Out of the box this is a disappointing unit.

As I posted elsewhere:
Quote:
No matter which file type it opens ONLY to the menu and does not even try to return to the open book.
Nasty. Very Nasty.

Starts VERRRRRY slowly-> MUST then display the ridiculous, useless grayscale animation-> stops at the 'Green Book' logo for too long-> and only THEN finally gets to the main menu.
A mere 5 or 6 more selections and I am FINALLY at my book. Woof.
Nice device.....Rotten software.
I will be posting a comparison/review based upon my experiences with 3 readers very soon.
But first I will be installing the 'Cooler Reader' firmware I've downloaded.
No way do I wish to try Astak's firmware unless it is somehow magically ALOT better...?

Best Wishes.

mark
Old 08-15-2010, 11:05 AM   #10
o0-0o
Enthusiast
o0-0o doesn't littero0-0o doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 301+
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallhagrid View Post
Nice looking, bigger than the JB was, but very light in the hand - seeing a battery door is also very encouraging after the non-replaceable battery JB.

So I pressed the power button.
(I admit I was spoiled by getting a 100% FULLY CHARGED Augen TheBook...)
Nifty grayscale display....nice enough title page...and sloooowly it arrived at the menu page....and....and....and....nothing works.

Battery indicator says 1/2 full, so I try to power it off...won't do it.
It's too early to be needing the reset button, but there it went - reset - tried one more time - same exact deal.

OK, looked at the book - website - they say to charge it 12 hours out of the box, so on the charger it goes.

Funky charge LED.
Started out alternating red/green rapidly - then to solid yellowish.
I'm guessing it'll go green when charged, but I'll see what it is doing after I sleep....hoping very much I did not get one of the defective-out-of-the-box ones I saw in the reviews !!!

Speaking of which it is very interesting how the reviews seem to be mostly glowing - or horrible, with very little middle ground.

There were 3 kinds of readers for $99 at Newegg - and I considered this one vs. the Foxit eSlick until I saw it is discontinued and the company is getting out of readers (and it has the WORST warranty I've seen).

So I took a chance on this one and I sure hope I will not be sorry I bought it and have to return it after all.

BTW:
I see the FW for the Cooler Reader is suggested for it and that their instructions are the ones which actually work too - so they must be the same unit from the same source being sold with different firmware and paint jobs.
(That makes me wonder if a person could just get this reader from the actual Asian maker of it for much less money somehow with the correct info in hand ?)

Well, that's all for now - I'll likely post more after it has had it's required 12 hour charging session.

I sure dislike feeling let-down right from the start though.

mark
I just got mine last Thursday. It came with completed dead battery. I can not even turn the device on. I charged it fully and it worked then.
o0-0o is offline   Reply With Quote