Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-19-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
My K1 has hung/frozen 3 times in last 2 weeks...should I start looking 4 replacement?

My K1 is almost exactly 2 years old. I didn't have any problems with it until the last couple months. In May, my charger stopped working so had to get a new charger...no big deal. Now, I've had 3 complete freezes where I had to use the reset button over the last 2 weeks...2 of them last night alone. Last weekend I had one freeze but seemed fine after that ... read 2 or 3 more books over the week including a somewhat lengthy one. Then last night I was reading another book and it froze twice...once somewhat early on...maybe less than 1/3 of the way thru and again in the last 1/3 of the book. Required use of the reset button both times. Have to say I'm a little concerned. Is there any real troubleshooting I can do?
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
The K1 had problems with big/long books - esp. non-Amazon titles - multi-volume or compilations if I remember arightly.

For troubleshooting:
1. Do you freeze on the same book(s)?
2. If so, are these Amazon books or from other sites?
3. If Amazon books, you can probably contact Customer Service and download new copies - in case you have a corrupted copy.
4. If non-Amazon books, download a "fresh" copy and see if the freezes continue.
5. If these are large, non-Amazon books, can you split the files (using calibre) into a smaller size?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

1. It was 2 different books. I'm not sure I remember what the first one was though I remember the one last night.
2. The 1st one...not sure...the 2nd one from last night was absolutely an Amazon book (though drm has been removed so it has a .mobi extension rather than .azw)
3. Hmm....the book did read all the way through. I was able to finish it.
4. n/a
5. They weren't "that" long. The longest book I read recently (Angels and Demons) read fine all the way through. The book last night was much shorter, maybe half as long. So if the problem is long books I would have expected the problem to occur on Angels and Demons instead?

I'll have to look at dates if I have any .mbp files remaining after the resets to try to recall for sure what the first title was that hung, but it was not a long book if I remember. I've read several lately that take less than 3 hours or so to read, so not really long.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
You may want to contact Kindle Customer service about this problem - see if they have any diagnostics they can talk you through over the phone.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/conta...kip=true#csTop
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
texasnightowl
Guru

Well, haven't contacted CS yet...read another entire book last night with no problem. So I'll just have to keep track of how often this happens and go from there. Gives me time to decide in future if I want to stick with a 6" screen that fits in purse well or go for a 9".
Advert