Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-15-2010, 10:27 PM   #1
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hiding books on your Sony reader

Are there any ways to hide books in the event you show someone your reader, but don't want them to see certain titles?

The two obvious options are:
1. store those books on an SD card (but if you normally keep the card in, it would look a little odd to be yanking it out before letting a friend check out your reader)

2. rename the titles in the metadata (if you have a more than a couple of books that you'd like hidden, you might lose track of which is which, though I suppose you could store an index as a note in one of the books or as a text memo)

Any other options?
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:32 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I suppose you could have the books you want to hide (if it's just some specific titles) into their own collection and just don't go into that collection when showing your reader.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2010, 10:37 PM   #3
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I suppose you could have the books you want to hide (if it's just some specific titles) into their own collection and just don't go into that collection when showing your reader.
Good point. I suppose that's the simplest and most convenient solution - just label the collection something boring sounding, like technical manuals. Risky if you let them handle the reader, as they might click on that collection, or just see the titles in the Books list.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:39 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Or don't put them in any collections when showing the collections.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:47 PM   #5
flyash
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Or don't put them in any collections when showing the collections.
Yeah, but that makes accessing them yourself more of a pain.

I like the collections idea, and I can name it something boring that starts with a letter near the end of the alphabet so that it gets moved off the first page of collections (assuming you have more than 10 collections).
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
What are you reading that's so shameful? :P

Your first option with the SD card is the way to go.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:17 AM   #7
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Use the SD card. So you can physically remove the books you don't want to show.

Otherwise, make a collection named "hidden books".
(sorry, couldn't resist this one )
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:33 AM   #8
flyash
Groupie

If I go the SD card route, will I lose my bookmarks for books on the SD card when I pull the card out?
Old 06-17-2010, 03:19 AM   #9
hnoto
Groupie
hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS 505
You shouldn't lose any bookmarks. However, from my experience, using an SD card CAN be a bit chancy. Be sure to have your reader on when you pull the card out/put it in and give the reader plenty of time to process the fact that you've moved it.

The other option is to be sure before handing your reader over that it is open to a non-controversial text/collection. Or be careful who you show off to.
hnoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:19 AM   #10
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I'm not quite sure, but I think you don't lose anything. I had this with collections when I had books on SD-Card. Pop out the card, books don't appear in a collection, pop it back in, the collections showed the appropriate books.
Maybe the bookmarks are stored within the file(?) like the "collection tags".
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:11 AM   #11
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
I'm not quite sure, but I think you don't lose anything. I had this with collections when I had books on SD-Card. Pop out the card, books don't appear in a collection, pop it back in, the collections showed the appropriate books.
Maybe the bookmarks are stored within the file(?) like the "collection tags".
I agree that the best move is to store the ebooks you want to hide on an SD card. That way, there is no way for someone to view ebooks that you may not want them to see (such as stories that you may be writing that are not ready to be shared with others). Other methods don't actually prevent people from viewing ebooks you don't want them to see.

As far as collections go, I use collections to control where my ebooks are stored. Some collections are stored on my ereader's internal memory and others I store on my SD card. What I don't do is split collections between the two locations, each collection is either completely in my ereader's internal memory or completely on the SD card.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:30 AM   #12
flyash
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
As far as collections go, I use collections to control where my ebooks are stored. Some collections are stored on my ereader's internal memory and others I store on my SD card. What I don't do is split collections between the two locations, each collection is either completely in my ereader's internal memory or completely on the SD card.
What's your rationale for this?
Old 06-18-2010, 12:43 AM   #13
AgentBEATS
Connoisseur
AgentBEATS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nintendo DS, HTC Desire
Another thing you could do is simply bury it in content.

If you say have one book that you do not want someone to view, simply cover it up with a thousand more.

Of course this would first mean naming it something nondescript. But if you have one file within thousands of others, the probability of someone using your reader and finding it are very low. Of course there is still a chance they will, but so goes any actually way hiding something. As long as it is there, there is probably a way to find it. Which is why storing them on a SD card and removing it whenever is probably the safest, although removing it can be somewhat of a hassle.

Although I don't think I would ever have a need to hide anything on my reader, I do get the appeal of having the option.To me it is the same as having the ability to lock the device, just with hiding a specific file.
AgentBEATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:54 AM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyash View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
What's your rationale for this?
If you put items from one collection (let's call the collection Urban Fantasy) on the SD card and in internal memory you get two identically named collections. Urban Fantasy would be listed twice under collections. One collection would have items from the SD card the other collection would have items from internal memory.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:21 AM   #15
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnoto View Post
Be sure to have your reader on when you pull the card out/put it in and give the reader plenty of time to process the fact that you've moved it.
You mean "be sure to have your reader off when you pull the card out", right?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote