Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-17-2010, 05:19 PM   #31
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I think someone from B&N must be watching this forum to glean what is still making FW customers happy... and then killing it.
In that case I *love* the super ridiculous high-pricing with no more micropay rebates. Why charge $25 for a book that amazon sells for $9.99? You should charge $40!

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:53 PM   #32
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I'm still looking for a new ebook webshop, where I can actually buy books...
www.ezread.com
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 06:19 PM   #33
BVLarson
Author
BVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
I bet this is related to BN opening up with Pubit, their new version of Amazons.DTP. Since Pubit is about to launch, the closing of Fictionwise is very coincidental...
BVLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:09 PM   #34
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
Does anyone else read that stupid name as "Pube It" or is it just me?

cap

Last edited by capidamonte; 06-18-2010 at 04:24 AM.
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:26 PM   #35
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVLarson View Post
I bet this is related to BN opening up with Pubit, their new version of Amazons.DTP. Since Pubit is about to launch, the closing of Fictionwise is very coincidental...
You could be right, although FW's Multiformat services are a lot different than something like DTP or PubIt.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 10:37 PM   #36
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Gee, a big corporation killing off a successful small one? Yeah, like that's never happened before. *rolls eyes* Well, bye, bye fictionwise. It was nice knowing you. Heck, maybe if the guys at Fictionwise are smart, they'll all jump ship and start their own competing service. I've seen plenty of others do that before. And besides, if B&N did buy them and is trying to forcefully sink the ship, then I think they need to switch ships and torpedo their former one.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:52 PM   #37
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by capidamonte View Post
Does anyone else read that stupid name as "Pube It" or is it just me.

cap
Sounds like a cheap no-name knockoff of an eighties video game.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:03 PM   #38
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
The Wall Street Journal ran an article a couple of months ago about how entities that are acquired by BN seen to disapear shortly thereafter.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:10 PM   #39
BVLarson
Author
BVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
Capid: I agree with you, the name "Pubit" is very lame.
Advocate: I think you are on the right track. When my publisher for textbooks was bought out, that meant they were killing competition and many book titles were axed. Happens all the time in tech and books.
BVLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:54 AM   #40
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
The Wall Street Journal ran an article a couple of months ago about how entities that are acquired by BN seen to disapear shortly thereafter.
Yeah, in the tech world we had several names for that. The most recent, and the one that stuck the most was "doing a Microsoft". IE, Microsoft would see a small company that they felt was dangerous competition, and would promptly buy it up and kill it dead as a doornail. Seagate did that with Conner, and Intel has done that numerous times to other companies as well. It's like SOP in the corporate world. Don't compete. Just crush the competition into oblivion.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:45 AM   #41
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
Well in an additional death knell FW just stopped offering magazine subscriptions. You can still buy individual issues but they are $3.99 or $3.39 with Buywise. I'm kind of peeved because I was just going to renew when I discovered this.
Good grief! This is ridiculous. I wonder if Dell Magazines will start to sell electronic subscriptions directly?

I still have a couple of years on my magazine subs, so hopefully something sensible will have been worked out by the time I need to renew.

Bad luck on your timing though.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:35 AM   #42
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I've got to spend this last 31 bucks in micropay quickly. Hopefully the Rex Stout books keep coming steadily until I can spend it all. I'm wondering how much longer FW will even be open.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:47 AM   #43
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Good grief! This is ridiculous. I wonder if Dell Magazines will start to sell electronic subscriptions directly?

I still have a couple of years on my magazine subs, so hopefully something sensible will have been worked out by the time I need to renew.

Bad luck on your timing though.
I still have over a year on each of mine. But I got the feeling I should possibly renew now. I clearly had the feeling a few days too late. :-P

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #44
Bob Butler
Connoisseur
Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
I still have over a year on each of mine. But I got the feeling I should possibly renew now. I clearly had the feeling a few days too late. :-P

-Marcy
Or you got lucky. It's hard to say what will happen to your remaining issues if FW goes away. It's possible it would convert to a paper subscription.
Bob Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:45 PM   #45
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
This really makes no sense. Fictionwise's 6/15 eBook newsletter just contained ads for magazine subscriptions! What is wrong with them?!

Quote:
We noticed that you've purchased an issue of Analog Magazine. Why not subscribe and never miss an issue? By subscribing, you save over paying the 'newsstand' price, and new issues are delivered to your bookshelf automatically. You can subscribe for one or two years.

And to make your decision even easier, we'll give you a 20% Micropay REBATE for either a one or two year subscription! But don't wait, this rebate will expire on June 24, 2010. The rebate is automatic, you'll see it credited to your Micropay account on your purchase receipt. To subscribe or get more information, follow these links:
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote