Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-07-2010, 08:06 AM   #1
pda_junkie
Enthusiast
pda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watch

Device: Pocketbook 360, Kobo Glo
Do e-ink screens need a screen protector?

I'm waiting on my first ebook reader and would like some feedback on this. I searched the forums and it seems like some people are using them on lcd screens but not much mention of e-ink screens.

Are screen protectors necessary?
pda_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:11 AM   #2
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Depends what you mean. Generally, the screen has a glass substrate which is breakable and therefore you need to protect it. A good case with a front cover is essential in my view for this.
If you mean a plastic front sheet you stick over the device screen to protect the screen from scratches, I haven't used any on my Sony or irex and see no need to. I don't tend to touch the Sony and the stylus on the irex doesn't scratch it. Other users may use such a screen but it won't stop the screen from breaking if you drop it etc.

H
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
Trebro
Connoisseur
Trebro began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I opted not to get a screen. I have a case to cover the front, and I want my reading screen to be as clear as possible.
Trebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
Depends what you mean. Generally, the screen has a glass substrate which is breakable and therefore you need to protect it.
Although that's true, that substrate is beneath the outer screen of the device. I've certainly never used a screen protector on any of my (many) readers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:29 AM   #5
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
When I bought the nook they recommended one of those stick on screen protectors, but all they do is make the clear eink screen cloudy looking. I'll take my chances with scratches.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
I find this too. Quite apart from the challenge of getting it on there without bubbles, I find my PRS505 screen protector makes it look 'dirty', less clear and almost more reflective (whch was strange as I specifically bought a matt one).

I wouldn't buy one again.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:47 PM   #7
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I don't think it's necessary for an e-ink screen. Maybe for the lcd portion on a nook, but not for the e-ink portion. They don't offer any protection from breakage and if you aren't touching it, then you won't need protection from scratches.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #8
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Pocketbook360 comes with its own cover (hard plastic). So while it doesn't protect it while you are reading (attaches on the back) it does while you are not.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:50 PM   #9
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
I use a tuff-luv case to protect my 505 against impact. No problems with scratches (so far) so the screen is unclothed.
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:05 AM   #10
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I don't know if this would work for e-ink devices, but you can make your own screen protectors by buying thin plastic sheeting at a craft or fabric store (like Michael's). I made some for one of my Palms. They are a pain to cut at just the right length -- my Dad made a template and then cut some out for me. But they were a lot cheaper than the commercial ones.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:54 AM   #11
pda_junkie
Enthusiast
pda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watch

Device: Pocketbook 360, Kobo Glo
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Looks like overwhelming "no" so I'll try it without and see how it goes.
pda_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:23 AM   #12
angelbleu
Enthusiast
angelbleu began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry Bold
In my opinion, a screen protector would only be required for "touch" devices.

If you're never going to be touching your screen with something like a stylus, I don't see any reason for a screen protector.

I've used protectors for all my Palm and Windows Mobile PDAs, but not for my Kindle.
angelbleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:49 AM   #13
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
I made some for one of my Palms. They are a pain to cut at just the right length -- my Dad made a template and then cut some out for me. But they were a lot cheaper than the commercial ones.
If you made them what would you call what your dad did?
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:58 PM   #14
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post
If you made them what would you call what your dad did?
The actual work?
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #15
JLYates
Connoisseur
JLYates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 900BC
I bought at Wal-Mart a static cling scrren protector, it is supposed to cut down glare and protect the touch screen.

I didn't check and realized after I got home that it fits the 505 and 700 series (sony) and Kindle 1 and 2 (not DX). But I am going to try it anyhow.

So I guess in a few weeks I can give some feedback as to how it does.

Janette
JLYates is offline   Reply With Quote