Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-22-2009, 04:31 AM   #1
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Mobipocket Desktop to get enews in ePub?

Hi,

I usually enjoy reading full-content enews retrieved from Mobipocket desktop. It is very fast and reliable. The issue is Mobi produced .prc files which has less support from many ereader devices. So it would be nice if Mobipocket can produce enews in ePub as well. I know Mobi is a dead product with no further enhancement; but is there any work around solution?

I tried Calibre, an excellent universal software, which can also retrieve full-content enews in ePub format. The problem is Calibre always drags my PC/notebooks (Dual-core 1.66Ghz, 1.5GB memory) until it is unusable, not responding, freeze, etc.; even I set the priority to low, during retrieving my enews. I cannot even abort the process because my notebook would not respond to the keyboard.

Would appreciate any recommendation.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:22 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Convert the MobiPocket eNews from MOBI to ePub using Calibre. Note that if the file is .prc you will first have to rename it .mobi.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Convert the MobiPocket eNews from MOBI to ePub using Calibre. Note that if the file is .prc you will first have to rename it .mobi.
Why do you have to change the extension? I've had no problem converting .prc files to ePub, just curious if changing to .mobi is something I should be doing for some reason.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:58 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Why do you have to change the extension? I've had no problem converting .prc files to ePub, just curious if changing to .mobi is something I should be doing for some reason.
Perhaps it is only the output from Calibre that can't be .prc, see PRC output. If .prc input works, it should be identical to .mobi input.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote