Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 09-10-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Hourglass of Death...

So, I was finally able to get the 33g firmware installed on my system. There definitely seem to be some nice improvements in how it handles PDFs (The page turns are much faster). In addition, at least so far, it seems to handle text better than the old firmware I am currently on.

Unfortunately, my luck with epubs has been somewhat mixed. I had downloaded several Sherlock Holmes books from feedbooks in epub format and loaded them on the reader. A Study in Scarlet, The Sign of the Four and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. When I tried to open the first two books, I would get the hour glass symbol and nothing else. When I got the latter, it opened right up. Now, neither of the novels is particularly long, so it can't be the file size.

Has anyone else noticed this problem?

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:24 PM   #2
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
So, I was finally able to get the 33g firmware installed on my system. There definitely seem to be some nice improvements in how it handles PDFs (The page turns are much faster). In addition, at least so far, it seems to handle text better than the old firmware I am currently on.

Unfortunately, my luck with epubs has been somewhat mixed. I had downloaded several Sherlock Holmes books from feedbooks in epub format and loaded them on the reader. A Study in Scarlet, The Sign of the Four and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. When I tried to open the first two books, I would get the hour glass symbol and nothing else. When I got the latter, it opened right up. Now, neither of the novels is particularly long, so it can't be the file size.

Has anyone else noticed this problem?

--
Bill
Is it illustrated books or just text?
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2009, 10:15 AM   #3
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I am not sure . I know there is a cover illustration included... but that is also true of the Adventures of Sherlock Homes. They are the standard versions you get if you download them from feedbooks.

Ultimately though, it shouldn't make a difference. Any epub file should work the same as far as I am concerned. I will have to see how it handles an html version....

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:40 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I've experienced this two times, and both times I had to plug in the unit to charge it, even though the battery meter showed there was still plenty of juice.

I'm not using the very current update, and it seems to be generally very, very satisfactory for my purposes.

I think I'll wait until a major update happens before I change my current version.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote