Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-29-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Space exploration

I am looking for SF novels that play out in space or on alien planets.

My recommendations:
Alastair Reynolds - Revelation Space series, House of Suns
Mike Brotherton - Star Dragon
Frank M. Robinson - The Dark Beyond the Stars
Greg Bear - Anvil of Stars
Vernor Vinge - A Deepness in the Sky
Stanislaw Lem - Invincible
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:07 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
You MUST read Vernor Vinges' A Deepness in the Sky, which, in my opinion, is one of the best space fiction books of all time.

I also just last weekend finished Samuel R. DeLaney's Nova, which is 40 yrs old and even more cutting edge today than it was back then!

I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2009, 12:14 PM   #3
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
You can get Star Dragon free from the Author's site here
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
You can get Star Dragon free from the Author's site here
Is it any good?
Old 07-29-2009, 12:25 PM   #5
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Is it any good?
It's still on my reading list but just remembered it's the second book from the series, the first is called Spider Star and no yet available on any eformat not even on the dark net
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Stardragon is a pretty good book in my opinion.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:51 PM   #7
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Peter F. Hamilton 'Nights Dawn Trilogy' - I thought it was brilliant!
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:52 PM   #8
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Star Dragon by Mike Brotherton is also in MR ebook section ..

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21675

Diamonds in the Sky also...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41455

Quote:
This is a collection of factually based SF edited by Mike Brotherton. Authors include Jerry Oltion, Wil McCarthy, Geoff Landis, Jerry Weinberg, Mike Brotherton, and many more.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:56 PM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!

Oh right, I read Diamonds in the Sky when they gave it away to us here at MR. Remember all of the confusion over formats, until finally JSWolf and others just took it an fixed it. It is great for young readers!
Old 07-29-2009, 01:10 PM   #10
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Star Dragon by Mike Brotherton is also in MR ebook section ..

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21675

For all the formats :
Star Dragon
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:23 PM   #11
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Go check out Weber, Drake, Leinster, Hogan and others at the Baen free library:

http://www.webscription.net/c-1-free-library.aspx
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:24 PM   #12
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Hi BlackVoid, I see you're a Sony guy, so this won't help you much but the price is right (zero) for Kindle readers for Manifold: Time by Stephen Baxter.

I'm just getting started on it. It hasn't quite grabbed me yet, but some of the criticism on Amazon is that it's too "hard", so I'll probably like it
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:19 PM   #13
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Vernor Vinge - Fire Upon The Deep (Hugo award) and Deepness In The Sky (Hugo award)
C.J. Cherryh - The Pride of Chanur (Hugo nominee), Foreigner, Cuckoo's Egg (Hugo nominee) and Kesrith (Hugo nominee)
David Brin - Startide Rising (Hugo award)

Last edited by wayspooled; 07-29-2009 at 05:24 PM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:25 PM   #14
voidIndigo
Enthusiast
voidIndigo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, REB 1200, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
Hi BlackVoid, I see you're a Sony guy, so this won't help you much but the price is right (zero) for Kindle readers for Manifold: Time by Stephen Baxter.

I'm just getting started on it. It hasn't quite grabbed me yet, but some of the criticism on Amazon is that it's too "hard", so I'll probably like it
It also available for free in the Sony store. I just grabbed it.
voidIndigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:32 PM   #15
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Two nice freebies in the Baen Free Library are
Black on Black and Stars Over Stars by K. D. Wentworth.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote