Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-26-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
A Year with a Kindle

Don't know if anyone else is familiar with Scott Hanselman who is (a) doing cool things at Microsoft with the ASP.NET MVC stuff, and (b) is a Kindle owner.

Thought you might be interested in his comments on a "year with a Kindle": http://www.hanselman.com/blog/AYearW...ndleCases.aspx
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
Don't know if anyone else is familiar with Scott Hanselman who is (a) doing cool things at Microsoft with the ASP.NET MVC stuff, and (b) is a Kindle owner.
As a .Net developer I have been subscribed to Scott's blog for quite a while. I also listen to his podcast and follow him on Twitter.

The only thing I don't get with his review is how he says the Kindle is flimsy and flexes. I don't see that with mine. I certainly am not going to "try" to flex it seeing as how I don't want to break the glass in the screen.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2009, 06:53 PM   #3
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Yeah, I don't find my Kindle flexing at all.

I loved where he referred to one of the slip cases as a "murse." I may be out of the loop, but that's the first time I've heard that word.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:10 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I loved where he referred to one of the slip cases as a "murse." I may be out of the loop, but that's the first time I've heard that word.
Well, he lives in Seattle (Actually Portland I think) and uses alot of the YUPPIE terms.

I assume you know that comes from "male purse"?

BOb
Old 01-26-2009, 10:36 PM   #5
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I've never heard of a Kindle flexing, but interesting article all the same.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2009, 05:27 PM   #6
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
The only thing I don't get with his review is how he says the Kindle is flimsy and flexes. I don't see that with mine. I certainly am not going to "try" to flex it seeing as how I don't want to break the glass in the screen.
No, I wouldn't call the Kindle flimsy at all; no flex. It certainly feels more substantial than my Cybook Gen3 (whose thinner profile and lower weight are great, but lead to more concern about durability/breakage).
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:40 PM   #7
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

I've never thought of my Kindle as flimsy either. Maybe the guy mistreats his

Quote:
...I assume you know that comes from "male purse"?...BOb
I didn't even know purses had gender! Where do you look??
Old 01-27-2009, 05:42 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I actually went to the site to post a question and call him on it, but didn't care to go thru the registration process...
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:50 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I actually went to the site to post a question and call him on it, but didn't care to go thru the registration process...
You don't need to register to post a comment on Scott's blog.

BOb
Old 01-27-2009, 05:51 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You don't need to register to post a comment on Scott's blog.

BOb
Really! Well, here I go.....
Old 01-27-2009, 06:02 PM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Done. For better or worse, I could not let him slide on that......
Old 02-07-2009, 05:26 PM   #12
StanDaMan
Connoisseur
StanDaMan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thanks for the share. Good stuff
StanDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:03 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Scott is selling his Kindle 1... the first $200 gets it. That's a hell of a price.

http://tweba.com/auctions/auction.as...b-bc716738d4f4

BOb
Old 02-10-2009, 09:33 AM   #14
rlparker
Ars longa

Quote:
Scott is selling his Kindle 1... the first $200 gets it. That's a hell of a price.BOb
or maybe less--the auction price right now is $24

It's going to be interesting to see where the market settles on K1 price. Looking at the used ones on Amazon, I see that there are 50 ranging from $240 to $1100
Old 02-10-2009, 04:52 PM   #15
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Im interested to see how the K1 sells as well, since i plan on selling mine to buy a K2
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asp.net mvc, kindle, scott hanselman