Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-04-2008, 08:20 AM   #1
hobbyman
hobbyman began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
text file formatting

Hi, I just bought a Sony 505, my main reason for buying it was to be able to read Project Guttenberg books and text versions of manuals etc, but the included Sony software is terminaly dire, so I installed Calibre on Ubuntu Hardy which is fully patched and up to date.

my problem is with the formating of text files (their layout that is), for example, I converted Dombey and son to LRF and loaded it into the reader, and on the screen with middle sized text the layout is

line of text yada yada .....................
last three words of previous line

totally hopeless for reading .txt books off Gutenberg or other text files (this is at middle font size btw), is their some way I am missing that will reformat the text to read "correctly", as far as I can see you just need to remove all hard coded line breaks, then insert a break after every full stop, and before and after each pair of quotes to reformat the text into a readable form (the reader will take care of the word wrapping? yes?)

hobbyman

PS I have tried that Java tool by ninja_bob but it still leaves sections formatted incorrectly

Last edited by hobbyman; 10-04-2008 at 10:20 AM. Reason: ps
hobbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:04 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyman View Post
my problem is with the formating of text files (their layout that is)
The text file has carriage returns in it that you have to remove. Not sure the best way to do this and retain the paragraphs.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2008, 11:05 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'd use Word to do it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:08 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyman View Post
Hi, I just bought a Sony 505, my main reason for buying it was to be able to read Project Guttenberg books and text versions of manuals etc,
One other reco, at least for the PG books is to look at other sources for the same book that will have better formatting and probably an LRF version available, and if not Mobi and Lit convert really well with calibre.

Best places are here in the eBook section and feedbooks.com. Manybooks.net also has LRF versions in a pinch. But, they don't allways seemed to be as well formated. I think there process is alittle more automated.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:17 PM   #5
hobbyman
hobbyman began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
ok, I did try the HTML files but they where no better laid out, will try the mobibook formats (didn`t think of that), the 505 is much better for reading than my Tungsten, surprising how much that backlight can hurt your eyes.

hobbyman
hobbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2008, 05:18 PM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Did you convert HTML to LRF before uploading? Also, check ebooks section here for manually converted files.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote