Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-08-2008, 01:08 AM   #1
Sharone
Enthusiast
Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle (3) Keyboard
Please help. Brand new and it won't turn on

I just got my Cybook yesterday. Thank you NAEB.

But I'm having trouble with the cybook. I charged it for the required amount of time (using the power adapter) but the light never turned green to indicate "Charge complete" so I simply left it to charge overnight. Next day, light was still red but I figured that it should be alright after 12 hours +. All this while it was displaying the "checkered" page. Pressed the power button and the splash screen came on immediately but the light stayed LED red. Unplugged it from the charger plugged it into my computer thinking to transfer a few books.

It didn't show in XP as New Hardware and no addtional drives were visible under My Computer. Pressed the power button again and screen went blank, so I'm assuming I turned it off. Unplugged the cybook completely and tried to turn it on again. The cybook and the LED light didn't turn on.

I'm thinking battery issue. Also, it's plugged in right now and charging (LED light is red so i'm assuming it's charging) but the battery cover isn't even warm.

Sharone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 02:07 AM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharone View Post
I just got my Cybook yesterday. Thank you NAEB.

But I'm having trouble with the cybook. I charged it for the required amount of time (using the power adapter) but the light never turned green to indicate "Charge complete" so I simply left it to charge overnight. Next day, light was still red but I figured that it should be alright after 12 hours +. All this while it was displaying the "checkered" page. Pressed the power button and the splash screen came on immediately but the light stayed LED red. Unplugged it from the charger plugged it into my computer thinking to transfer a few books.

It didn't show in XP as New Hardware and no addtional drives were visible under My Computer. Pressed the power button again and screen went blank, so I'm assuming I turned it off. Unplugged the cybook completely and tried to turn it on again. The cybook and the LED light didn't turn on.

I'm thinking battery issue. Also, it's plugged in right now and charging (LED light is red so i'm assuming it's charging) but the battery cover isn't even warm.

Okay... First, for your first-time charge, you don't want the Cybook 'ON'. There shouldn't be but a blank display while you charge it for the first time.

So maybe you want to turn it on and press the RESET switch on the back side. Then, when it cycles through the reboot - and gets to the Library screen - go ahead and turn it off and attach it for a charging. No, the battery cover shouldn't get too warm.

Then post back and tell us what happens when you turn it on again.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2008, 08:01 PM   #3
Sharone
Enthusiast
Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Okay... First, for your first-time charge, you don't want the Cybook 'ON'. There shouldn't be but a blank display while you charge it for the first time.

So maybe you want to turn it on and press the RESET switch on the back side. Then, when it cycles through the reboot - and gets to the Library screen - go ahead and turn it off and attach it for a charging. No, the battery cover shouldn't get too warm.

Then post back and tell us what happens when you turn it on again.

Derek
Derek I didn't turn it on before charging. I took it out of the box and charged it without turning it on. However, the screen wasn't blank then. It had the "checkered" screen.

Also, I haven't been able to turn it on. I press the power button and nothing happens. Screen stays blank and LED light stays off, even after holding it down for a few seconds.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:38 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It had the "checkerboard" screen when you took it out of the box? There's something very wrong there - that screen generally means that the firmware is corrupt.

Send an e-mail to Bookeen and request the firmware reflash instruction. Hopefully that will work it for you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:56 AM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It had the "checkerboard" screen when you took it out of the box? There's something very wrong there - that screen generally means that the firmware is corrupt.

Send an e-mail to Bookeen and request the firmware reflash instruction. Hopefully that will work it for you.
Yep. They'll send a firmware update link to you. You'll probably get a version 1.00 build 538 copy to reflash the firmware. And that will be good experience for when they release the next firmware update - which should be soon, I believe.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2008, 05:28 AM   #6
Sharone
Enthusiast

Thanks guys. Will do. Hopefully I won't have t wait weeks for an answer.

Will post as soon as I hear from them.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:59 PM   #7
Sharone
Enthusiast

(Relatively) Quick reply from bookeen

Ok just got a reply from bookeen. They said to check if the battery is well plugged in. My camera is currently MIA (lent it to someone). Can someone please post a picture of the battery connector/plug of their working cybook?

Thanks heaps!
Old 03-10-2008, 06:45 PM   #8
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharone View Post
Ok just got a reply from bookeen. They said to check if the battery is well plugged in. My camera is currently MIA (lent it to someone). Can someone please post a picture of the battery connector/plug of their working cybook?

Thanks heaps!
Here's mine.

Last edited by slayda; 07-15-2013 at 01:12 PM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:02 PM   #9
Sharone
Enthusiast

Thanks Slayda.

That's what mine looks like too. Back to emailing Bookeen then.

The time difference between Australia and France is making this whole process quite long!
Old 03-10-2008, 07:19 PM   #10
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
I don't think it will make any difference, but you can easily unplug the battery if you want to take a closer look at things. It's just a plug that slides in and out. By doing that you can at least make sure it's in right, and you can check the battery connections to make sure it hasn't been a soldering mistake.

Fingers crossed for you, but it doesn't sound good :/
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:35 PM   #11
Sharone
Enthusiast

I tried to unplug the battery but the plug is so small I got worried that I might break something, so I stopped. But it didn't budge one bit while I was trying.
Halk, am I meant to press the top to slide the plug out? When I tried that, nothing happened. Mind u, I might not have pressed hard enuf.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:07 PM   #12
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Any time I've removed plugs like that I've just pulled gently and given them a bit of a wiggle. If that fails, I've taken a jewelers screwdriver and used that to apply a bit of leverage.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:47 PM   #13
Sharone
Enthusiast

Thanks Halk, got it.

Unfortunately, like you said, it didn't make a difference. Starting to look like I have to send the unit back to bookeen
Old 03-12-2008, 07:54 PM   #14
Sharone
Enthusiast

Question for NAEB

Hi guys

I'm waiting on Bookeen to give me the go-ahead but I think I'll need to send my Cybook back for fixing/replacement. I bought it through NAEB. Do I send it straight to Bookeen or do I have to send it through NAEB?

So mad that I finally have my hands on it but it won't work!
Old 03-12-2008, 08:08 PM   #15
binzer
Zealot
binzer doesn't litterbinzer doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
Sorry Sharone, that really bites I think I would just about be ready to cry if that happened to me!

At any rate, I'm pretty sure you send it to Bookeen, but I'm not positive. Might want to email support and double check.
binzer is offline   Reply With Quote