Notices

Old 12-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
StanByk
Connoisseur
StanByk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Paperwhite and Calibre

Hi,

I am considering to buy a Kindle Paperwhite. Before I go ahead and order one, could you guys please help me answer a Calibre related question?. I have quite a big Calbre library on my computer, and I was therefore wondering if I will be able to use the Kindle's Wifi connection to connect to Calibre (running its built-in webserver) in order to sideload books or if I will have to physically connect the kindle to my computer?
Thank you,
Robert
StanByk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Yes, you can use Calibre to email documents from your Calibre library to your paperwhite without plugging it into your computer.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, you can use the Calibre server and the web browser, but personally I find that loading books via USB is a lot more convenient (you can load multiple books at once that way - the server is one at a time).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:59 PM   #4
Scotticus
Scotticus began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Oh Please tell me how to do this! I really want to use my paperwhite with my Calibre server. My phone connects just fine, and my Kindle Fire connects just fine (both via the app). But I have no idea how to get my paperwhite to connect to my content server.....
Scotticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:41 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Do you have a password set? I am not sure the browser can handle the password dialog that calibre-server uses.
(HTTP Digest Auth, rather than a form post + tokens.)

What I did, using the hacked skipstone browser admittedly, was embed the username+password inside the URL.
i.e. http://username:password@calibre-server.example.com
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2016, 08:55 PM   #6
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Edit: I should read above me.....

Yes, including the username/password in the URL works just as well in the built in browser.

Edit: I was pleasant surprised to discover that at some point, Amazon added support for http authentication. Connecting to my Calibre with 5.6.5, I was prompted to enter username/password in a dialogue box. Sorry about the accidental double post.

Last edited by rashkae; 01-27-2016 at 11:43 PM.
rashkae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:38 PM   #7
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
*Delete*

Last edited by rashkae; 01-27-2016 at 11:41 PM.
rashkae is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, kindle, paperwhite